PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Window Because of Broken Plastic Window Bosses

Ebby
05-21-2022, 05:26 PM
Two weeks ago, I shut my driver's-side door on my 2015 GT and heard an unpleasant sound. When I tried rolling up the window afterwards, it was stuck. Since I have the extended Dodge "Factory" warranty, I took it in, but two days later I was told it's not covered because the "warranty" excludes glass and that I had to pay $230 for the "diagnosis."

Meanwhile, this is a known problem because both passenger and driver's-side windows on Gen Vs are attached to their regulators with two crappy plastic bosses that are prone to breaking. The dealer wanted over a thousand dollars and that entailed replacing my window needlessly. Plus, it wasn't even sure how long it would take to get the window from the factor because apparently all Viper parts are on backorder right now.

Notably, I spoke with the technician and he told me that ever since Fiat acquired Dodge, he's been seeing crappier and crappier component parts being used. This I can confirm myself. I also have a 2005 SRT10 and that car is solid. The Gen V is pretty, but they've nickel-and-dimed on the stupidest things (the plastic shifter cap for example).

Either way, Douglas Shelby Engineering sells a kit that replaces the cheap plastic factory bosses with metal ones. The two door kit is only $150 ( https://www.dougshelbyengineering.com/collections/gen-5/products/2003-2017-gen-iii-iv-v-window-boss-kit ). So I ordered it for both sides and because I didn't want to do this myself, I figured it won't be hard to find some window repair business to come out and fix it. After all, I'm in Los Angeles, so there's it's got to be easy right? Wrong.

I called Safelite, but they said they don't want to mess with a Viper and so did a couple of other places. I then found a place called Santa Monica Express Auto Glass and called them yesterday. They sent a guy out to me today who replaced the bosses on both doors in about an hour and charged $250 for everything. He said they go out all over SoCal, even San Bernardino, so if anyone here is within that range, look them up ( https://www.santamonicaexpressautoglass.com ). The Windows are fine now and feel more stable than before, -- no more rattle as they roll up and down like they used to with the cheap, plastic factory bosses.

If you haven't made this fix, I HIGHLY recommend it because it's a headache when that window gets stuck. I'm likely going to be dealing with the warranty separately because this should've been covered. So just an FYI for anyone who's either having this problem now or will have it in the future.

Steve-Indy
05-21-2022, 06:11 PM
I would have argued that it was a mechanical issue, not broken glass. Next step would be to speak with zone rep as well as Chrysler Customer Support. Followup letters to Chrysler/Dodge VP's have also added to successes in cases where the usual turn-down-on-first-round warranty issues.

That said, glad to hear that you got your issue(s) fixed.

Ebby
05-21-2022, 06:22 PM
I went through all that; they're morons! The poor dealer tried too, but didn't get anywhere. The trouble is that it's not a true extension of the factory warranty like you get when you buy a Mercedes extended warranty, or even GM extended. It used to be good. I remember for my Gen 3, I had no issues. But FCA is a different animal and I guess they need to keep getting sued until they learn their lesson.

Pappy
05-21-2022, 06:27 PM
Maybe I'll just trade mine for a new Viper. Here is the letter I got from my local Dodge dealer.

Michael,

We often receive requests for pre-owned vehicle models similar to yours. According to our records, it appears you have approximately 0 payments remaining on your 2016 Dodge Viper and are paying approximately $0.

Being able to acquire vehicles that we have either sold, serviced or both that we can add to our Pre-Owned inventory is the best possible scenario. In a search of our customer records I identified your car as a perfect match for us. As compensation to you, if we could upgrade you to a newer Dodge Viper keeping your payments about the same, would you consider letting us purchase your car?

Best regards,

Pappy

Ebby
05-21-2022, 06:33 PM
Say YES and let's see what they give you.

The sad part is that in about 5 years, an electric Honda Civic with 1,000 hp (for no discernable reason whatsoever) will pass us up on the freeway and make us look like we're standing still.....

ViperGeorge
05-21-2022, 06:36 PM
My Viper tech replaced a broken window boss in my 2014 using the DSE part. He covered it under my extended warranty somehow.

Steve-Indy
05-21-2022, 06:37 PM
Not doubting your efforts, but holding their feet to the fire has been quite successful in our region...even dating back to the Gen I hood issues and carrying through to a delaminating carbon fiber hatch problem on anodized carbon car...that they wanted to deny as "paint issue" rather than body panel issue. Persistence netted new hatch. Same goes for reimbursement for outside shop repair for recall problem. One can generally benefit from "club connections".

Sadly, these warranty coverage situations are getting to be more frequent in occurrence...along with no spare parts and discontinuance of several Viper fluids.

Ebby
05-21-2022, 06:45 PM
I actually sued them in a class action because they were refusing to pay dealers who didn't have viper-techs on staff. The trouble is that not enough people own vipers to begin with and of those, not that many have the extended warranty. But at least now, I can take the car to a nearby dealer.

And in the end, I'm afraid these beautiful cars are simply going to go the way of the 500ci dinosaur block.

Steve-Indy
05-21-2022, 06:58 PM
Interesting info...especially since they stopped offering the Viper Tech training classes before they stopped producing the car. At that time, a level 3 master tech could do warranty and recall work with the dealer still getting paid.

Ebby
05-21-2022, 07:00 PM
That's the trick they tried to pull. It's all FCA. Dodge was good.