PDA

View Full Version : Viper 98 not starting

haroon.haider
07-27-2021, 04:51 AM
Hi I just buy one Viper 98 GTS, which was parked since couple of years.
Now after replacing the fluids and battery I tried to start it up but crank not engaging.
There is issue with clutch as it’s very soft and I tried to release air from it but still same.
So is there is way to Start the car without pressing the clutch.
What other fuse or relays should be checked to diagnose the exact issue.
Thanks for your support,

Fatboy 18
07-27-2021, 05:46 AM
So the Engine is not turning at all? When you turn the iginition on can you hear the fuel pump switch on at the back of the car?

Do you hear any kind of noise from the starter motor?

Is there any kind of Aftermarket Alarm system fitted to the car?

Check that you have power to the starter motor, there is a Jump start terminal by the main fuse box with a red plastic cover on it, check that you have power there. in front of the red Jump start terminal there is another square box with 3 relays in it, Remove the cover and turn it upside down, it will show position of the relays, Hi speed Fan Low speed fan and Starter Relay. All 3 relays are the same, so swap the starter relay for another and see if the car cranks.

haroon.haider
07-27-2021, 05:59 AM
There is no noise of fuel pump even starter is not engaging no sound from it, there isn’t any after market alarm in it.

I’ll swap the starter relay with high speed fan and let you known

But what to do with the fuel pump, where to check it’s fuse as there’s no sound form it.
Thanks for your kind support

Fatboy 18
07-27-2021, 11:17 AM
Fuel pump relay is in the trunk next to Power Amp there is a rectangular cover covering relays, open trunk glass and check LHS.
Do you have lights? or power in the message centre? Are the battery terminals clean? It sounds like a Battery lead issue? Did you clean the battery terminals? Check Battery earth? The battery should be a side terminal battery, is the positive and negative making a good connection to the battery? What battery are you using? How many cold cranking Amps?

Sorry not rectangular cover, for relays in trunk, I was thinking of Gen 1 but relays are there next to power amp

Bob Woodhouse
07-31-2021, 02:19 PM
It sounds like you have a switch that is not closing to allow the start switch to engage the start solenoid. Meaning I think your clutch inter-lock switch is not closing. Something may have changed on your clutch. You mentioned you changed fluids and having trouble with the bleed, hmm suggest you re-bleed as well. Check your clutch pedal, you should find a switch on the top of the pedal mechanism, behind the knee bolster. Maybe you can jumper (connecting the wires) it and see if the starter will engage. If not you can put a lead wire direct to the solenoid to verify this is where your problem lies.