PDA

View Full Version : INOP Center Stack Switches

EZ 2B Green
09-14-2021, 05:59 PM
Out of the blue all of the manual controls on my 2017 Center Stack stopped working. The touch screen and steering wheel controls were fine. I checked the forums and did the usual online searches and found nothing. Electrical troubleshooting is one of my skill sets so I dug in.

I studied the Gen V wiring manual and found the Center Stack is powered through Fuse 23 (15A) which also powers A/C-Heater Module and the IP Cluster. Fuse 23 is in the under hood Power Distribution Center. I checked it and it was blown. I replaced it with a new fuse and heard the tell tale snap of a fuse blowing from a dead short. Now the fun began.

Based on the wiring diagram there were only 4 possibilities: A short in the wiring harness or a short in one of the three modules powered by Fuse 23. I quickly determined that the short was inside the cabin vs. in the engine compartment. Using a home made DC continuity buzzer to listen to the short, I started disassembling the dash to access the connectors for each of the modules. This led me to IP Cluster which indeed had an internal short circuit (connector pin 1 "Battery" to pin 9 "Ground"). Strangely, the IP cluster was still functional enough that I did not notice that it had failed. It gets power from another source (with key on) as well as Fuse 23.

The part number for the IP Cluster I removed was 05035444AC and had a manufacturing date in late 2016. The replacement IP Cluster was a new revision (05035444AD) and was manufactured in 2018. Once the new IP was installed all was well. I was very pleased that the new part arrived in 2 business days.

I hope this was a rare failure and that it is not a flaw in the design of the "AC" revision of the IP Cluster. If not, hopefully this post will save Gen V owners some troubleshooting time.

Steve M
09-14-2021, 07:17 PM
Impressive...well done, and thanks for sharing the details!

Whopperman
09-14-2021, 10:29 PM
That's a ton of work, I haven't heard of this problem before, at least you were able to fix it