PDA

View Full Version : New owner from across the pond

Darren C
07-25-2021, 07:30 AM
Just want to say Hi to everyone from a fellow Gearhead in the UK

I lived in the US as a teenager before returning to the UK & have always had a passion for American metal, having lived my formative teenage first years driving in the US.

I've just realized my dream & purchased a 94 SRT-10 in Red/Gray, original 3 spoke wheels, from California & shipped it to UK (always wanted one!)

It's a 17,000 mile car and in amazing original condition. The guy I bought it from was in Hermosa Beach CA, he bought it to flip from the original owners estate who'd passed. It came with all the original dealership paperwork & instructions, & service records but nothing really personal about the original owner (would of been great to have got a photo etc)
Everything as far as I can see is in great shape with two Tonneau covers, the original roof & windows (NEVER USED in the bags) and an aftermarket painted hardtop.
The only change is a pioneer CD/radio & amp that I want to change back to the stock factory unit at some point.

We have a test here in UK called the MOT (which is like a tough DMV inspection) which it passed without a hitch and now with this certificate I've applied for a UK title so I can use the car on the road.
It's a few weeks to process the application so I decided to join this great community & say hi, while I wait for the countdown to get the title & drive it.

Kindest Regards
Darren

Bill W
07-25-2021, 07:33 AM
Darren, congratulations on your Viper purchase. Sounds like a very nice car. You will love it. We have several members from the UK here and I'm sure you'll hear from them soon.

Fatboy 18
07-25-2021, 12:48 PM
Hello Darren, welcome to the world of Vipers, congratulations on getting the car through inspection. I know the DVLA is a little backlogged at the moment so lets hope you get things sorted soon. I am the current President of the UK/Europe region, we have just had a club display at the London Classic Car Show and our next Club gathering is at Beaulieu National Motor museum in the New Forrest. 7th and 8th August. https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/beaulieu-supercar-weekend/ If you would like to join us you will need to register your car directly with Beaulieu. If your car is not road registered by then, then you could always come down in something else and say Hi.
Where in the UK are you located? We have club members scattered around the UK. Barry Adams (club Vice Prez) Services some members cars and the UK region have some original service tools and pullers etc Barry is located in Luton Bed's
If you would like to join the VOA then hit the Join button here https://driveviper.com/join/ Looking forward to seeing a few pics48708

Darren C
07-25-2021, 01:50 PM
Many thanks Guy's

Yes I was at the London Classic Car Show and spoke with a chap on the stand at great length about buying a car!
I joined the VOA before posting the intro :-)
I'm located near Chichester right on the South Coast, but work near Luton where the car is currently in the garage being stored awaiting the V5 UK title, would love to attend the Beaulieu show maybe in person, but unfortunately not with the car as there's currently a 3 month (14 week) wait on processing V5 title applications & I only submitted it this week straight after the MOT test

Darren C
07-25-2021, 01:55 PM

Fatboy 18
07-25-2021, 05:56 PM
Hi Darren, haha, you probably were talking to me! Car looks great, hopefully see you at Beaulieu, I'm on the Demo straight as is another Viper, we will also have a few more vipers on the stand too.
Cheers Mark.

StrokerAce
07-25-2021, 09:15 PM
I'm a Gen V owner an absolutely love my car but a Gen I/II is the most beautiful and never to be duplicated. Good find and good luck with it. I'm sure it will be forever a great conversation piece. :)

SRT_BluByU
07-26-2021, 06:37 AM
looks to be in great shape.. have fun with it and congratulations!

sonicbloo
07-26-2021, 12:58 PM
Congrats on the purchase Darren, but a shame about the delay in getting it registered. I'm always curious whether it is more economical than buying an RT/10 already in the UK? I've done it twice with Mustangs in 1998 and 2005, but the exchange rate was roughly $2 : £1 at the time

Two more Vipers that are travelling from North Yorkshire to Beaulieu, my Gen 3 and a gen 2

https://i.imgur.com/urvJLuk.jpg

Fatboy 18
07-26-2021, 03:53 PM
Congratulations Darren, Welcome to the VOA UK Region, I got conformation of your membership today :)

Darren C
10-02-2021, 06:43 AM
Hi Mark/Admin,

Just had an email to renew my membership which I've paid straight away
I do have a question please...I joined in July & haven't had a single thing from the club? No mail, no membership card, no Magazines or correspondence? Are these things only restricted to US members?
Thanks

Fatboy 18
10-02-2021, 10:47 AM
Hi Mark/Admin,

I do have a question please...I joined in July & haven't had a single thing from the club? No mail, no membership card, no Magazines or correspondence? Are these things only restricted to US members?
Thanks

Hello Darren, I have just sent an email out to all current UK members!
Things are not good here at the moment sorry to say, and we will be having an emergency AGM to discuss weather the UK stays with the VOA!

Viperenvy
10-02-2021, 11:36 AM
Hi Mark/Admin,

Thanks

Darren-

Welcome!

Normally, the new members for July are grouped together starting August to order membership cards and then mail out month end. With the printers workload and vacations, the was about a month lost. Last I heard in mid September, packets were going into the mail last week of September.

Feel free to email me at brian.willey@driveviper.com if you need any additional help.

Darren C
10-02-2021, 12:07 PM
Thanks Brian & Mark,

I am a little concerned what is going on as I paid a Full years membership in July & 3 months later I have been asked to pay a second years membership, which I have duly done as requested & I haven't received anything from the club, not even a membership card?
Does Annual membership run October to October? Seems an odd set up?

Viperenvy
10-02-2021, 03:47 PM
Thanks Brian & Mark,

I am a little concerned what is going on as I paid a Full years membership in July & 3 months later I have been asked to pay a second years membership, which I have duly done as requested & I haven't received anything from the club, not even a membership card?
Does Annual membership run October to October? Seems an odd set up?

Should have been prorated by quarter.

I will check double check

VIPER BAZ UK
10-04-2021, 11:11 AM
Hi and welcome to the viper ownership addiction... Your RT/10 is probably within walking distance of me LOL....

Darren C
10-05-2021, 01:38 AM
Thanks Baz,

Not sure where you are in UK, but my car is stored 120 miles from home, you may have a long walk, but it would be good to meet up, I've got a whole collection of interesting cars at both residences!
I'm currently fixing a really poor repair in the middle of the bonnet by the previous 1 and only owner of the car (see Gen 1 section of the forum) but this gives me something to do while I wait for the UK V5 title paperwork to be approved (Did a Mustang earlier this year, it only took 14 weeks for the paperwork & I'm just on week 9 of the Viper wait) Real pain buying a car in summer but not being able to drive it until December due to paperwork!

James
10-05-2021, 03:37 AM
Hi and welcome Darren, from another member from Europe. Congrats on this beauty!!

michaeljhonson
10-14-2021, 12:49 AM
Nice one thank you

Darren C
10-28-2021, 02:35 AM
Should have been prorated by quarter.

I will check double check

Hi Brian,

Its been almost 4 weeks Brian since you said you would check for me. I checked my bank & my second years membership money went out at the beginning of October, but yet I still have nothing from the Club?
No Magazines, not even a Membership card?????????

Fatboy 18
10-28-2021, 05:42 AM
And sorry to say Darren you wont be getting anything much soon. Club is in a mess!

Darren C
11-05-2021, 03:57 AM
Hi Brian,

It's been a whole month now since you said you'd get back to me, are you ok?

I'm just asking after something for my 2 years membership fees.

A simple membership card or a copy of an old magazine would be a start please, I wasn't expecting radio silence?

If I'm not going to get anything from this club, then its only fair I ask for my 2 years money back please.

Viperenvy
11-05-2021, 04:43 PM
Hi Brian,

It's been a whole month now since you said you'd get back to me, are you ok?

I'm just asking after something for my 2 years membership fees.

A simple membership card or a copy of an old magazine would be a start please, I wasn't expecting radio silence?

If I'm not going to get anything from this club, then its only fair I ask for my 2 years money back please.

Darren-

Doing really well!! Having fun with the Viper.

I apologize, I should have followed up with you. I made the wrong assumption that you receive an email from the VOA President. It was sent on 10/03/21 from the Beth Sewell.

I hit "replied all."

Let me know if you do not get it.

Once again, I am apologize I did not follow-up.

Brian

Viperenvy
11-05-2021, 05:00 PM
And sorry to say Darren you wont be getting anything much soon. Club is in a mess!

Mark-

Since its me, the guy that had a zoom meeting with you, share how our region has grown, have had numerous emails back and forth, reached out to you to potentially find a Viper for a journalist, and gave you a little help on TA valuations for a member of yours, I'd appreciate a little deference. You have my email and the assumption could have been that I misses a communication, something went into my "junk" mail, I had COVID, getting divorced, or something. Your experience with me should be that I rarely let something slip thru the cracks.

If I misinterpreted you comments on this thread or the other thread, I apologize. I try to do my best to say what I am going to do and do what I said. I feel bad that I did not follow-up.

Brian

Darren C
11-06-2021, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the email confirmation of my two membership payments Brian
When can I expect something from the club in return please?
I fully understand times are tough for everyone, but I joined in July we're now in November I've willingly paid 2021 & 2022 membership fees but have nothing from the club when I was expecting at least an acknowledgement, a membership card or a magazine?
Your email says that it's going to happen, but when?
I'm a member of many other car clubs and on the committee of car clubs and this would be an unacceptable situation for a new member, especially having paid twice & into 2022 in any club, not to even acknowledge their payment or welcome them into the club.
It's customary in any car club to give a good welcome to new members, send out membership cards, welcome letters, back issues & current issues of magazines, within a couple of weeks. We're in the 5th month of my membership & all that has happened is a request for me to pay another years membership!
Unfortunately the situation doesn't endear this club to me or anyone else.
Its only the kind comments from other owners on here that keep my faith and Mark's post seems to reflect the situation

Darren C
11-09-2021, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the 3rd long email Brian telling me you're going to look into it next week.
Can I help you...

You've sent 3 emails now including one from your wife, they are in excess of 1400 typed characters (not including the time you've spent posting in this thread or the time thinking about what to write me)

Its 5 months now & you're still "looking into" sending me a membership card

All I want is a message that says "Darren, I posted your card & magazine today" that's only 36 characters & takes 30 seconds

Can you see & understand how efficient you could be and how happy I would be?

Loud
11-09-2021, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the 3rd long email Brian telling me you're going to look into it next week.
Can I help you...

You've sent 3 emails now including one from your wife, they are in excess of 1400 typed characters (not including the time you've spent posting in this thread or the time thinking about what to write me)

All I want is a message that says "Darren, I posted your card & magazine today" that's only 36 characters & takes 30 seconds

Sorry this is such a mess. How National cannot look into who joined and whose packets have not been sent to address this blows my mind. AZ has a few members that haven't received anything either.

Fatboy 18
11-09-2021, 11:23 AM
Can I help you...

Hello Darren, Viperenvy (Brian) is like me just a Regional President, he does not have the power to send you anything from the VOA HQ, Sure he can ask questions of the National officers but honestly the Club is in a serious financial mess, all Printing spending is currently Locked down and there is currently nothing going out to anyone! As you know you received an email from me the same day you renewed your membership for 2022. The VOA has been in lockdown all this time! We are supposed to hear or see the result of a full audit to see how National have used members money.
I too have asked questions on behalf of members, but currently we are getting nowhere!
National may not like hearing this but I would be asking for my monies back.
Sincerely.
Mark.

Darren C
11-10-2021, 02:02 AM
Thanks Mark,

I think its time for National Officers to step up & explain to members what's happening and also answer the Regional Presidents questions

Fatboy 18
11-10-2021, 02:19 AM
November 14 there is a presidents meeting, the Audit is suppose to be completed by then hopefully and we will be able to see what has been spent where and with luck will show how the club got into so much debt!

Fatboy 18
11-10-2021, 02:28 AM
This thread is worth a read, so you can an idea of what's going on, I know this does not help your personal situation ie welcome pack, but at least you will see things are going on. https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/29166-VOA-National-Officers-has-assembled-a-team-to-conduct-a-review-of-the-VOA-finances

Darren C
01-03-2022, 05:46 AM
Since I have received nothing from the Club in 2021, Not even membership card or an old magazine for my membership fees! it is with regret that I have cancelled my 2022 membership

I'd would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year, its the people that make the community, not a membership card. So since it costs nothing to be nice to folks I'm not paying for another year and not getting the material things the club promised for my hard earned cash, when we can all still be kind to each other regardless.
I will continue to visit & engage with all you good folks via the forum, but not as a paid member that has been completely let down by the Club Management/Admin

Fatboy 18
01-03-2022, 06:35 AM
Well said Darren, I can't belive I got an email from Maurice lang this morning asking for magazine articles to be sent in!

TrackAire
01-03-2022, 05:01 PM
Since I have received nothing from the Club in 2021, Not even membership card or an old magazine for my membership fees! it is with regret that I have cancelled my 2022 membership

I'd would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year, its the people that make the community, not a membership card. So since it costs nothing to be nice to folks I'm not paying for another year and not getting the material things the club promised for my hard earned cash, when we can all still be kind to each other regardless.
I will continue to visit & engage with all you good folks via the forum, but not as a paid member that has been completely let down by the Club Management/Admin

Hi Darren,

How the club is treating its members (and especially the international members) is bullshit. I just posted on the membership apocalypse thread that they should at the very least offer you a free 2022 membership and ask for your forgiveness and patience while they try to turn the club around. Jesus, an email correspondence is essentially free. Again, honesty and transparency is the best policy. We're all big kids here and we can handle bad news as long as it is delivered in a timely and honest fashion.

Cheers and have a healthy and safe 2022.

VIPER BAZ UK
01-04-2022, 06:08 AM
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL and all the very best for a Vipering 2022

First year since 2001 that i have not rejoined and it does feel strange .. I'm also still waiting on Magazines that have been paid for well up front.

With the removal of hardcopy magazines and a price increase its just not viable for me, But as said its the people and friends that make the club not memberships

Fully understand an increase but not takeaway the main membership item

Baz

Former President and VP UK along with Mark K

jpmst3
01-04-2022, 06:22 PM
Man, this is sad. As a new owner and new forum member, I was considering an official paid membership. I am certainly re-thinking that action with all that continues to be divulged here. I hope they can get this all sorted out and quickly in hopes that they can regain some of the eroded trust and faith in the organization. :(

Perhaps the national level can be dissolved, and more focus be put on the regional groups which would presumably have more accountability.