PDA

View Full Version : Car doesn't wan't to start

herbbone
04-05-2014, 03:45 PM
After being tucked away since Oct. I finally get weather good enuff to get it out of storage. Place does not have electricity in the winter so a tender is not an option. Went through the previous winter fine. Also had a new battery put in last summer. So I go to start it after a small but probably not long enuff charging. Turn alarm off, turn key, fuel pump engages, try to crank not, enuff to crank. Decide to get battery to full, overnite slow charge. Now will crank but won't start. Fuel pump seems to be in anti theft mode, will not engage. Pulled wheel and got to the battery, disconnected Pos terminal and touched it to ground (not neg on battery but frame) still same thing. Any thoughts? I still say it is in some anti theft mode that hasn't cleared.

herbbone
04-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Oh. it's a 96 RT/10.

Steve-Indy
04-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Call me.

Good to speak with you.

jdeft1
04-05-2014, 06:27 PM
I install tenders on my old cars (even my lawn mower) so never experienced the dead viper stuff. That said, I was concerned about the alarm kill-my-viper thing.

I decided to experiment...... I killed mine, 'stole' it and let the battery die while armed a few years ago. It was in my garage.......

Needless to say, there are several ways to get your old viper going again after a battery failure. If you have the key it's easy. If you don't it's also easy but I'll never tell. (S-Indy prompted me into this quest several years ago and it became a challenge). While it's not specifically written, if you have the training manuals it's not hard to discover.

Every serious owner should know how to reset the sam module.

Cheers!

JonB ~ PartsRack
04-05-2014, 06:51 PM
After being tucked away since Oct. I finally get weather good enuff to get it out of storage. Place does not have electricity in the winter so a tender is not an option. Went through the previous winter fine. Also had a new battery put in last summer. So I go to start it after a small but probably not long enuff charging. Turn alarm off, turn key, fuel pump engages, try to crank not, enuff to crank. Decide to get battery to full, overnite slow charge. Now will crank but won't start. Fuel pump seems to be in anti theft mode, will not engage. Pulled wheel and got to the battery, disconnected Pos terminal and touched it to ground (not neg on battery but frame) still same thing. Any thoughts? I still say it is in some anti theft mode that hasn't cleared.

Do you have the Gen 1 OE Lock/Unlock key fob? OE alarm only? (ie NO aftermarket security system?)

It is DEFINITLEY in ARMED mode, fuel cutoff, and it 'thinks' it is being stolen.

[I am a bit confused how you were able to charge it short teram and then overnight, but NOT have a tender on it for the winter.....]

If you call Uncle Indy-Steve he has made this his SSSSSpecialty!

herbbone
04-05-2014, 07:21 PM
I have the OE key and foband does not have an aftermarket antitheft system. Have tried arming and disarming. When I hit unlock alarm seems to shut off but fuel does not turn on. Where my car is stored the power is shut off in the winter. Hopefully I can get it running tomorrow.