PDA

View Full Version : First gen head removal tips

Corse
06-27-2021, 10:42 PM
1995 RT/10

Well, some not so great news. Came back from autocross and the car was knocking/clacking.
Pulled the oil pan, very fine glitter in the oil. No chunks though, which is good. Didn't feel any play in the rod bearings and didn't actually spin a rod bearing.
The previous owner, or a previous owner at some point, used a lot of silicon instead of a pan gasket in a manner that allowed for so much silicon into the pan
that it was getting sucked up and basically starving the engine slowly but surely.

However, my next step is going to be to remove the heads. I have a shop manual but wanted to ask for anyone who has done the heads on them before:

* are there any specialty tools that would have made it easier?
* are there any rubik's cube steps to this car on taking the heads off?
* anything you would have done different when you removed them?

Want to get ahead of the gotchas before I dive in this coming weekend.

Horsepower junkie
06-28-2021, 06:38 AM
Did my 94 went great. Not a mechanic just an average joe. Give me a call and I can give you some advice. 513 477 2314 Dan.

usmcfieldmp
06-28-2021, 12:37 PM
I saw your pictures on FB; big oof.

Some people apply gasket maker like it's icing on a cake... and then they don't wait the required time for it to cure properly either. Super thin layer is all that's required with a 24 hour cure.

SHARP_DAL
06-28-2021, 07:30 PM
Pretty straightforward just takes a lot of time. Some tips

You don't need to remove the hood, but it helps.
Coolant hose and pipes are a bitch, apply wd40 or pb plaster to loosen them up
I managed to break 2 of 3 coolant sensors. They are pretty brittle from heat cycles.

Corse
06-29-2021, 11:39 AM
Pretty straightforward just takes a lot of time. Some tips

You don't need to remove the hood, but it helps.
Coolant hose and pipes are a bitch, apply wd40 or pb plaster to loosen them up
I managed to break 2 of 3 coolant sensors. They are pretty brittle from heat cycles.

Already had to loosen them up when I did my coils, so they shouldn't be too bad.

Sounds like the rest is pretty straight forward