PDA

View Full Version : Professional Appraisal

Policy Limits
01-23-2022, 12:30 PM
Has anyone had their car(s) professionally appraised? What company was utilized? What was the cost of the service/report? Where are they located? Was it conducted on line or in person? Was the purpose to determine agreed to value quotations with an insurance company or for sale purposes? Were you satisfied?

Thanks.

Bill Pemberton
01-23-2022, 03:28 PM
Many Insurance Companies just require pictures and a solid description. In the past I have written appraisals for folks when I was selling at Woodhouse, and I am pretty sure John Gastman at Roanoke also has done some of those, but with the value of the Viper climbing rapidly there is a definite awareness with many of the Collector Insurance players. I got things done quite rapidly with Hagerty using pictures and a full description, so you might just try that now, it may save you plenty of time.

aspman
01-23-2022, 06:48 PM
Brian Wiley...Viperenvy,,,,got me a good deal with Haggerty last month on my Demon....

Mikey
01-23-2022, 09:59 PM
Grundy only required 4 pictures

ViperJon
01-24-2022, 07:54 AM
Grundy only required 4 pictures

At half the price as well.

Lawineer
01-24-2022, 09:21 AM
Are you able to get insurance through grundy for just one car?

Mikey
01-24-2022, 09:28 AM
Are you able to get insurance through grundy for just one car?

Yes, i ended up emailing them because their site or whatever the hell I clicked on said you needed 3 vehicles

Viperenvy
01-24-2022, 10:16 AM
At half the price as well.

ViperJon-

First, amazing Viper in your profile!! Very partial the the color scheme.

Second, one the topic of insurance - one size (or company) does not fit all. I check my policy multiple times a year when questions come up on social media. The last time I checked (End on November 2021), the company you mentioned was 35% more. Another was 36% more and the last was 135% more. Why, I have no idea nor could their representatives tell me. I was as close to a comparison as they could get.

Paying more or less may not mean a lot. Trying to get apples to apples comparisons with liability, collision, comprehensive, UIM, etc. can be a challenge. Then there are state requirement differences, personal driving and claims background, age, zip code, county, credit score, area loss experiences, and a whole host of other factors in an insurance company's algorithms. Some, like Hagerty, have "cherished Value" riders to allow the owner to retain the vehicle and receive the check for the insured amount if totalled. For most, this doesn't mean a lot, but for a vehicle that is a pilot or lowest mile of 1 of 14, or unreplaceable, the option is peace of mind.

How claims are handled, internally or 3rd party, can be a factor. Many stories of battling for value after the fact on non-agreed value or stated value policies. If claims are not handled internally, then realize a 3rd party may be compensated on a reduced payout.

Once again, what may be good for me, may not be good for you and vise-versa. It is good for everyone to become educated and understand if the worst happens what do they get. No surprises. Just ask the folks in Colorado who did not understand homeowners what has been learned. You are with a good company and being happy with your choice is 98% of the relationship. They should be happy to have you as a loyal client!

Lastly, we all hope it is a waste of money and never needed.

As for the original topic of appraisals, they vary in cost depending on what is needed. Verifying the vehicle exists to researching & documenting provenance. Depending on value, lending and insurance may require. My experience working with the price guide and underwriting has been favorable to determine appropriate values without appraisals.

Hope this is of help.

248-705-1245

ViperJon
01-24-2022, 12:00 PM
ViperJon-

First, amazing Viper in your profile!! Very partial the the color scheme.

Second, one the topic of insurance - one size (or company) does not fit all. I check my policy multiple times a year when questions come up on social media. The last time I checked (End on November 2021), the company you mentioned was 35% more. Another was 36% more and the last was 135% more. Why, I have no idea nor could their representatives tell me. I was as close to a comparison as they could get.

I don't doubt what you are saying but.....I've owned seven Vipers and a Lamborghini Superleggera and each and every time I bought one I always tried to due my due diligence and price out Agreed Value policies (same coverage) with the major carriers. Without fail Grundy was less ever single time and not by a little. Hagerty was sometimes double. I thought that cannot be true there must be some mistake. But there wasn't. Can only speak from my own personal experience. Also, I know a guy who wrecked his Lambo Performante and Grundy paid him off pretty quick to the tune of 180K agreed value.

Viperenvy
01-24-2022, 12:33 PM
I don't doubt what you are saying but.....I've owned seven Vipers and a Lamborghini Superleggera and each and every time I bought one I always tried to due my due diligence and price out Agreed Value policies (same coverage) with the major carriers. Without fail Grundy was less ever single time and not by a little. Hagerty was sometimes double. I thought that cannot be true there must be some mistake. But there wasn't. Can only speak from my own personal experience. Also, I know a guy who wrecked his Lambo Performante and Grundy paid him off pretty quick to the tune of 180K agreed value.

That is GREAT to know!!

Always good to have good experiences. Multiple good companies to chose from

Mikey
01-24-2022, 03:51 PM

Grundy is nearly half of the cost of USAA, as well

Lawineer
01-25-2022, 08:00 AM
Grundy won't insure me because I have too many claims
5 years ago, someone hit me (zero fault)
2 years ago, a drunk driver hit and totaled my PARKED car.
2 months ago my car got stolen.

None of the cars had a lien (first was a rental) so there's not insurance fraud to be had here either. None were in any way my fault, but apparently that makes me uninsurable. :grumbles:

I don't think I've had an at fault claim in 12 years, and that was extremely minor (paint damage in a parking lot).

Bill Pemberton
01-25-2022, 12:32 PM
Always good to check and Hagerty does offer discounts to SCCA members and some other groups. They do seem to have a little more flexibility on driver's records than Grundy, but either way as noted , always good to check. This time around Hagerty was better for me, but I have noticed over the years, just like conventional Ins. companies, it can vary due to the State the car is registered in.

jpmst3
01-25-2022, 01:36 PM
Hagerty was cheaper for me as well. There are so many variables...

Mikey
01-26-2022, 07:26 AM
Grundy won't insure me because I have too many claims
5 years ago, someone hit me (zero fault)
2 years ago, a drunk driver hit and totaled my PARKED car.
2 months ago my car got stolen.

None of the cars had a lien (first was a rental) so there's not insurance fraud to be had here either. None were in any way my fault, but apparently that makes me uninsurable. :grumbles:

I don't think I've had an at fault claim in 12 years, and that was extremely minor (paint damage in a parking lot).

I had this same experience, except with Hagerty. The quote was nearly 350 a month

Viperenvy
01-26-2022, 07:36 AM
The questions that cause the most discussion on social media:

1. Politics

2. What fluids to use in my vehicle

3. What insurance company

To Policy Limits original question, who has had a vehicle appraised?

Lawineer
01-26-2022, 12:31 PM
I had this same experience, except with Hagerty. The quote was nearly 350 a month
My rate went up $1200/year because of these claims. Funny part is, none of these claims were for the Viper. They were for the daily, which allstate insures.

Policy Limits
01-26-2022, 02:12 PM
To Policy Limits original question, who has had a vehicle appraised?

Glad someone is paying attention...

Pdramarocks
01-26-2022, 07:28 PM
Regarding appraisals, depending on your intention for getting one, the prices of vipers are going up so fast right now that a professional appraisal is likely to be outdated a month or two after it's completed.

Policy Limits
02-05-2022, 02:20 PM
That's a good point. I had a nightmare last night that I auctioned my car and the hammer fell shortly after the reserve came off at 200k. Thankfully it was just a dream....