PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Polish Wheels

04BlackSRT10
06-30-2022, 12:04 PM
The wheels on my SRT10 are pretty dull and swirl-marked. Do these wheels have a clear coat on them or is it just bare metal? What would be the best way to polish them back to looking new?

Steve-Indy
06-30-2022, 12:52 PM
You may want to read this old thread before you decide about the wheels.

https://www.viperclub.org/vca/threads/whats-the-finish-on-sidewinders.665367/#post-3177588

uvbnbit
07-01-2022, 05:38 AM
most likely Alcoa Dura-bright. read up on that too if it's not in thread above

Steve M
07-01-2022, 07:06 AM
most likely Alcoa Dura-bright. read up on that too if it's not in thread above

You should click on the link...you might be surprised.

Or not.

04BlackSRT10
07-01-2022, 09:35 AM
So, according to the link my car is too old for the Dura-bright, so it must be clear coated metal. Thanks, guys!

Steve-Indy
07-01-2022, 09:46 AM
You may want to read the "Viper Alley" article quoted be Doug Shelby (SSGNRDZ_28) a little more closely:

"Alcoa began supplying one-piece forged aluminum SRT wheels on the Dodge Viper SRT10 in 2002. The company has supplied wheels for all SRT8 fitments, including Chrysler 300C, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, Dodge Magnum and Jeep Grand Cherokee since 2004. 2009 will signal the first applications of Dura-Bright(R) technology to the Chrysler SRT organization. Look for "db" engraved on Dodge Viper SRT10 and Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 wheels, to identify them as being specially treated with Alcoa's patented Dura-Bright(R) technology.
Along with the benefits of easy to clean Dura-Bright(R) technology, all SRT wheels by Alcoa are forged from one piece of aerospace grade 6061-T6 aluminum. The forging process aligns the grain of the metal producing a strong and durable wheel with light weight benefits to enhance vehicle performance and fuel economy. Forged aluminum wheels by Alcoa are typically twice as strong while reducing weight by over 20 percent as a comparable cast aluminum wheel."

Grimlock
07-01-2022, 04:21 PM
You may want to read the "Viper Alley" article quoted be Doug Shelby (SSGNRDZ_28) a little more closely:

"Alcoa began supplying one-piece forged aluminum SRT wheels on the Dodge Viper SRT10 in 2002. The company has supplied wheels for all SRT8 fitments, including Chrysler 300C, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, Dodge Magnum and Jeep Grand Cherokee since 2004. 2009 will signal the first applications of Dura-Bright(R) technology to the Chrysler SRT organization. Look for "db" engraved on Dodge Viper SRT10 and Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 wheels, to identify them as being specially treated with Alcoa's patented Dura-Bright(R) technology.
Along with the benefits of easy to clean Dura-Bright(R) technology, all SRT wheels by Alcoa are forged from one piece of aerospace grade 6061-T6 aluminum. The forging process aligns the grain of the metal producing a strong and durable wheel with light weight benefits to enhance vehicle performance and fuel economy. Forged aluminum wheels by Alcoa are typically twice as strong while reducing weight by over 20 percent as a comparable cast aluminum wheel."

This is really interesting to read. While it sounds like polishing them is significantly more complex, I'm glad to know my 09's 6 spoke wheels are forged. I wonder how much they weigh.

Steve M
07-01-2022, 06:19 PM
This is really interesting to read. While it sounds like polishing them is significantly more complex, I'm glad to know my 09's 6 spoke wheels are forged. I wonder how much they weigh.

Someone weighed a set back in the day, and I copied it down for posterity:

OEM 6-Spoke Front (18x10) - 21.4 lbs each
OEM 6-Spoke Rear (19x13) - 26.6 lbs each

So not the lightest, but certainly lighter than my OEM 5-spokes that came in at 26.5 lbs front, 31.0 lbs rear.