PDA

View Full Version : Programmer/Tuner? Adjusting pedals?

dodgestang
03-30-2014, 07:08 PM
As I am getting more familiar with my new to me 96 GTS...a few more questions have come to mind.

1. When it comes to adjusting pedals...it looks like there is a shaft under the dash that a crank plugs into...I 'assume' the crank is either supposed to be removable and/or it was removed and it appears not to be around. Or am I missing something?

2. Many modern cars have aftermarket tuners/programmers that you can download a tune through the odbII port and free up a little more HP...not saying I need more....just wondering what is out there? Google searches aren't really helpful. I would also like to be able to electronically turn off the auto skip shift if possible and believe a tuner could do this as well.

ICPREY
03-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Adjustable pedal adjustment is under the steering column and there should be a knob you turn. Didn't mean to confuse.

SCT sells a tuner that will reflash the factory PCM through the OBD II port.

dodgestang
03-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Adjustable pedal adjustment is under the steering column and there should be a knob you turn. Didn't mean to confuse.

I have what looks like a brass shaft that knob would normally mount too...but no knob. I've looked for some photos with google image...but haven't been able to find any.

dodgestang
03-30-2014, 07:32 PM
SCT sells a tuner that will reflash the factory PCM through the OBD II port.

Thanks...the name brand made it easy to locate.
http://www.torqspeedlab.com/store/sct-tuner-dodge-viper.html

Are they the only one? Not much competition in this space? ;)

ICPREY
03-30-2014, 07:39 PM
I have what looks like a brass shaft that knob would normally mount too...but no knob. I've looked for some photos with google image...but haven't been able to find any.

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/147410-knob-thing-crotch-area.html

dodgestang
03-30-2014, 07:41 PM
http://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/147410-knob-thing-crotch-area.html

Thank you...and yup....knob missing.....looking like vice grips to the rescue ;)

ICPREY
03-30-2014, 07:44 PM
Are they the only one? Not much competition in this space? ;)

Yea pretty much for reflash tunes. You can go with a piggyback with something like a VEC, but the SCT is a better product and it'll work great for a basic bolt on car. I would suggest getting it from a Viper tuner/sponser so they can help you adjust the tune if needed after verifying it on a dyno.

XSnake
03-30-2014, 07:46 PM
should be able to order a knob from your local dealer. The newer SCT is very promising. I suggest purchasing it from whomever is going to be tuning it.

The Stig
03-30-2014, 07:53 PM
the knob is the same as a wall dimmer switch.. works great

dodgestang
03-30-2014, 07:55 PM
should be able to order a knob from your local dealer. The newer SCT is very promising. I suggest purchasing it from whomever is going to be tuning it.

This is the learning curve I need to come up with. I am familiar with diesel programmers/downloaders/boxes....plug it in...instant power no dyno work needed. I 'assume' the SCT is basically a manual controller for all engine adjustments and doesn't come with stock '10, 40, 100 HP' and instead needs a tech manually create tunes for it?

- - - Updated - - -

the knob is the same as a wall dimmer switch.. works great

I have a few of those...in fact I have one I KNOW could live without because the damn kids keep turning it up and down ;)

ICPREY
03-30-2014, 08:39 PM
You can buy a programmer with a "Canned" tune on it and load it, but more than likely it'll be a little rich. Taking it to the dyno will allow the tuner (or yourself) to lean it out or add more timing for more power. In order to adjust the tune yourself you'll have to buy the software and not just the handheld tuner. The software for the old SCT program was about $500 or so if I remember correctly.