PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox fluid question

Speedman
11-25-2021, 11:08 AM
I thought I was pretty well versed in cars but until I read it on this forum that I should ATF+4 fluid in my manual gearbox. Is there something special about ATF+4 that makes it great for the gearbox?

daveg
11-25-2021, 11:18 AM
I used to run ATF+4 but switched to
https://americanpowertrain.com/shop/fluids/tremec-hp-mtf-transmission-fluid/

Steve M
11-25-2021, 11:30 AM
I thought I was pretty well versed in cars but until I read it on this forum that I should ATF+4 fluid in my manual gearbox. Is there something special about ATF+4 that makes it great for the gearbox?

That was the OEM spec'd fluid for the '08-'10 TR-6060. It is relatively thin, but works quite well under most circumstances. The nice thing about it is that you can source it pretty much anywhere.

For racing, some of us go with a thicker fluid, but that is really application specific. I use BG Synchro Shift II as per John Donato's recommendation - according to him, it has additional extreme pressure additives that helps keep things happy when you are banging gears hard.

Back In Black
11-25-2021, 11:33 AM
Motul Multi-ATF has always worked well for me.

Steve M
11-25-2021, 11:35 AM
Motul Multi-ATF has always worked well for me.

I've also used this in the past...no complaints with that fluid either.

Steve-Indy
11-25-2021, 11:52 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to All !!

Now, a little history:
Only 8 model years left the factory with something other than an "ATF" in the transmission...while 15 model years left the factory with an "ATF" of some sort. The early years came with Dexron II e, then Dexron III which ended with 1998. For 1999-2006, the transmissions were filled with Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W-85 (a GL-4)...which was also used under a TSB ( issued in May of 1998 by my memory) for Neutral Gear Rattle on Viper years 1994-1998 where the customer complained of the NGR. Note that 1992 and 1993 were excluded from this particular fluid's usage...presumably due to potential seal issues. Chrysler allegedly furnished no official explanation to their techs or parts departments about this exclusion. Owner "Ron" tracked down some retired Borg Warner employees who offered the "seal explanation" on the old T-56's used in 1992-1993.

Finally, model years 2008-2010 and 2013-2017 (which used the newer TR6060's) all came filled with MOPAR ATF+4.

Make your own decisions...and be sure to read the fine print. AVOID using a GL-5 lubricant in the T-56 equipped Vipers...for fear of damage to the "yellow metals".

VIPER BAZ UK
11-29-2021, 08:19 AM
Cheers Steve
My 09 ACR had an oil of some sort in it but now has the factory fill.. Guessing was the 75/85 castrol Syntec

Steve-Indy
11-30-2021, 05:58 AM
Hi, Baz...agree that folks have used various fluid products based on everything from utilization of the Viper to availability of product...along with cost, "tradition", and of course successful marketing by the manufacturers.

As someone here noted, I try to stay in the "safe" zone with our street-driven cars by sticking with OEM "factory fills". As you know. heavier use often dictates both more robust fluids and a more aggressive schedule of changes.

Happy Holidays to you, your family, and to ALL of our Viper Friends in the UK !!

VIPER BAZ UK
11-30-2021, 06:26 AM
Hi, Baz...agree that folks have used various fluid products based on everything from utilization of the Viper to availability of product...along with cost, "tradition", and of course successful marketing by the manufacturers.

As someone here noted, I try to stay in the "safe" zone with our street-driven cars by sticking with OEM "factory fills". As you know. heavier use often dictates both more robust fluids and a more aggressive schedule of changes.

Happy Holidays to you, your family, and to ALL of our Viper Friends in the UK !!

Cheers Steve

All makes sense as my ACR was used on track a little when it was home in the USA.. Totally agree for spirited street driving all OE oils..

Hope you and the family had a great Thanksgiving