PDA

View Full Version : New alternator and still dead battery What now

Lancewong32
11-03-2021, 05:50 PM
Just picked up at 02 Viper. After driving it off the trailer and parking it in the garage for a few days, the car did not start. I installed a Deltran battery tender cable Jr. on the positive terminal on in the engine bay and the ground bolt under it. It would not charge flashing a red light, my guess was the battery was old and weak. I was able to jumpstart the car, then the tender worked. I pulled the battery out only to find out it was manufactured in 5/21, so it's still pretty new. (Did I screw up some electrical system during my tender install?)

The tender completed the charge, I could see solid green light. I took the car to get smogged and after turning off the car, it would not start again. No rapid fire sound like it did before. Just turn of the key and silence. I smelled a rubber burning smell from the engine bay. And when the car was jumped, the engine had a hard time maintaining RPMs (like a cold start on a old car, where you have to feather the throttle to keep it alive). I figured it was an alternator problem.

I replaced the alternator last night. Yeah! But the car would not start. And now when I plug it into the tender I'm getting a continuous clicking sound (video below). I removed fuse 13 Ignition Off Draw and the clicking stopped.

A video clip (ignore the sound of the airplane flying overhead, I live near an airport) - https://photos.app.goo.gl/xsAKp4BFUEaJ6A7L9

Today I was able to jump the car to life. Drove it to the mechanic about 15 miles away. But the moment I stopped the car the battery was dead to the point where I could not open the door! The alternator should have given the battery some juice.

Any ideas?

Fatboy 18
11-03-2021, 06:06 PM
Most likely got a dead cell in the Battery! How many cold cranking amps does the battery have? Just cannot stress how important it is to keep these cars on a smart charger every time you return home and park the car. New battery does not mean much these days, you need to check the Battery is fully charged before installing it in the car. Make sure terminals are shiny clean.

Steve-Indy
11-03-2021, 06:07 PM
Have you considered that you may have a defective battery? New does not mean good. For this reason I test them at the point of purchase, then take the battery home and charge it with a true charger, then I retest it before installing it...especially on our Gen I and II Vipers.

The battery tender that you describe is not the way to charge a battery...new or old. It is a maintainer.

I would have the battery tested at a competent shop...voltage, CCA, and load test. If bad replace it. If good, get real charger.

And when you reinstall the battery, do an ignition off draw test ( IOD test).

When the clicking occurred, was your alarm set? If yes, did you try the arm reset switch?

If you wish to discuss these things, feel free to call me at 317 402 9013.

In any event, please report back here with your progress.

dave6666
11-03-2021, 06:43 PM
Get a new battery. Deep discharging causes permanent damage.

You should never smell something burning after jumping the car. If you used a high amp jump box you could have fried a variety of things.

Check your battery temp sensor. The battery will not charge regardless of the condition of the alternator or battery if the sensor is bad.

Replace your belt and tensioner if they have not been replaced in the last 4 years. That is the recommended service life of those parts.