PDA

View Full Version : 458 owners

Policy Limits
04-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Are you satisfied? If you had to do it all over again, would you still buy the car?

I looked at a 2011 Rosso Corsa with black coupe today. Also watching a yellow black top coupe same year same mileage at a different dealer. Was quoted $10k for two year extended warranty. Sound right?

I didn't drive it yet as it was on the showroom floor and several vehicles need to be moved first. Does the dual clutch ruin the fun? Does it need to live on a battery tender (my Maserati does, learned the hard way). My driveway is steep, does the front end scrape easily? I had a front lift system on the Lambo so I was safe and the Viper makes it with 5" clearance.

Any thoughts from owners are appreciated. I'd post on Ferrari Life but would doubt the objectivity of the responses.

Uncle Paul
04-01-2014, 09:22 PM
The Ferrari dual clutch is fantastic. You do not loose torque when it shifts. The power delivery is seamless.

While not as engaging as a stick, it is really amazing to play with.

Where I did not like it was around town. Felt like driving an economy car with a bad transmission, but out on the highway or track...smooth.

Snakecharmer
04-03-2014, 10:04 PM
I had a 458 coupe and a Spider. If you get one go for the spider as you lose nothing to the coupe and gain the convertible experience whenever you want it. Dual clutch is almost too perfect. It is a great car no doubt but the bubble has burst on the coupes so you need to buy a 12 or newer (7 year maintence free) for around 50 K off sticker. Wouldn't buy a 10 or 11. PM me if you have more questions.

Drummerviper
04-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Had mine two years. Great car

Fatboy 18
04-04-2014, 02:13 AM
I sat in one and did not want to get out :D The seats are fantastic and I loved the dash layout.

I have a motoring friend (who takes part in the Gumball events) who had a 458 AND an MP412C, he told me that the McLaren was the better car 'on track'.

Sadly he had a few gremlins with the 458 having to have the entire engine wiring harness replaced (and this was a brand new car) Sadly it was off the road for a while, bottom line was he got fed up with it so went and bought a Lamborghini Aventador instead!!!

Different world, but if you can then why not :D

Policy Limits
04-04-2014, 06:43 AM
Yeah I had a Lamborghini for 3.5 years & loved it; backed by Audi so very reliable and low maintenance. I guess u need to get lucky with the 458 so I wouldn't get one out of warranty. I was quoted around 10k for two year CPO.

I agree about the interior and dash lay out looking smooth. One flaw I saw was the paint. Orange peel effect going on a bit; bothered me. I know they are changing the model in one year so maybe there will be even better deals coming up. It's definitely the case with the California. Oddly me & Ty Law were the only ones shopping for F cars that day. They tried pushing the California on him and his response was less than cordial. Very funny. He said what I was thinking: too feminine.

ViperSmith
04-04-2014, 10:05 AM
People I know that have them love them. Friend bought a 12C and stopped driving his 458 all together, so who knows.

The 458 just looks hot though, love it.

Policy Limits
04-04-2014, 10:08 AM
650s already makes the 12C look dated IMO. 458 looks & sounds better. Then again, the orange peel is concerning to me on the F car.

ViperSmith
04-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Ha, go read f-chat over standard ferrari paint, it is terrible. Orange peel galore (special paints are farmed out to a "Prefix" where it is done right, in house ferrari paint is subpar)

ViperGTS
04-04-2014, 12:36 PM
F458's are great cars. No doubt. Lots of fun.4181The owner of the 458 is a friend and has many 'toys'. We do some spirited driving together - the 458 cant keep up with the almost stock Gen-4 tough.

Snakecharmer
04-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Ferrari paint is nothing special. The rest of the car is. I tried the Mclaren but passed. Glad I did as they drop like rocks. Especially with the new versions out now.

swexlin
04-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Not an owner of either, but we have several 458 and McLarens show up at our weekly C&C. (The location is very close to the local McLaren and Ferrari dealers here in Chester County PA). Both fantastic cars, and I have been a on a drive with them (in my Gen 3) and no doubt, both are incredible performers. Although, I cracked my head getting out of the McLaren!

rw99
04-04-2014, 03:09 PM
At the risk of further off-topic spin, is a 458 even in the realm of possibility for somebody 6'4"? I've never had the opportunity to do anything other than drool from a distance when I see one...

Thx,

Drummerviper
04-04-2014, 05:29 PM
I am a little over 6'4" and my 458 is relatively comfortable-- no Town Car. My 12C is really tight. My sons are 6'7" and I thought I was going to have to get the jaws of life to get them out of the 12. They barely fit in the 458.

rw99
04-07-2014, 01:46 PM
I am a little over 6'4" and my 458 is relatively comfortable-- no Town Car. My 12C is really tight. My sons are 6'7" and I thought I was going to have to get the jaws of life to get them out of the 12. They barely fit in the 458.

Sooooo... you're saying there's a chance! :D

Thanks for the info