PDA

View Full Version : Viper Rendezvous XIII June 9 12 2022 Registration Open

Fursty
12-23-2021, 09:44 AM
Sorry, for the delayed post, but I wanted to let you all know that registration is officially open for Viper Rendezvous XIII. (Past participants had early registration just over a week ago and as of last Friday, it is now open to all to register.)

We are now just a little over half full. If you want to join us this year, please sign up soon!

This annual viper only track weekend is hosted at the Motorsport Park in Hastings, NE in June.

NEW FOR 2022
TRACK RESURFACED
The track has been newly resurfaced this fall. So, we will have a brand new surface to drive on! It might not be quite as fast, but tire wear will be much improved! One local driver was able to preview the track after resurfacing and 80 miles later, with his street tires, the tires still look brand new!

VIPER RACING LEAGUE
Also, new will be the addition of the Viper Racing League.
The Viper Racing League is being newly organized by another group of Viper drivers and their goal is to have multiple racing and time trial events across the country in 2022.
So, their group asked if they could make the Viper Rendezvous one of their stops this year.

You can participate in Viper Rendezvous one of three ways.
1) Open lapping with or without an instructor just like you have the past 12 years.
2) Open lapping and have your lap times be included in the Viper Racing League Time Trial series.
3) Viper Racing League races which will include daily practice and qualifying sessions as well as 3 races.

Click HERE (https://www.viperrendezvous.com/registration) to Register.

Also, check out the newest Viper Rendezvous video.

https://youtu.be/BzmKVjaXPUE

Arizona Vipers
12-29-2021, 03:25 PM
:dude3::dude3::dude3:

Thawk97
12-29-2021, 03:36 PM
Yup - excited for this one!

Simms
01-03-2022, 01:43 PM
Bummed, can't make it this year for the VRL race.

Arizona Vipers
01-18-2022, 05:26 PM
All signed up for Time Trials!
For anyone that wants practice on Thursday, contact Robert Strickland on Facebook!

Fursty
02-11-2022, 05:09 PM
Viper Rendezvous HPDE and TT is sold out! You can still register and be placed on a wait list in case of cancelations.

The Viper Race League Race group still has openings if you would like to race.

GTS Dean
02-11-2022, 05:20 PM
Congrats to the Rendezvous cadre for selling out this event by mid-February! It's going to be another great one!

Bill Pemberton
02-11-2022, 08:10 PM
The repaving of the track was done with a similar asphalt aggregate that was used at Heartland Motorsports Park in Topeka. Those of us who run there feel like it is the easiest track on tires in the Midwest. The wear at Hastings should now be virtually the same and the great part is Werner Construction even purchased a new machine and the track has only two seams , not the normal 3. The track will be seasoned some, though, because everything was laid this past October. Those going will be super pleased and it should be a very exciting Event. I know plenty of the Crossroad members of VOA will be there to watch and cheer the Snakecharmers on this serpentine road course.

13COBRA
02-12-2022, 12:01 PM
I'm really bummed I can't participate. If I get back to town early enough I may drive up to spectate on Sunday.

Arizona Vipers
02-13-2022, 11:22 AM
The repaving of the track was done with a similar asphalt aggregate that was used at Heartland Motorsports Park in Topeka. Those of us who run there feel like it is the easiest track on tires in the Midwest. The wear at Hastings should now be virtually the same and the great part is Werner Construction even purchased a new machine and the track has only two seams , not the normal 3. The track will be seasoned some, though, because everything was laid this past October. Those going will be super pleased and it should be a very exciting Event. I know plenty of the Crossroad members of VOA will be there to watch and cheer the Snakecharmers on this serpentine road course.

This is great news, last year I chunked one set of my fronts in two sessions. The bad news, it will make my track record easier to beat this year ;)

Arizona Vipers
02-13-2022, 11:23 AM
Viper Rendezvous HPDE and TT is sold out! You can still register and be placed on a wait list in case of cancelations.

The Viper Race League Race group still has openings if you would like to race.

:dude3:

Back In Black
02-13-2022, 12:59 PM

Does that equate to better grip?

GTS Dean
02-13-2022, 04:06 PM
Keith,

As an asphalt pavement guy, I would take Bill's comments thusly:

Low wear = low abrasion/highly polishing stone. I would guess the aggregates used for the new surface would be soft to medium hardness limestone. This would be a track surface that is very sensitive to greening after the sort of rains we encountered at RA last summer, and very slick at first signs of moisture. But, it probably rubbers-up pretty quickly.

New asphalt pavements have all particles in the matrix covered with asphalt binder. Sun and weather cycles oxidize the binder and tires wear off the binder on the surface particles, leaving bare stone exposed. More loading and weathering, particularly in wheel paths, grinds out the fine aggregate mortar from between the large stones and provides more macro-texture for the tires to bite.

Arizona Vipers
02-14-2022, 11:45 AM
Repaves that I've done are always a lot faster. Bonduarant East track was worth 2 seconds and it was only 1 mile track, same with Bondurant's main track. But they were really old and nasty before that. Chuckwalla is 2.7 miles and everyone went about 3 seconds faster. COTA just got resurfaced and it's 2-3 seconds faster right now. It's funny when a track gets resurfaced how many old Nasa guys come out of the wood work to snag time trial records.

GTS Dean
02-14-2022, 04:34 PM
Repaves that I've done are always a lot faster. It's funny when a track gets resurfaced how many old Nasa guys come out of the wood work to snag time trial records.

Because it's ALWAYS smoother! And, everyone can explore their own lines to maximum effect before the asphalt wears off the coarse aggregates on the average line.

Arizona Vipers
02-15-2022, 11:44 AM
Because it's ALWAYS smoother! And, everyone can explore their own lines to maximum effect before the asphalt wears off the coarse aggregates on the average line.

Agreed! And less potholes lol. Our tracks are so bad here.....

13COBRA
02-15-2022, 11:45 AM
Agreed! And less potholes lol. Our tracks are so bad here.....

You should plan a weekend at Heartland Park.

Thawk97
05-27-2022, 11:28 AM
Getting Ready - excited!

Arizona Vipers
06-05-2022, 01:10 PM
FYI I'm out this year. I've got too much business stuff going on. We should start betting on who is getting the fastest lap time this year. Bob Woodhouse coming out of retirement for this means he's not messing around, I'm sure he'll put down a scorching lap. Michael Merrit's monster ACR is going to terrorize as well. Who else is going to be chasing these guys?

13COBRA
06-05-2022, 02:22 PM
Bob has my vote.

He has a bazillion laps at Hastings. I heard the surface is fast too!

Thawk97
06-05-2022, 05:54 PM
Cable it makes me very sad I won't get to see you running this year. The weather is looking really good - maybe we all can peer pressure you into changing your mind?

Bill Pemberton
06-06-2022, 07:30 AM
I will stick up for my old Boss and bet he puts down some killer laps, but the funny thing is he really does not have that many laps at MPH. Sure the Dealerships he started are in Nebraska, but he has been retired and living in Texas for a decade plus. Letting folks know because the sly old fox is just plain fast and he may let others know he has alot of track time in Hastings, when in reality there are others with many more hours destroying the asphalt in the city where Kool Aid was originally made.

Look forward to seeing folks at the Rendezvous, it is always a fun time and the newly repaved track may be just getting really seasoned in ---only time will tell, but we will all find out this coming weekend!

Arizona Vipers
06-06-2022, 12:12 PM
Cable it makes me very sad I won't get to see you running this year. The weather is looking really good - maybe we all can peer pressure you into changing your mind?

hehe thanks buddy! Trust me it sucks, it's just not possible this year. I'm in the middle of selling my business, so if this goes through I'll never miss an event again!

Arizona Vipers
06-06-2022, 12:15 PM
I will stick up for my old Boss and bet he puts down some killer laps, but the funny thing is he really does not have that many laps at MPH. Sure the Dealerships he started are in Nebraska, but he has been retired and living in Texas for a decade plus. Letting folks know because the sly old fox is just plain fast and he may let others know he has alot of track time in Hastings, when in reality there are others with many more hours destroying the asphalt in the city where Kool Aid was originally made.

Look forward to seeing folks at the Rendezvous, it is always a fun time and the newly repaved track may be just getting really seasoned in ---only time will tell, but we will all find out this coming weekend!

For this event, the fastest time isn't just for the fastest car or fastest driver, it takes extreme strategy, timing and a lots of luck due to the no-open passing rules. You WILL hit traffic on every single lap. Too many people coming on track late with cold tires etc. Out of the fastest guys, it will come down to if one gets that magic lap with no traffic.

Bill Pemberton
06-06-2022, 02:18 PM
Oh, I understand Cable, because unlike Bobby Woodhouse I do have a bazillion miles on this track and at barely over 2 miles long it can be hard to get a full lap without traffic. It can be done and I imagine those who have run super fast laps in the past will again conquer MPH with Viper speed. We need to get you back in the future as the track takes a little strategy, though it is really not that extreme, and when you come back and figure that out, you could be even more dangerous than you already are!

13COBRA
06-10-2022, 08:37 AM
Good luck guys! I was really wishing I could have made it work, until my flights got delayed yesterday and I didn't get home until 2am this morning.

Arizona Vipers
06-10-2022, 11:49 AM
Congrats to Back In Black Keith Anderson, he's already laid down a 1.26.286 beating my record! :cool:
Tomorrow morning should be a big battle! You guys can watch the times live here- https://www.race-monitor.com/Live/Race/120000

13COBRA
06-10-2022, 11:58 AM
I knew that track compound would be fast! Enjoy guys.

GTS Dean
06-10-2022, 06:33 PM
Spruill & Ellsworth bros - Old & Middle School Vipers running strong!

Arizona Vipers
06-11-2022, 11:47 AM
Spruill & Ellsworth bros - Old & Middle School Vipers running strong!

Love the Ellsworth boys!

Arizona Vipers
06-11-2022, 11:50 AM
Bob Woodhouse got into the 1.24's yesterday!

GTS Dean
06-11-2022, 12:20 PM
The timing & scoring groups/sessions on that site are really hard to figure out. Kind of frustrating to follow the action.

Bill Pemberton
06-12-2022, 06:54 PM
AARP would like to congratulate Mr. Robert Woodhouse for not only setting the fastest time ever for a door slammer at Motorsport Park Hastings, but also proving that racing improves with age!

Arizona Vipers
06-12-2022, 09:55 PM
AARP would like to congratulate Mr. Robert Woodhouse for not only setting the fastest time ever for a door slammer at Motorsport Park Hastings, but also proving that racing improves with age!

:dude3::dude3::dude3:

13COBRA
06-13-2022, 08:02 AM
Congrats Bob! That's an incredible time at Hastings! Fingers crossed you have video, would love to watch!

Bill Pemberton
06-13-2022, 01:34 PM
Since many Drivers have attended the Viper Rendezous numerous times, the best time they have ever run was documented on the graph above. When one compares those times to the ones recorded in 2022 it is apparent drivers usually improved 1-2 seconds, with some Pentastar Pilots jumping ahead 3-5 seconds. The newly paved, two seamed road course at Hastings has become very quick and more demanding with the increased speed while being very easy on the air filled rubber donuts! Those in reasonable driving distance should consider scheduling another run this coming August 27-28 with the Central Region of NASA. Heh, we all know how you beat your fellow Reptile Racers, you get more seat time , and some more time in Hastings prior to the 2023 will give you an advantage.

drivecentralnasa.com

August 27-28, 2022

I look forward to seeing some of you there in a couple of months!!

13COBRA
06-13-2022, 01:45 PM
Since many Drivers have attended the Viper Rendezous numerous times, the best time they have ever run was documented on the graph above. When one compares those times to the ones recorded in 2022 it is apparent drivers usually improved 1-2 seconds, with some Pentastar Pilots jumping ahead 3-5 seconds. The newly paved, two seamed road course at Hastings has become very quick and more demanding with the increased speed while being very easy on the air filled rubber donuts! Those in reasonable driving distance should consider scheduling another run this coming August 27-28 with the Central Region of NASA. Heh, we all know how you beat your fellow Reptile Racers, you get more seat time , and some more time in Hastings prior to the 2023 will give you an advantage.

drivecentralnasa.com

August 27-28, 2022

I look forward to seeing some of you there in a couple of months!!

I'll be there! Can't wait to see what the new surface feels like! I doubt I can touch Bob's time, but I'm sure gonna try!

GTS Dean
06-13-2022, 04:03 PM
AJ can wheel Baby Girl pretty darned well. 3rd fastest overall! He's also pretty handy with Carbon Girl too...

Thawk97
06-16-2022, 12:33 PM
I'm nowhere close to the top times, but improved this year and had a ton of fun doing it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5NBCgkT8kY

Cody's Car Conundrum
06-16-2022, 02:28 PM
Speaking of Woodhouse, here's his heroic Comp Coupe gettin' it into the last turn:

13COBRA
06-16-2022, 02:30 PM
Speaking of Woodhouse, here's his heroic Comp Coupe gettin' it into the last turn:

Gorgeous! Great shot!

Back In Black
06-16-2022, 10:14 PM
Mike Kirsch behind the wheel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rbirScBkBU

13COBRA
06-17-2022, 07:59 AM
Fast!

Here's Bob's. What an incredible lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vjG_MIX8x4

Bill Pemberton
06-17-2022, 09:55 AM
Positive proof one can go through turn 3 at 90 mph , er, damn near 100 mph, ha,ha. Most folks think they go through that corner at 90, because that is what they see when they look down. In reality they are probably doing 80 or so. To see Bob rip through there at 96 or so is insane and to do 7-8 at 111 mph is mind bobbling ---- new word in tribute to the flying Bobsled " Woody" Woodhouse. Day - yam!!!

13COBRA
06-17-2022, 10:12 AM
Positive proof one can go through turn 3 at 90 mph , er, damn near 100 mph, ha,ha. Most folks think they go through that corner at 90, because that is what they see when they look down. In reality they are probably doing 80 or so. To see Bob rip through there at 96 or so is insane and to do 7-8 at 111 mph is mind bobbling ---- new word in tribute to the flying Bobsled " Woody" Woodhouse. Day - yam!!!

Yes!

I won't be up there until August. I don't think I'll be any where near Bob, but after watching his video several times, it definitely gives one more confidence in the high speed corners.

Back In Black
06-17-2022, 01:28 PM

That got me curious....I think this was my highest mph through turn 3. Not on my fastest lap though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGc3yA01mzg

13COBRA
06-17-2022, 02:10 PM
That got me curious....I think this was my highest mph through turn 3. Not on my fastest lap though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGc3yA01mzg

And in jeans nonetheless haha

Why does your hood float so much?

Back In Black
06-17-2022, 02:24 PM
And in jeans nonetheless haha

Why does your hood float so much?

It's just a flimsy fiber shell. Lots of air pressure trying to lift it off the DZUS fasteners. LOL It was a lot worse before. It looked like it was going to break in half. I reinforced the rear edge and added two more fasteners mid way up the sides for a total of 6.

13COBRA
06-17-2022, 02:25 PM
It's just a flimsy fiber shell. Lots of air pressure trying to lift it off the DZUS fasteners. LOL It was a lot worse before. It looked like it was going to break in half. I reinforced the rear edge and added two more fasteners mid way up the sides for a total of 6.

Got it!

Car looks like it ran strong all weekend, great times!

Fursty
06-17-2022, 03:18 PM
Final results for the weekend.

Link
RESULTS (https://www.viperrendezvous.com/_files/ugd/3292f2_98c2a512548546b1b7527e24303713e3.pdf)

Bill Pemberton
06-21-2022, 03:52 PM
I think a lot of folks are wondering what the final tally was for the Charity Auction and how much did the Viper Rendezvous participants contribute to Children's Hospital in Omaha. Thanks.

Back In Black
06-21-2022, 04:18 PM
I think a lot of folks are wondering what the final tally was for the Charity Auction and how much did the Viper Rendezvous participants contribute to Children's Hospital in Omaha. Thanks.

It was north of $20,000. I read it somewhere but can't find it now.

Bill Pemberton
06-22-2022, 05:35 AM
Just wondering Keith as I heard a number much higher than that and was wondering what was raised --- the Viper Trackrats were super generous!

GTS Dean
06-22-2022, 07:40 AM
I just checked with Rob Strickland and he said the correct figure is about $22k.

Cody's Car Conundrum
06-22-2022, 04:27 PM
Gorgeous! Great shot!

Thanks! Might be my favorite photo from the weekend (though I still have plenty left to edit)!

Toxic
06-22-2022, 08:26 PM
You did a great job Bill. Very entertaining.

Bill Pemberton
06-24-2022, 07:39 AM
Thanks Toxic, but it is just so heartwarming to see how this Event has always been so generous to worthy causes. In the early days when I was still at Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram the Auction benefited the " Backpack Program " which the Woodhouse Auto Family supported and this continued for many years. That program provided hunger deprived school children with food over the weekend during the school year. It was so cool that many Viper participants brought items for the Auction and this year it was absolutely unbelievable what drivers brought. It was touching to witness the generosity of my fellow Viper owners and it is so cool that this has become a part of the Viper Rendezvous.

Fursty
06-24-2022, 09:44 AM
We had e-mailed all of the drivers the auction results earlier this week. Sorry just posting the information here now. Below is what was sent to the drivers.

"The 2022 Viper Rendezvous weekend was the BEST Viper Rendezvous we have ever had. We want to thank each and every one of you for coming to the event, supporting the event, and also for contributing to and buying items at the auction. We are amazed and so very pleased to let you know we raised $22,000 to donate to the Children's Hospital of Omaha. Paige will be personally delivering the proceeds from the auction to the hospital in early July."

I also want to personally thank all of you that were at the event as your generosity is very much appreciated by my family and me as Paige is our daughter. For those of you that don't know, Paige has had Crohn's disease since she was in 5th grade. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Nebraska Lincoln. She is majoring in Biology with a goal of becoming a pediatric gastroenterologist doctor so that she may help children like her that have Crohn's and other GI diseases. She is a patient and has received tremendous care over the years from the doctor's, nurses, and staff at Children's Hospital in Omaha.

Arizona Vipers
06-28-2022, 10:37 AM
Very cool story Ryan!!!! Great job everyone!

13COBRA
08-31-2022, 08:39 PM
Definitely a ways off, but just got my meeting announcement... I'll finally be able to make it to a Rendezvous next year!

Bill Pemberton
09-01-2022, 06:36 AM
Good news and you will love the competition, because it is really close. There will be plenty of Vipers shod with Gummi Bear tires , so don't show up on Continentals , ha!

13COBRA
09-01-2022, 07:44 AM
Good news and you will love the competition, because it is really close. There will be plenty of Vipers shod with Gummi Bear tires , so don't show up on Continentals , ha!

I'll probably invest in some new stickers haha