PDA

View Full Version : Video you may want to watch to prevent theft.

Late Apex
04-01-2014, 10:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/embed/xvZF-yP_ceU?feature=player_detailpage

MtnBiker
04-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks for sharing!

Viper Girl
04-01-2014, 11:26 AM
I knew about the phone and turning off location services... After seeing this post I decided to check my settings again.. I have an iPhone 4s and a 5...

Settings > Privacy >Location Services > system services > frequent locations

The feature is supposed to help provide useful Location-related info...

It was surprising to me that my phone is recording where I have been, and what time I was there & how many times I was there. So just like storing your home address in your vehicle navagation isn't good... Same with the phone, if you lose your phone... Someone with an idea of iOS services could find where you live just by flipping thru your settings. I keep my phone passcode locked, which is a pain, but I set my phone down all the time... so... I deal...

Late Apex
04-01-2014, 12:21 PM
I knew about the phone and turning off location services... After seeing this post I decided to check my settings again.. I have an iPhone 4s and a 5...

Settings > Privacy >Location Services > system services > frequent locations

The feature is supposed to help provide useful Location-related info...

It was surprising to me that my phone is recording where I have been, and what time I was there & how many times I was there. So just like storing your home address in your vehicle navagation isn't good... Same with the phone, if you lose your phone... Someone with an idea of iOS services could find where you live just by flipping thru your settings. I keep my phone passcode locked, which is a pain, but I set my phone down all the time... so... I deal... This was very helpful and I reconfigured my Iphone with this info. Thanks.

City
04-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Wish he didn't show how to obtain the free software to obtain the "hidden" info, but I guess most every crook already has it.

Thanks for posting!

OK now I'm intrigued and want to test a batch of family pics. Can anyone show me where to find the EXIR plug-in that's referred to in the video?

The_Greg
04-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Wish he didn't show how to obtain the free software to obtain the "hidden" info, but I guess most every crook already has it.

Thanks for posting!

OK now I'm intrigued and want to test a batch of family pics. Can anyone show me where to find the EXIR plug-in that's referred to in the video?

Every crook and every photographer. EXIF viewers come in many shapes and sizes, from a program you can install on your web browser so that you can right click any image and get a range of details, or online resources where you put the photo location into a bar and click 'view exif data'.

Photographers use it to know what settings others might have used for a picture. They also sometimes scrub the EXIF data from the camera before uploading. I am unfamiliar with software to do that because I've never cared, but it exists.

MoreBeer
04-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Watched most of the video to look for an April Fool's easter egg. Left disappointed.

Yes, EXIF data exists and is real, and easy to find. As is image reverse-searching (try Tineye.com or right click on a image in Chrome Browser and select "Search Google for this image"... Truly shocking)

Many popular image sharing sites (Facebook, IMGUR) do strip out the EXIF data. Also, the location storing feature on Android is opt-in, they do not do it for you. However, in most cases, we all click "yeah yeah yeah, I accept whatever you want to do to me. Now let me install Candy Crush!" without reading or understanding fully. Caveat Emptor!

Chorps
04-02-2014, 07:13 PM
EXIF data is metadata. Just like any other computer file or protocol, the headers on a photo can identify a lot about you.

EXIF reading is commonplace in photography. Location data can be gleaned from gps, cell tower or wifi information embedded within photos or even forum information.

More on why metadata leakage:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/03/surprise-surprise-my-online-metadata-actually-reveals-where-ive-been/

Bugman Jeff
04-03-2014, 10:36 AM
I actually already use the program he used, Irfanview. It's my primary program for cropping and resizing any pics that I post online, I didn't know it could read EXIF data too. Is there an easy way to remove the EXIF data from a pic?

Vipes
04-03-2014, 05:08 PM
WOW, thanks!!!

ViperSmith
04-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Which is why when we travel we post NOTHING about where we are. We were in FL for March and no one knew until we got back on Facebook "omg you were in FL??" was the common response.

Bugman Jeff
04-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Meanwhile, we have a 6 page thread displaying license plates...

Fatboy 18
04-04-2014, 04:41 PM
That's scary stuff!

Thanks for posting.

pony23
04-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Thanks for posting that. We use geotagging in photos for work all the time.