PDA

View Full Version : Wide Band/Air Fuel Recording

Jack B
04-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Hopefully this shows up well enough to view. This is a 2nd gear run from 3000 rpm to 6000 rpm. The foot went to the floor at 3100 and releases at at 6038.

The following PIDS are logged:

RPM
Pedal Position (this is a relative position, 92% is WOT)
Throttle Position (this is a relative position, 86% is WOT)
IAT
Timing/Advance BFTDC
Air/Fuel Ratio - once it stabilizes the a/f is a flat 12.5 at WOT or near perfect.

This run was done with ESC "on", the roads are still cold. I am going to repeat the same run with ESC "off", once the weather warms up. If you look at the RPM, it looks like there was a little wheel slip, that corresponded to a very small correction in the throttle slope.

I have put about 300 miles on the Balenger's since the install. The Corsa exhaust has been on for approx 2000 miles. I don't know why the Balenger's would break-in, however, the combination has a far different sound from day-one with both installed. The sound is deeper, that oem raspy sound is totally gone, if you like engine sound, the combo of the corsa/balenger's is excellent.

Bruce H.
04-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Little hard to see, but it looks like:

-the throttle opening % ramps up a little slowly after the pedal goes WOT. Presumably the ECU making it a little less likely to break the rears loose for the unsuspecting?

-timing advance reduces as rpm climbs towards the engine's torque peak (4738 rpm, 17.33*) and then increases back again out to redline (26*). ECU is providing as much advance as it can take without pre-ignition?

-AFR looks good at 12.5.

-IAT cools slightly from 66.2F to 60.8F as rpm and airflow increases, and that's maybe only slightly above ambiant as you said it was cool weather.

If I'm reading all that right it looks like it is running a safe, but excellent tune, and your IAT shielding is very effective. What are your thoughts on your readings?

Bruce

Jack B
04-08-2014, 10:33 PM
You hit a home run. One more item, just a guess, but, the throttle is probably controlled to give max torque under the curve. Contrary to what is thought, a WOT does not always give you max torque at lower rpm's. The ambient air was approx 50 deg, therefore, the IAT differential was only about ten degrees. I just cannot get over the sound, at WOT it is getting close to the sound of my catless Gen 2.

Little hard to see, but it looks like:

-the throttle opening % ramps up a little slowly after the pedal goes WOT. Presumably the ECU making it a little less likely to break the rears loose for the unsuspecting?

-timing advance reduces as rpm climbs towards the engine's torque peak (4738 rpm, 17.33*) and then increases back again out to redline (26*). ECU is providing as much advance as it can take without pre-ignition?

-AFR looks good at 12.5.

-IAT cools slightly from 66.2F to 60.8F as rpm and airflow increases, and that's maybe only slightly above ambiant as you said it was cool weather.

If I'm reading all that right it looks like it is running a safe, but excellent tune, and your IAT shielding is very effective. What are your thoughts on your readings?

Bruce

Bruce H.
04-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Very nice. Once I get settled into my TA a bit I'll be reviewing your very informative threads to see what I might want to upgrade. Thanks for all your hard work, and for sharing it with us.

Bruce

sharmut
04-09-2014, 12:26 AM
Hopefully this shows up well enough to view. This is a 2nd gear run from 3000 rpm to 6000 rpm. The foot went to the floor at 3100 and releases at at 6038.

The following PIDS are logged:

RPM
Pedal Position (this is a relative position, 92% is WOT)
Throttle Position (this is a relative position, 86% is WOT)
IAT
Timing/Advance BFTDC
Air/Fuel Ratio - once it stabilizes the a/f is a flat 12.5 at WOT or near perfect.

This run was done with ESC "on", the roads are still cold. I am going to repeat the same run with ESC "off", once the weather warms up. If you look at the RPM, it looks like there was a little wheel slip, that corresponded to a very small correction in the throttle slope.

I have put about 300 miles on the Balenger's since the install. The Corsa exhaust has been on for approx 2000 miles. I don't know why the Balenger's would break-in, however, the combination has a far different sound from day-one with both installed. The sound is deeper, that oem raspy sound is totally gone, if you like engine sound, the combo of the corsa/balenger's is excellent.

Hi Jack,

What are you using to log the data? I'm familiar with using a Vagcom from Ross-Tech for my AUDI.

Jack B
04-09-2014, 07:30 PM
The OBD interface/gauge face is a product called the DashDaq. It can log any of the 48 Chrysler PIDs. It also can accept two 0-5V analogs. I am taking the 0-5V output from an Innovative LM2 wideband controller and taking that signal into the dashdaq. That specific product was just discontinued, however, there are several similar products on the market. If I had to look for a replacement, I would make sure it could read the Chrysler enhanced OBD subset of PIDS.

This set up by no means is a high-end data logger, it is very affordable. One reason I installed the wideband was to prove or disprove the rumor that the PCM was purposely running the engine rich, therefore, not maximizing hp. I found just the opposite, the PCM has the a/f in the hp sweet spot.

Hi Jack,

What are you using to log the data? I'm familiar with using a Vagcom from Ross-Tech for my AUDI.

Bruce H.
04-09-2014, 09:24 PM
I wonder if an "off road" Mopar PCM would primarily quicken the throttle position to better match pedal position in order to give a stronger and more responsive lower rpm powerband? In the past have they gotten more aggressive with AFR and ignition advance, with perhaps a recommendation for 93-94 octane instead of 91?

TrackAire
04-10-2014, 12:06 AM
The OBD interface/gauge face is a product called the DashDaq. It can log any of the 48 Chrysler PIDs. It also can accept two 0-5V analogs. I am taking the 0-5V output from an Innovative LM2 wideband controller and taking that signal into the dashdaq. That specific product was just discontinued, however, there are several similar products on the market. If I had to look for a replacement, I would make sure it could read the Chrysler enhanced OBD subset of PIDS.

This set up by no means is a high-end data logger, it is very affordable. One reason I installed the wideband was to prove or disprove the rumor that the PCM was purposely running the engine rich, therefore, not maximizing hp. I found just the opposite, the PCM has the a/f in the hp sweet spot.

Jack,

Can you please confirm if the DashDaq can read either oil pressure and oil temps as part of the Chrysler PIDs?

Thanks,
George

sharmut
04-10-2014, 05:37 AM

Perfect, appreciate the insight and will look into it.