PDA

View Full Version : Help me find info on my new VOI 9 Viper rare Arrow Car

mcjaxon
12-18-2021, 02:13 PM
Hi Everyone!

I am a brand new Viper owner and am glad I found this place! I won't profess to be a Viper expert, but I will say that I have been in love with the 2006 VOI.9 Viper since day one. When I found out (years later) that a few were built with the Mopar Performance Option (MPO) (through Arrow/Prefix) I knew I HAD to have one of those cars someday. Well, that someday was about a month ago. As many of you know, a few (9 reportedly) were built for Dodge (via Arrow/Prefix) using an interesting process. After talking with the selling dealer (John Gastman at Roanoke Dodge) about my car (#10, VIN ending in 635) he immediately remembered the car and sent me the MSO. When I asked him if he could send documentation explicitly tying the car's VIN or VOI9 plaque number to my car he said he could not. That was because the ordering process was unusual and convoluted. Apparently, to get the Mopar Performance Option the buyer (not the dealership nor Dodge) had to buy a VOI.9 (in this case Car #10 from J. Gastman/Roanoke) then fill out the attached form and send payment to Dodge (at "Viper Headquarters"). From there, the checks would be mailed to Arrow/Prefix. Once THAT insanity was done, the motors were sent from the factory where Vipers were built to Arrow/Prefix where they would do their magic. Then, the prepped/dynoed/tested motors were sent back to the MOPAR factory where the now fully-built "MPO/Arrow VOI9" Vipers were sent to the selling dealership (in my case, Roanoke in Il.).

Given the process described above, the original owner (and perhaps Arrow) should have "paperwork" on this process. Since I did not buy my car from the original owner, and he did not pass on documentation to the dealer I bought the car from, I am not in possession of the attached form (filled out with owner/car details). Yet! That's what I am working on and what I hope you all can help me discover! I have zero insider connections with Prefix or Arrow and if you know of someone who can help me I would be forever grateful. So far, I have talked to John G. and Bill Pemberton. While both confirmed the process and in the case of John G. confirmed that #10 is definitely one of the Arrow VOI9 cars, I'm still am on the hunt for paper! :)

I was wondering if perhaps someone on the board might have close connections to the folks that run Prefix and could ask about my car? Someone suggested that I reach out to "Scot" but I don't know who he is. I’ve read in multiple places that 9 cars came with the Mopar Arrow Performance Option. But unlike the 16 winged Prefix VOI.9s, I’ve never seen a Prefix/Arrow posting of the vins/car numbers (See attachment 2). To me, this suggests that documentation has to exist -somewhere- (and not simply with each owner). It stands to reason Prefix (who bought out Arrow some years ago) should have some documentation for these special cars (just like they have with the winged VOI9s, see attached). Something similar for the 9 arrow cars would be awesome. A thought, maybe the person who signed the Prefix document on the 16 Aero Cars would have a similar document for the Arrow cars (Ronald E. Batt). Does anyone know him?

Anyhow, the Viper community is a wealth of information I can only scratch the surface of myself. Any help, new leads, or suggestions would be most welcome!

Again, my car is 10/100 ad the Vin ends in 635. (I am happy to provide the full Vin.)

Thanks for reading this far and I look forward to being a contributing member of this community! :)

McJax

PS With the help of Google I managed to find the name, address (and maybe a couple of phone numbers) for the original owner. I am not sure he still has anything from 2006 but I guess it's worth a shot. Would you cold call him or write (or neither)? I am on the fence about this one.

PSS This is something I figured out today. Somehow on the MPO order sheet, I missed the 800 number associated with "Viper Headquarters" that was listed. As I dialed the number, I realized it was now the SRT hotline. (I know this since it came up as "Demon Concierge" which was the contact name I added back in 2018 when I ordered my crate)! Anyhow, I just left a message asking them to get back to me. Hopefully, they have some circa 2006 info/documentation they might be able to share since the form says all paperwork originally went to "Viper Headquarters". A long shot but technically they should still have those records, no? If someone can help on the Dodge/SRT/Viper Headquarters side of things I also would be very grateful!

mcjaxon
12-18-2021, 02:35 PM
I forgot to add some pics! And a link to the driving video...(before I bought the car)

Oh and if you read the form for what the Mopar Performance Package gives you performance-wise (Cam, ECU tune, headers, and full exhaust among other things) adding a measly 40hp to the base 510hp seems almost silly to suggest. John G said that was a joke and only listed at 550 since Gen 4 was to have 600hp and they (Arrow) werent allowed to promote anything close to 600 even though it most likely added 100-125+hp (similar to aftermarket packages from Hennessey). I plan to dyno the car, which only has 3K miles and is mostly untouched (Save for new tires and a new battery). The car had 100 miles as of November 2019 as it sat on MSO for a long time. Any thoughts on what it should dyno at (as far as estimated crank HP)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blCnjNeOMKc

5018950190501915019250193[ATTACH=CONFIG]

Mikey
12-18-2021, 03:08 PM
https://driveviper.com/forums/members/6428-Scot-Prefix

Select "send email" He was last online 10-30-2021, so you should be able to get ahold of him

mcjaxon
12-18-2021, 03:52 PM
Thank you, Mikey!

Email sent!

thetalonguy
12-18-2021, 10:17 PM
Congrats on the Viper! Certainly one of my favorite color schemes! I'm sure there will be a lot of people around here to add some commentary about your unique purchase.

Might be a little slow in the holiday break, but I'm sure many will comment.

Will catch up with your soon.

mcjaxon
12-19-2021, 01:36 AM
Congrats on the Viper! Certainly one of my favorite color schemes! I'm sure there will be a lot of people around here to add some commentary about your unique purchase.

Might be a little slow in the holiday break, but I'm sure many will comment.

Will catch up with your soon.

Thanks Matt!

Mikey helped by suggesting Scot (who I contacted via email/DM and waiting to hear back from). Brian also reached out. We will talk tomorrow. So I am already very thankful for the initial responses. That said, please keep them coming! This is my first Viper and I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from the many knowledgeable experts on this board! :)

jpmst3
12-19-2021, 10:10 AM
CONGRATS!

I will be of no help whatsoever regarding your desire for data about your car. I am very new to the Viper world myself.

But, I am excited for you and hope you enjoy your new acquisition and get the information you are seeking!

That's a sweet unit!

mcjaxon
12-19-2021, 02:40 PM
CONGRATS!

I will be of no help whatsoever regarding your desire for data about your car. I am very new to the Viper world myself.

But, I am excited for you and hope you enjoy your new acquisition and get the information you are seeking!

That's a sweet unit!

Thanks, jpmst3!

Mikey
12-19-2021, 09:36 PM
Thanks Matt!

Mikey helped by suggesting Scot (who I contacted via email/DM and waiting to hear back from). Brian also reached out. We will talk tomorrow. So I am already very thankful for the initial responses. That said, please keep them coming! This is my first Viper and I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from the many knowledgeable experts on this board! :)

I bought my first viper about 2 weeks ago, I completely bombarded the board with questions. I won't be surprised if someone gives you a call to walk you through everything, if they haven't already. The groups seem very tight knit, reach out to someone near you and they'll put you in contact with all the right people

mcjaxon
12-19-2021, 11:03 PM
Brian Willy(?) and I are playing phone tag but I hope we catch up tomorrow. I wonder how many Viper members are in Colorado/Denver. Is there any way to find out if there is a local chapter or any local events?

Mikey
12-20-2021, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure how active the region forum is, but if you leave your location and info somewhere in the thread. Then usually someone will either respond with their number or DM you.

thetalonguy
01-05-2022, 06:36 PM
Just curious...have you found out any more info on your VOI car? Curious myself

I'm sure responses have been slow with the holidays and such.

mcjaxon
01-05-2022, 08:11 PM
No not yet. I guess my best bet is to write the original owner a "cold" snail mail. I have his name and address. Low chance he even replies. I am disappointed that Arrow and Prefix and even Dodge came up snake eyes. Fully explored those angles and no one saved anything it seems. Bit odd honestly...

ViperJeff
01-06-2022, 12:12 AM
I tried to tell you Dodge/SRT/FCA was pathetic at documenting. I have no doubt that the data is there, it’s just so fragmented in their many systems they neither have the will or the skill to make sense of it. At this point in the game, it’s easier to ignore requests, profess to not have the data than be helpful. There’s no plus side as the Viper Community at large has not been friendly to the manufacturer.

Cody's Car Conundrum
01-21-2022, 03:27 PM
Brian Willy(?) and I are playing phone tag but I hope we catch up tomorrow. I wonder how many Viper members are in Colorado/Denver. Is there any way to find out if there is a local chapter or any local events?

Beautiful car! I just learned about these VOI.9 cars two days ago! It never ceases to amaze me how many cool low-volume (of an already low-volume car haha) Viper special editions there are lying around. Here's the link to the Colorado VOA page: http://www.co-voa.com/ that website, once things thaw out haha, usually has events listed for a good portion of the year. Last I heard (years back) this region is actually one of the most active but I'm not sure how true that is now.

The forum itself is still here on the main VOA forum somewhere in the Regions section.

As far as leads and such, once I get a bit of time I'll see what I can dig up! You've got me pretty curious now and I'm always down for another dive into the snake pit, haha.

Bill Pemberton
01-23-2022, 03:22 PM
The Colorado Region is pretty active and you can always go right to Membership and join ----- we know they will contact you when that goes through. I think they have a 2022 group trip coming up and those have been popular through the years as folks from other Regions have sometimes joined them. Good luck and congrats.

mcjaxon
01-23-2022, 04:57 PM
Thanks Cody and Bill,

Brian and I have hooked up and we will be exploring this mystery in the coming weeks a bit more. Haven't made any cold call/mail reach outs yet to the original owner. I've been preoccupied in the past month or so but I still plan to reach out to the original owner too. Anything you can dig up please let me know, I'd be very interested for sure!