PDA

View Full Version : Gen 1 full belanger header exhaust anyone have it

laney487
04-12-2022, 03:04 PM
Does anyone have the full on belanger headers and exhaust setup? Does it really add 50hp? Is the sound ridiculous loud? I like to be able to hear the radio lol..

Also just thoughts on taking the stock cat out and just doing a pipe there vs a full on exhaust? I was wanting something i could just do myself.. i seen the belanger kit requires 0 welding.. i could live with the stock exhaust awhile while i save my pennies for one those 3000 dollar belangers if its totally worth it.. wanted your guys opinion!

RedTanRT/10
04-13-2022, 08:49 AM
I’ve got Edelbrock headers (CA smog legal) and a Henessey cat back exhaust on my ‘94 RT/10. It’s not too loud. I’ve had a Belanger set up in my G3 and G4 and wasn’t crazy loud. Headers and a high flow cat and muffler really do add close to 50hp on a G1.

A good cat back set up is about $1500, maybe start there and save up for headers. The cat back will probably get you 20 additional HP, the big lift is with the headers

I still have the OEM radio. I have 3/4 plexi windows, no rear window and a hardtop. Once I get up to 40-50 mph, the radio is pretty marginal to hear! It’s not the exhaust sound, it’s the wind noise for me!!!

SNKEBIT
04-14-2022, 07:12 AM
Get the corsa cat back and my headers. Cheaper. lol

GTS Dean
04-14-2022, 07:45 AM
^right on^ Yeah - don't get yourself in a "pickle."

dave6666
04-14-2022, 12:07 PM
I've got Belanger headers (Gen 2) and Belanger exhaust (Gen 1) on my 2001. No cats and spirals only. It is pretty loud. It dynos at about 435 which if in theory, factory is 390, then claiming 50 hp gain is not that ridiculous.

Texaspettey
04-14-2022, 05:43 PM
On my Gen1, I had Edelbrock headers, high flow cats, moroso spiral flow and magnaflow mufflers. It was loud, but not overly so. The drone around 1500RPM and again around 2500RPM is what will be difficult with a side exhaust. On my Gen2 where I have side exhaust, I have high-flow cats, Borla mufflers, and Vibrant resonators. Everything is welded back to back with as little pipe as possible. It is loud, but the drone is the bad part. There is drone at those same RPMs, which is annoying for long drives. I use Dynatech exhaust cones inserted in the pipes that I can easily remove to counter the drone. They eliminate the drone at 1500RPM and cuts it down significantly at 2500RPM. This makes cruising and drives to/from the track pleasant. I did a DB test at one point to see how much it cut the DB at different RPMs, but I forget the results. I could probably redo that test. I didn't do before/after dyno with the cones.

I would recommend keeping CATs and going high-flow. I don't know that there is much HP to be gained by removing the CATs in total, unless you have some extensive heads/cam modifications. The smell will be worse.

I think I still have my Edelbrock Gen1 headers around in a box if you are interested in them.

dave6666
04-15-2022, 05:36 AM
I've certainly smelled a few nasty catless exhausts before, but my own personal experience with both stock NA and tuned Roe FI packages, is no nasty exhaust smell with my afore mentioned Belanger catless exhaust.

Not trying to ignore the fact there are plenty of negative experiences with catless Vipers, but that shouldn't be a blanket statement that you WILL get the smell if you remove the cats. Just be sure if you do decide to try it, to remove the parts in such a fashion that they can be reinstalled again later.

One thing that may be a factor in my experience is the advice of Dan Lesser / Viper Specialty Performance, who tuned the Roe for me, is he would always preach to use the factory Mopar primary O2 sensors. Which are not Bosch from Rock Auto BTW. The O2s are one of the key components in the a/f. Don't go cheap with them and try to save a few bucks. Use the most correct parts there.

Ross L
04-15-2022, 06:20 AM
IMO got to replace the factory Gen 1 muffler. It tapers down to approx 1.75” on mine. Delete cat, pick a nice muffler and I think you’ll be pleased. I went with 2.5” “glassspack”(s). Loud yea, drone yes, stink no. Good luck!

laney487
04-15-2022, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys.. i think for the right now ill just replace the stock cats with some hi flows to reduce that heat.. ill check into mufflers seems everyone has nothing but good to say about corsa..

laney487
04-16-2022, 08:23 AM
hey ross.. after putting my car on the lift and before i even got the sills off.. i found the previous owner deleted the cats already.. so that parts been done thanks.. previous owner.. lol.. what you think of just taking the stock muffler out and going with one them borla xr1 mufflers... would that be bad for my hearing haha

Ross L
04-19-2022, 03:56 PM
You’ll hear it for sure. Lol. “Loud” is so subjective. My wife has never complained about the sound. And we drove 3500 miles one week. I think you’ll be fine! Others may say it will be too loud. Learn to stay out of the drone. Ha. I wish I had went with the mufflers you’re considering. I have some 3” glasspacks that I want to try next, along with 3” from flex pipe back.