PDA

View Full Version : Just had a clear bra done - THANK YOU GT VENUM!!!

docwviper
04-06-2014, 08:18 PM
And the install was incredible. I had the entire hood, rocker panels, mirrors, front bumper and rear quarter done. It was expel ultimate/elite, whatever the greatest stuff is. It was done by one of our forum members GT Venum and he did an incredible job. I just wanted to give him props. He worked really hard on the hood and it turned out awesome. I've never had a clear bra done that well before on any of my cars. Thanks again!:dude3:

VENOM V
04-06-2014, 11:57 PM
Man that's so important. Clear bra is one of the hardest things to get right, and if done wrong it can look like your snake has a cheap paint job. Congrats!

GT Venum
04-08-2014, 06:04 AM
Thanks Doc for the kind words.

I am glad you are happy.

Viper Girl
04-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Just curious what the name of the best stuff is?

There's a company near me that has a film that heals scratches in 20 minutes of sunlight... ie they take a sample of this stuff on a painted surface. Scratch it up with a key. Then put it out into the sun to "Heal" Good stuff or will it look like crap on a black car in a short period of time?

sharmut
04-08-2014, 10:12 AM
And the install was incredible. I had the entire hood, rocker panels, mirrors, front bumper and rear quarter done. It was expel ultimate/elite, whatever the greatest stuff is. It was done by one of our forum members GT Venum and he did an incredible job. I just wanted to give him props. He worked really hard on the hood and it turned out awesome. I've never had a clear bra done that well before on any of my cars. Thanks again!:dude3:

Congrats, I'm scheduled to have Opti-Coat and XPEL Ultimate done in 2 weeks. In the meantime Roadwrap will be here tomorrow to tie me over until then. Curious, was the installer able to cover the entire hood with a single sheet or did they use the XPEL 3 piece kit, with the seam running along the scope line?

ViperSmith
04-08-2014, 10:12 AM
The hood is 6'x6', the largest widths I am aware of are 5'

GT Venum
04-08-2014, 12:22 PM
The self-healing film is the Xpel Ultimate and it looks good on all colors and is very easy to maintain.

The hood is done in 3 sections with the 2 seams lining up with the outside of the strip so it is very difficult to see the seam. I don’t believe you could do this hood with one sheet and if you did then you would need to be cutting on the hood with a razor and that never ends well.

Viper Girl
04-08-2014, 01:36 PM
GT V thanks for the response, I'll look for Xpel Ultimate. I was really trying to figure out what to do for protection of the venom black Gen V paint...

First black car is scary to think about chips and detailing :witless:

sharmut
04-08-2014, 02:13 PM
The hood is 6'x6', the largest widths I am aware of are 5'

Spoke to a shop who installs ClearGuard and they have a roll width of 72". Although still does not cover the entire hood in a single sheet.

sharmut
04-08-2014, 02:30 PM
GT V thanks for the response, I'll look for Xpel Ultimate. I was really trying to figure out what to do for protection of the venom black Gen V paint...

First black car is scary to think about chips and detailing :witless:

Yeah, I've decided on:
- Paint correction, 2 stage polish, I'm told will address 90% swirls. It's a shame the vehicle had 6 miles on it, when driven of the lot. It sat on the showroom floor and already plenty of light scratches. Based on the locations of the scratches, my guess was poor wash technique.
- Opti-Coat Pro, 2 layers. Should help make up any clear coat lost during polish.
- XPEL Ultimate, all the typical impact areas. Up in the air about needing to the doors.
- Final layer of Opti-Coat over XPEL. Avoid the need to maintain the film.

Find someone you trust to do the proper prep work, before any coating or film is installed, more so on the coating, being permanent. From what I've read even the Opti-Coat scratches, but does provide the detailer extra layer to polish.
I'm testing Orinda Auto Detail with my 2012 Buick Regal GS before turning over the Viper to them. So far film install is acceptable, they're scared to do custom cuts, some limitations are acceptable with pre-cut pieces.

ACRucrazy
04-17-2014, 07:39 PM
SE WI?
I'd make a road trip from MN to have my ACR done if I know its going to be done right.

Viper Girl
04-17-2014, 07:48 PM
removed OT posts to the SoCal region The Paint Coating Thread (http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/3153-The-Paint-Coating-thread?p=47043#post47043)

GT Venum
04-17-2014, 08:28 PM
SE WI?
I'd make a road trip from MN to have my ACR done if I know its going to be done right.

ACRucrazy if you have any questions feel free to send me a PM and I will help where I can.

FLATOUT
04-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Just got my Gen V done today as well. I feel much better driving it now :D

GT Venum
04-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Just got my Gen V done today as well. I feel much better driving it now :D

I agree, since I have put a clear bra on my own cars I drive them and enjoy them a lot more.

cashcorn
04-18-2014, 10:14 AM
GT Venum, When doing the entire hood with the 3 piece EPEL, are the seams noticeable with the eye or only by feel. I'm really hesitant as I've got silver with no stripes.

GT Venum
04-18-2014, 10:25 AM
GT Venum, When doing the entire hood with the 3 piece EPEL, are the seams noticeable with the eye or only by feel. I'm really hesitant as I've got silver with no stripes.

With the stripes you can not see the seams but with no stripes you would see the seam. Depending on what you are going to do with the car you could do just the front half of the hood. That would probably stop 80-90% of the rock chips.

If you have the lighter silver the seams would not be as visisble if you did the whole hood.

City
04-18-2014, 11:02 AM
What do you charge for a job in New York? :(

GT Venum
04-18-2014, 11:18 AM
What do you charge for a job in New York? :(

That may be a little far.

cashcorn
04-18-2014, 12:19 PM
On the SRT hood, how far up does the template go?

GT Venum
04-18-2014, 12:45 PM
On the SRT hood, how far up does the template go?

It goes up to the top of the first vents.

cashcorn
04-18-2014, 01:03 PM
thanks!

Stealth
04-18-2014, 01:06 PM
For SoCal, I use a guy named Jay Miller. He does excellent work and has no problem cutting custom pieces.