PDA

View Full Version : Rocker arm adjustment

Lunchbox
03-11-2022, 12:33 PM
Just finally got my new pushrods and putting the top end back together this weekend and i'm trying to set zero lash on my harland sharp roller rockers here. All vechicles i've toyed with in the past have been OHV and never had pushrods so forgive me here, however
the concept of adjusting these seems super simple, but seems there is a "done by feel" aspect to it.

Currently i have the following setup:

Brian Tooley Chromoly one piece pushrods, 3/8" diameter, .080" wall
Harland sharp 1.7 roller rockers (adjustable)
New OEM slow bleed lifters (lubed up for install but not pre-soaked in oil overnight, so still spongy feeling when depressed)
New Roe 708R cam to replace stock 2001 GTS creampuff cam.
Roe uprated valve spring kit
Gen 4 head-gaskets

When setting zero lash however, it seems that you're supposed to take the slack out and tighten down the cup on the rocker arm until you're not able to spin the pushrods with your fingers back and fourth. The issue here is, the seems to be
a "by feel" thing and i'm not sure if it should be just ever so slight resistance, or not possible to turn then with thumb+index finger with a slight bit of force. Also once set, the harland sharp instructions say to do 1+1/2 turn and then lock the adjustment nuts down at
18 ft/lbs. Any insight here on if this is or isn't a good idea with 1+1/2 turns? I realize some do less than this.

Any tips would be super helpful. I currently have set zero lash so that i cannot turn the pushrods by thumb+index finger using a little force. I'm thinking this may be too much however and might result in hung valves or valve depth being too much perhaps after doing the final adjustment.

Old School
03-12-2022, 07:18 AM
I never really used the spinning the pushrod approach. It's kind of a moving target, if you overshoot a little bit the pushrod gets snug. But then as the plunger in the lifters collapses the pushrod gets loose.

I just tighten the adjuster until rockers free play is taken up. Basically just a few seconds for each one.

tagoo
03-13-2022, 12:38 PM
I do the spinning and jiggling the pushrod. First, make sure that the bottom of the pushrod is on the base circle of the camshaft (think 180 degrees from the peak of the camshaft). Also, the lifter actually has a lightweight spring inside of it to provide a little resistance. Greg Good told me to slowly tighten the adjuster while I twist and jiggle the pushrod. He said to do this just until the sloppiness and jiggle are gone. Once you are at that point (which is "zero lash"), you will certainly still be able to spin the pushrod between your thumb and forefinger. Greg then recommended that I add one complete turn beyond zero lash instead of 1.5 turns as HS recommends. Then tighten down the locking nut while making sure the adjuster doesn't move. A set of t-handle allen wrenches are useful when adjusting lash and holding the adjuster while tightening the locking nut.

Lunchbox
03-14-2022, 07:36 AM
Thanks all for the info!

Lunchbox
03-21-2022, 10:51 AM
Ended up having to goto 7.400 pushrods to get the right feel so i can adjust them properly.

On another note though, starting to think maybe I made a mistake? The harland sharp roller rockers mention being rating for stock valvetrain components....This is my fault for not seeing this.
I went with the roe upgraded valve springs, wondering if i'm going to run into big trouble here with the spring pressures and the harland sharp roller rockers...? I don't honestly know the spring pressures of the upgraded roe valve springs... they don't list any specs on their site.

Any insight would be appreciated. I don't plan on revving this anything over stock rev limit for what its worth and i'd like to avoid catastrophic failures...

GTS Dean
03-21-2022, 10:57 AM
I would think that as long as you are still running hydraulic lifters and a moderate cam profile, you'll be fine. It's when you are running crazy seat pressures and huge lift that you need the primo equipment.

Lunchbox
03-21-2022, 11:47 AM
Yeah i only really opted for Roe springs (Comp springs?! made to handle just over 0.600″ valve lift) and a Roe 708R cam which is basically a slightly tweaked 708 Cam from my understanding. Running new OEM stock slow bleed lifters.

laney487
04-16-2022, 08:42 AM
did you get the rockers back in, did it improve your power good