PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Rear Brake Duct GenV

Hootie
11-04-2021, 04:59 PM
I have some fine scratches in the rear brake duct (black, not CF). I wanted to polish them up but not sure if it's a clear coat over plastic, or something different? Do I want to use normal paint polishing compound or something like Meguiar's PlastX?

Junkman2008
11-05-2021, 04:49 AM
Meguiar's PlastX is NOT a polish. It is NOT for polishing paint or doing anything to paint. It is a product that is used on plastic trims, just as Armor-All is used. If you are trying to remove scratches out of paint then you have to use a polish or a compound. As for whether or not you have clear coat or not, the polisher will let you know in a couple of seconds. If you start polishing and paint appears on the pad, YOU HAVE NO CLEAR COAT.

Hootie
11-05-2021, 07:39 AM
Understood. My question should have been phrased, is that brake duct clear coated or just plastic? They are all black (or cf) so I wasn't sure if that's black paint and clear, clear over raw plastic, or just polished plastic. It looks to be clear so I'm going to go ahead and give it a go with regular polishing compound.

V10Sidepipes
11-05-2021, 08:50 AM
Meguiar's PlastX is NOT a polish. It is NOT for polishing paint or doing anything to paint. It is a product that is used on plastic trims, just as Armor-All is used. If you are trying to remove scratches out of paint then you have to use a polish or a compound. As for whether or not you have clear coat or not, the polisher will let you know in a couple of seconds. If you start polishing and paint appears on the pad, YOU HAVE NO CLEAR COAT.

Um… no.

It most certainly IS a polish and it will most certainly remove scratches and swirls from specific materials.

I don’t have a G5 to know what the ducts are made of but I use that on plenty of clear plastics around my cars when needed. It’s not an “armor-all” type product at all…

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-plastx-clear-plastic-cleaner-polish-g12310-10-oz-liquid

Junkman2008
11-05-2021, 09:01 AM
Well, there is one way that he will find out for sure. He can try and use that stuff on his plastic and if it turns WHITE, he will be buying new ducts because you can't get polish out of trim type materials. Once you put it in there, IT'S THERE FOREVER. I know that I wouldn't try it without knowing EXACTLY what the material is made of that I am using it on. At the same time, I wouldn't use a product like that anyway. It's from their consumer grade line of products.