PDA

View Full Version : Air intake Options other than K amp N

RetroJonez
07-11-2022, 07:25 PM
Hey All,

So because I had to tinker, I was double checking my TB sync and had the car started while checking airflow. As I did that, I didn't notice that the plastic K&N tube was rubbing on the alternator and it rubbed through. I don't have the original intake box. I also don't really feel like spending $600 for an new air intake, but what other options are other there?

For the time being I will just exhaust tape it to seal it. But it will bug me having tape wrapped on it, if that even works. This is the kit that's on it now, but I often see people with aluluminum tube kits, like the other image attached. What do they do with the sensor that usually goes into the air box?

Or, should I just exhaust tape it and not worry about it? The second pic looks like something I could build my self with some angled tubing, cut to length, and put filters on it.

Viper98
07-11-2022, 09:56 PM
Hey RJ, I can’t help much, except to say the second pic you don’t wanna do. Why? The filters are on the wrong side of the rad. As it is the engine is sucking in HOT air. That’s not good! The cooler the better!

RetroJonez
07-11-2022, 11:18 PM
I think I'll just do a quick fiber glass epoxy fix on my tube.

ICPREY
07-11-2022, 11:56 PM
JMB makes a great kit for our cars, don't go with the second one pictured.

dave6666
07-12-2022, 03:45 AM

Seriously? You can't see the fail in this? And you want to use tape to fix yours? Oh wait you don't like tape. And think that $600 is too much for a $600 part.

You just can't make this stuff up. Just go to Auto Zone and get the tape. It will be fine. Wrap the whole car in it.

RetroJonez
07-12-2022, 10:48 AM
Seriously? You can't see the fail in this? And you want to use tape to fix yours? Oh wait you don't like tape. And think that $600 is too much for a $600 part.

You just can't make this stuff up. Just go to Auto Zone and get the tape. It will be fine. Wrap the whole car in it.

Calm down man. It's a plastic part, and it's probably an 1/8 inch hole. But for your approval, I ended up just ordering a new intake kit.

That car was clearly wrecked, from the angle I wasn't sure where the original location would have been, but on second look, they were clearly behind and bent down. It thought it could have still been above the rad. (Also, it was the first picture of that style I found) Unfortunately I have seen way to many implementations like that, and they also seem to never use an airbox like the K&N, why I asked the question. Also, it seems some viper stores have no problem selling that style kit. AGAIN, why I asked the question. https://www.theviperstore.com/Viper2_Products_Performance_Air_Intake.htm

The money really isn't an issue, I can afford to go spend $600 for one tube. But, a fiberglass patch and epoxy resin would be more than enough to patch a tiny hole.

Anyway, I will also check out JMB, the new K&N kit won't be here till next week, so I can always send that back and go a different direction.

RetroJonez
07-12-2022, 10:50 AM
JMB makes a great kit for our cars, don't go with the second one pictured.

Awesome, thanks. This looks like a much better option. https://jmbperformance.com/product/viper-cold-air-setup-4/

Dan Cragin
07-12-2022, 05:34 PM
We did extensive testing on the Gen 1-2 air intake and the stock airbox with K&N filters and smooth tubes made 10-12 rwhp and was repeatable hot.
I worked directly with K&N on that carbon airbox setup, but it just did not work, the inlet tubes where too small and the box did not seal well, letting hot air in.

Bigger throttle bodies did not help as well (on a stock motor).

I have a stock airbox if you need one.

RetroJonez
07-13-2022, 11:38 AM
We did extensive testing on the Gen 1-2 air intake and the stock airbox with K&N filters and smooth tubes made 10-12 rwhp and was repeatable hot.
I worked directly with K&N on that carbon airbox setup, but it just did not work, the inlet tubes where too small and the box did not seal well, letting hot air in.

Bigger throttle bodies did not help as well (on a stock motor).

I have a stock airbox if you need one.
Pm sent

Bill Pemberton
07-14-2022, 07:56 AM
Dan beat me to it, but Mark Jorgensen and I tested plenty of set ups while at Woodhouse Dodge ( he now works at Woodhouse Bentley ) and the stock box with K&Ns worked the best. You can rely on Dan Cragin's advice 120 % of the time, he is a legend in my mind and in reality!!

RetroJonez
07-14-2022, 09:57 AM
Dan beat me to it, but Mark Jorgensen and I tested plenty of set ups while at Woodhouse Dodge ( he now works at Woodhouse Bentley ) and the stock box with K&Ns worked the best. You can rely on Dan Cragin's advice 120 % of the time, he is a legend in my mind and in reality!!

Good stuff, I was searching last night, and found a few threads from a while back that reviewed the test. Looks like they nailed it with the stock intake system.