PDA

View Full Version : Insulated Air Box - Results

Jack B
04-01-2014, 11:06 PM
When I finished insulating the intake air box and adding the hot air deflector plate, the combination showed some positive results (lowering IAT) at idle, however, I warned that the true results would not be known till I could get the car on the road in spring time. The Northern Ohio weather has not been kind, however, today was a 75 degree day. I took the car in today to get a clear bra installed and the windows tinted, therefore, the car was on the highway for about 45 minutes. The ambient air temps on the highway were 77-78 degrees F. The IAT ranged between 5-10 degrees F hotter than the actual ambient air temp when the car was on the highway. The car previously would range between 20 and 30 degrees F. I am going to get a bit more scientific in the future and take readings over different speeds and temps.

At this point, it is very apparent that the insulation and deflector plate has resulted in cooler IAT's, which means more hp when at speed. I was also able to log a few WOT runs. This info may be premature, however , the car ran a flat 12.5 A/F. These logs were taken on a different day when the road temps were only 50 degrees F and the logs were only in second gear, the road temperature made it a little difficult to keep the car planted.

Another interesting item was how the PCM controls throttle actuation, even though the pedal (Applied Pedal Position) went to the floor all at once, the actual throttle body position (Relative Throttle Position) was a controlled ramp that did not hit full open until 6000 rpm. These logs were with ESC full on, the results may vary with ESC off.

Probably the biggest benefit of the logging system is that if the PCM limits power we will know why, the other part of the equation is that currently we may not be able to do anything about it. I have a feeling that SCT or HP Tuners wll have a tool available sooner than later.

Bruce
04-02-2014, 01:38 AM
Can you post a few pictures please?

mnc2886
04-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Awesome work Jack. I hope SRT is reading this.

Jack B
04-02-2014, 08:45 AM
This was well documented in a post from 4thQ of 13.

Can you post a few pictures please?

Nine Ball
04-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Damn nannies not giving us full throttle when we command it. I miss the cable operated throttle body. My '06 has quite the throttle response compared to any Gen 4-5.

ViperSmith
04-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Nice. This winter has been brutal to say the least.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn nannies not giving us full throttle when we command it. I miss the cable operated throttle body. My '06 has quite the throttle response compared to any Gen 4-5.

I wonder if they are "nannies" or more EPA control issues

Bleh

Simms
04-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Thanks Jack. Good info.

mjorgensen
04-02-2014, 10:16 AM

Part of the reasoning is air speed at any given rpm or load requested. The twin throttle bodies for the Gen5 are already over sized so fully opening the blades would slow the air flow to much and not tumble the air for more even distribution.

It is also good to note that the A/F readings Jack is getting are with the 02 sensors in the collector of Belanger headers and HF cats, not at the tail pipe like a dyno would be so they are probably similar to a 12.8 at the pipe.

Jack B
04-02-2014, 03:01 PM
I may not have phrased my last post correctly. Let me try again:

1. The diff between pedal and actual is what I expected. I have a 2007 Solstice GXP that does the same thing, the throttle ramps in and I did see full throttle. A lot of questions will be answered when I dyno or get to the track.

2. My G5 has no noticeable lag at this point and I am not sure I sensed one last year. I do no know whether it was the headers, break-in or the gears, but, this year the car has a different feel and it seems very similar to my G2 which is 10.5 car in the right air.

kdaviper
04-03-2014, 02:29 PM
so when are you going to do the test with ESC full off?

PaulB
04-12-2014, 06:10 AM
Bump...

Jack B
04-12-2014, 12:59 PM
I did a couple of more pulls and found virtually identical results. I posted the print out of the log in another thread. This time I logged pedal and throttle. Pedal is full down at 91 % and throttle is full open at 86%. For a reference, The G2 throttle is WOT at 82%, in other words, at WOT the voltage output from the TPS is 4.1 volts on the G2. All these numbers are relative, because at the full down/open position they do reach the full 5 volts.

I do not expect to find much difference with ESC off other than the ramp between pedal and throttle will close. The only other thing that might change is the timing advance in mid-range, they seem to pull a lot of timing and I do not know whether that will change by turning off ESC. There is a bunch of mid-range hp available if we can add a few degrees of timing. What is far different from the G2 is the excellent a/f at WOT that the G5 displays, all G2 cars went hog rich as they approached 5500, that is why it was so easy to add an extra 20 hp with the VEC or SCT.

Bump...

Revolution
04-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Great info once again Jack!