PDA

View Full Version : about cost for different build options

drasch21
10-02-2021, 10:06 PM
Hey guys,

have a 2008 with all the bolt on done (headers/high flows, 5th gen intake, catch can, tune, poly motor mounts + trans mount, DSE heatshield). Next step this winter is 3.55 gearset.

That being said i know eventually im going to want more power and from my research theres realistically two paths.

Twin turbo(havent seen any one selling blowers/procharger or single packages or kits)

or

Cam/heads/stroked

That being said prices seem to range widely from 10k - 40k+ for these. Just curious what other peoples experiences with 4th/5th gens and rough cost that you paid to get there.

1Willy1
10-02-2021, 10:09 PM
I personally would just go for a centrifugal blower , usually the most cost effective

Garron
10-03-2021, 01:23 PM
3:55 in a Gen 3 or 4 is one of the nicest upgrades you can do to your car. Sixth gear becomes useful, off the line you have more pep and the upgrade does not effect the dependability.

The one thing you will need to watch out for is the stub shafts can get stuck as the differential ages in a Gen 4. There are internal snap rings that harden with age on the stub shafts. The differential may become damaged when removing these.

drasch21
10-03-2021, 03:58 PM
I personally would just go for a centrifugal blower , usually the most cost effective

i havent seen anyone offering that for a g4? got any more info?

Aevus
10-03-2021, 04:52 PM
Hey guys,

have a 2008 with all the bolt on done (headers/high flows, 5th gen intake, catch can, tune, poly motor mounts + trans mount, DSE heatshield). Next step this winter is 3.55 gearset.

That being said i know eventually im going to want more power and from my research theres realistically two paths.

Twin turbo(havent seen any one selling blowers/procharger or single packages or kits)

or

Cam/heads/stroked

That being said prices seem to range widely from 10k - 40k+ for these. Just curious what other peoples experiences with 4th/5th gens and rough cost that you paid to get there.

I took the N/A road for my gen 3: cam, heads, lightweight valvetrain + forged internals. I expect somewhere around 750bhp @ 6,800rpm but for about the same money you might get 900bhp+ with a gen4 and turbos or SC.

I personnaly prefer the instant throttle response and sound of N/A

Aevus
10-03-2021, 04:56 PM
3:55 in a Gen 3 or 4 is one of the nicest upgrades you can do to your car. Sixth gear becomes useful, off the line you have more pep and the upgrade does not effect the dependability.

The one thing you will need to watch out for is the stub shafts can get stuck as the differential ages in a Gen 4. There are internal snap rings that harden with age on the stub shafts. The differential may become damaged when removing these.

I upgraded to 3.73 from the stock 3.07 (with 355 rear tires) and I'm still not using the 6th gear. When I'll switch to my race engine I'll get the 4.10 gears for sure. That being said if you have traction issues (no Wavetrac diff, standard street tires) you better stick with 3.55 and even less if you have brutal FI power

Aevus
10-03-2021, 05:04 PM
Next step this winter is 3.55 gearset.

Don't forget chassis/suspension/alignement... There is some ''must-haves'' especially with high power: TKO's bump-steer correction kit, upgraded diff (Wavetrac, Quaife, etc..), ACR's solid sway bars, coilovers with stiffer springs, alignement with high caster + rear toe-in, etc... Day and night when you're WOT... Lots of traction and it stays straight.

Steve M
10-03-2021, 05:43 PM
The stock PCM is going to be a limitation for pretty much everything you are looking at doing, especially the forced induction options. I would NEVER run the stock PCM with either turbos or a Procharger. Yes, there are some that have made it work, but you end up essentially having to do a hack job of a tune to get it to run right.

For the Procharger, you can at least reference this build (Gen 5): https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/26507-Vipertoad-s-2013-Launch-Edition-GTS-Build?p=420070&viewfull=1#post420070

To do a supercharger right, you really need to do a stand alone, and at that point, you are in twin turbo territory money-wise. Turbos would give you way more room to grow in the future.

Also, either forced induction option is going to at least require new pistons, so you have to factor that in. Gen 5s already have forged pistons, which is why it is a better starting platform for big HP builds involving forced induction.

If you are doing a 9L stroker, they (Arrow) can at least make the stock PCM architecture work, but it is still serious money ($30k+).

To me, a realistic budget is $30k-$60k all said and done. Anything less in my opinion would likely end up with some sort of compromises, and that's just asking for trouble.

But that's just me, and I sit in the cheap seats.

drasch21
10-06-2021, 01:20 PM
The stock PCM is going to be a limitation for pretty much everything you are looking at doing, especially the forced induction options. I would NEVER run the stock PCM with either turbos or a Procharger. Yes, there are some that have made it work, but you end up essentially having to do a hack job of a tune to get it to run right.

For the Procharger, you can at least reference this build (Gen 5): https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/26507-Vipertoad-s-2013-Launch-Edition-GTS-Build?p=420070&viewfull=1#post420070

To do a supercharger right, you really need to do a stand alone, and at that point, you are in twin turbo territory money-wise. Turbos would give you way more room to grow in the future.

Also, either forced induction option is going to at least require new pistons, so you have to factor that in. Gen 5s already have forged pistons, which is why it is a better starting platform for big HP builds involving forced induction.

If you are doing a 9L stroker, they (Arrow) can at least make the stock PCM architecture work, but it is still serious money ($30k+).

To me, a realistic budget is $30k-$60k all said and done. Anything less in my opinion would likely end up with some sort of compromises, and that's just asking for trouble.

But that's just me, and I sit in the cheap seats.

contacted prospeed ~ they had no idea the difference between the 5th gen/4th gen for mounting of the components. really frustrating sometimes for the lack of support for 4th gens.

Mamba003
10-06-2021, 07:57 PM
Talk to Dan Lesser at Viper Specialty.

drasch21
10-08-2021, 11:24 PM
Talk to Dan Lesser at Viper Specialty.

checked out the webpage, nothing works on it. Might give him a call though...

Viper Specialty
10-10-2021, 09:23 AM
checked out the webpage, nothing works on it. Might give him a call though...

Nothing works on it...? Its outdated sure, but its all functional short of the online store having ordering disabled, and enabled for product information only.

At this time though, no packages are currently available, unable to build them.

drasch21
10-18-2021, 11:57 PM
Nothing works on it...? Its outdated sure, but its all functional short of the online store having ordering disabled, and enabled for product information only.

At this time though, no packages are currently available, unable to build them.

when you go to look at the package options for engine builds they load to empty pages.

Viper Specialty
10-19-2021, 09:09 AM
when you go to look at the package options for engine builds they load to empty pages.

Some of the Gen-4 packages do, as I never added them to the site. literally everything else works.

Overall it doesnt matter much anyway, as I am not taking on any new builds right now. Even if I did take one on, it would take 27 years to get all of the parts to build it lol

At the moment, my focus is elsewhere. Still handling remanufacturing and parts supply, tuning, electronics, etc... but engine work and builds are back-burnered for the foreseeable future.