PDA

View Full Version : 400K and it s so bad

Gen5snake
02-27-2022, 12:29 PM
I thought this was interesting and would lose my mind even if it cost $25k. Has anyone experience anything that bothered them when they took delivery? All I can say is wow.

https://youtube.com/shorts/8QlzjwGTZRc?feature=share

TrackAire
02-27-2022, 02:05 PM
My buddy has a 2021 720S and the only issue it had was the door grabbing the weatherstripping which the dealer fixed.

Other than that, it is the most bonkers supercar I've ever driven....from 60 mph and up it is warp speed and makes a Viper feel slow. But the most impressive thing is it rides luxury car smooth. It blew away his 2021 911 Turbo S in terms comfort and acceleration.

Lawineer
02-27-2022, 02:22 PM
Welcome to hand made/ ultra low production cars.

IndyRon
02-27-2022, 06:08 PM
720S was my dream car until my wife rented one for fathers day for me in Miami. The car had 6k miles on it, and proceeded to throw 3 separate check engine and suspension lights, wouldn't start a couple time after parking, and eventually broke down on the 16 miles I got to drive it with my son. It also had the most anemic exhaust note I've ever heard and rode like a wagon. Like they say don't meet your heroes... As beautiful as it is, I was convinced that it's time to let that one go as a dream ride in the future.

Aevus
02-27-2022, 08:03 PM
anemic exhaust note, okay, but rides like a wagon... really?

txA&M08
02-27-2022, 08:13 PM
The 720S was the best-riding suspension I've ever felt in a sports car. It's also blindingly fast and has great visibility and ergonomics. Exhaust note is very meh.

serpent
02-28-2022, 12:29 AM
Lol, ive ready nothing but good things regarding the 720s. Reliability on the other hand? Not so much.
But yea, ive read and seen reviews how great a GT car the 720s is. Id trust that over someone that rented one that was possibly a lemon or flogged most of its 6000 miles or so.

PkB2014
02-28-2022, 10:47 AM
Yeah, sounds about right. I definitely feel like a person needs to live in a city with McLaren dealership/mechanics if you want to own one.

TrackAire
02-28-2022, 01:40 PM
Lol, ive ready nothing but good things regarding the 720s. Reliability on the other hand? Not so much.
But yea, ive read and seen reviews how great a GT car the 720s is. Id trust that over someone that rented one that was possibly a lemon or flogged most of its 6000 miles or so.

I just re-watched that video and for a car with "43 miles on it" the engine compartment is very dirty....not sure if there isn't some strange backstory to this car but I'd bet that something is going on.

Just went to a Euro Sunday yesterday with my friend and his 720S.... he now has over 3000 miles on it and loving it.

He too was worried about the potential "reliability problems" of McLarens. I told him he just needs to understand that owning a British car is like being married to a super horny hot trophy wife that maxes out your credit card every month.
It is what it is....enjoy the good parts of it while you can.

Aevus
02-28-2022, 02:14 PM
super horny hot trophy wife that maxes out your credit card every month.

That sure sound scary as hell, can't we get rid of her on BAT ?

Gen5snake
02-28-2022, 03:36 PM
Welcome to hand made/ ultra low production cars.

It's possible they made more of these than Gen 5 vipers. I think McClaren puts out about 4500 cars a year.

TBSH
02-28-2022, 05:19 PM
Not sure how its NOT known they are very junky cars for the money.

Whiskey
03-01-2022, 07:09 AM
I've been toying with selling my Gen5 and getting a 650S vert. Hummmm.

Mikey
03-01-2022, 12:52 PM
Dragtimes is the only owner that I've heard not complain about their 720s

Racingswh
03-02-2022, 02:45 PM
I am in one again this June with a couple drivers who will be sharing the car. Owner is a super nice guy. Car works well for his needs and he is comfortable driving it quickly.

I didn't pay close attention to the fit and finish so I can't really comment other than everything seemed to work as it's supposed to. I just know it didn't catch on fire and we didn't hit anything. A successful weekend in my book. I will take a closer look at it this time around.

Dan Cragin
03-02-2022, 02:45 PM
My partner has 24,000 track miles on his 12C without any issues. The dealer does not care what he uses it for as long as it is stock and he extends the warranty every year. I think its gone through about 20 sets of tires.

Mikey
03-03-2022, 09:01 AM
If he gets his tires through them, I'd say they're still doing well off of him

Dan Cragin
03-03-2022, 11:50 AM
Its interesting, we use Goodyear F1 3R tires on the McLaren, they grip better than the Pirelli slicks the dealer sells for the twice the price.
I wish they came in Viper sizes.

Arizona Vipers
03-07-2022, 10:22 AM
Its interesting, we use Goodyear F1 3R tires on the McLaren, they grip better than the Pirelli slicks the dealer sells for the twice the price.
I wish they came in Viper sizes.
I run the 3R's on my 720s at the track and they are fast. Lots of Nasa guys run them here on just about everything. They are slightly faster than a Hoosier R7 once warmed up.

Arizona Vipers
03-07-2022, 10:27 AM
McLaren puts the money into engineering, motor, trans suspension, carbon fiber tub, design etc, not Honda-like build quality. Even with "low" build quality it is a bargain. Mine has had some quirks. The door top glass broke on the passenger side, it was fixed under warranty. The tilt wheel stopped working, got it fixed, it broke again so I haven't bothered to take it back, don't have the time. None of this bothers me, it's the most beautiful exotic I've ever seen and was the fastest car in the world under a million dollars until the 765 came out and the Plaid under 162mph. I paid $240K for mine and it had 400 miles on it. The value of the 720s boggles the mind.

Lawineer
03-07-2022, 11:15 AM
McLaren puts the money into engineering, motor, trans suspension, carbon fiber tub, design etc, not Honda-like build quality. Even with "low" build quality it is a bargain. Mine has had some quirks. The door top glass broke on the passenger side, it was fixed under warranty. The tilt wheel stopped working, got it fixed, it broke again so I haven't bothered to take it back, don't have the time. None of this bothers me, it's the most beautiful exotic I've ever seen and was the fastest car in the world under a million dollars until the 765 came out and the Plaid under 162mph. I paid $240K for mine and it had 400 miles on it. The value of the 720s boggles the mind.

Little things like fit and finish and QC are extremely hard to do with high cost, low volume production, low model number (They make a lot less models than most OEMs) for a multitude of reasons. Aside from the obvious cost per unit of design time and testing, literally, having people that know about this stuff. GM probably has more engineers working on one small part of a truck than McLaren has developing the whole car. They will have someone with 2 decades of experience for everything with a team under them. McLaren isn't going to have that level of expertise for everything (nor the data/experience) like big OEMs have.

When I worked at Saleen, I think were 4 engineers working on the S7TT and some interns. Obviously, a lot was outsourced, but I that's just the way it is. When I was in the OEM world, there were more engineers working powertrain cooling (all the heat exchangers). I bet I was the only one who ever worked in any professional capacity as an engineer for heat exchangers. No way Saleen would rent an NVH rig and simulate 10 years of driving on a road and do 10 years of corrosion simulation. They wouldn't have the slightest clue on how to do that. In OEM world, we would do actual studies to determine the best durometer of rubber isolators. And then make a few dozen mule vehicles that employees drive around for hundreds of thousands of miles? Just the nature of the beast, no pun intended.

While it's not as sexy, how reliable and solid $30k showroom floor, mass produced car is a far greater engineering marvel than a McLaren or a Ferrari imo.

bluesrt
03-07-2022, 01:04 PM
one of the most exspensive ugliest cars in my book

Scott_in_fl
03-08-2022, 09:59 AM
While it's not as sexy, how reliable and solid $30k showroom floor, mass produced car is a far greater engineering marvel than a McLaren or a Ferrari imo.

To be fair though, mass produced cars get their reliability from being waaaaay less stressed than performance cars, and using materials that never degrade (basically all artificial materials like plastic, plether, etc.). The Japanese MFG's and now the Koreans built their reputation of reliability by refining the art of using cheap materials but making them look good, and by using very understressed powerplants. They build engines that can sing all day at redline because they're not really generating a high specific output.

Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo, etc. are pushing the limits of performance with each new model, which requires them to engineer better ways to generate power and keep things together. They use fine materials that are often delicate and require care and maintenance but we love them and want them (and are willing to sacrifice reliability).

Gen5snake
03-08-2022, 10:37 AM
All in all, there is no excuse for the door to be hitting the body panel. That's poor.

Lawineer
03-08-2022, 10:43 AM
To be fair though, mass produced cars get their reliability from being waaaaay less stressed than performance cars, and using materials that never degrade (basically all artificial materials like plastic, plether, etc.). The Japanese MFG's and now the Koreans built their reputation of reliability by refining the art of using cheap materials but making them look good, and by using very understressed powerplants. They build engines that can sing all day at redline because they're not really generating a high specific output.

Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo, etc. are pushing the limits of performance with each new model, which requires them to engineer better ways to generate power and keep things together. They use fine materials that are often delicate and require care and maintenance but we love them and want them (and are willing to sacrifice reliability).

Stressing stuff can certainly contribute to accelerating wear, but there is much more to it.
The Japanese certainly do detune the shit out of their powertrain, but honestly, engine reliability isn't even the "big" thing. Pretty much every "normal" car and even "high performance normal" cars will easily last 150k of street miles. This includes higher performance cars like supercharged Z06s, boosted Porsches and etc. BMW is the only one that hasn't seemed to figure this out with their hi-perf stuff. Everything but very exotic cars will (because they're so stressed).

Stuff like never having a leak, never having the HVAC vent actuators work forever, no rattles, nothing coming loose, steering still feeling tight, accessories last forever, etc. is the big deal. A 1995 Tahoe will run to 120k miles, no problem. You just wish it died at 50k miles and it probably leaks from every lubricated component, has a million rattles and the steering is loose. A modern 120k Tahoe still feels pretty solid. A 120k GX460/470 feels damn near brand new. That's what is impressive. Not spinning a bearing for 150k miles (while, overall impressive) isn't a big deal these days.

That's why I have a GX. I dont care if the engine will go 200k miles (Tahoe) or 400k miles (GX). I'm not keeping it to even 200k miles. It's because the damn thing feels brand new even after 100k miles. Heck, my old GX470 with 160k miles felt incredible.