PDA

View Full Version : NHRA 5sec street cars

Whiskey
03-29-2021, 05:31 PM
I wonder how long it will be until we see some 4,000hp+ street Viper towing a trailer and running in this type of event. These cars are insanity and awesome rolled into one.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2021/street-car-showdown-gators-5-second-ets-license-plates-and-trailer-hitches

While the term "street car" is used a bit looser than I would (I'd call these race cars). But the fact they get it registered and street legal is pretty crazy.

Jprince
03-29-2021, 05:57 PM
LMAO Show up at the curbside for groceries in that......

Steve M
03-29-2021, 06:05 PM
Street car my ass.

Whiskey
03-29-2021, 06:39 PM
Street car my ass.

It does have all turn signals, tail/headlights, horn, power steering, power windows. It does meet all DOT regulations, registration and insurance. So...kinda a street car but kinda not. It does have to do street drives before each event and must drive to each track under its own power (and does it pulling a trailer!). I might be off a little bit last year running consistently high 5sec 1/4mi pass it still did over 1,000mi on the street. Race car or not...that's impressive! Drag passes made on alcohol and street drives on premium fuel (91-93 depending on location).

TrackAire
03-29-2021, 06:50 PM
I wonder how long it will be until we see some 4,000hp+ street Viper towing a trailer and running in this type of event. These cars are insanity and awesome rolled into one.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2021/street-car-showdown-gators-5-second-ets-license-plates-and-trailer-hitches

While the term "street car" is used a bit looser than I would (I'd call these race cars). But the fact they get it registered and street legal is pretty crazy.

I just clicked on the link and watched the video....30 seconds in and the "street car" is engulfed in flames. The driver was lucky to get out of the cabin. If this happened while on a cruise without a fire suit, etc...holy hell.

TheMadMachinist
03-29-2021, 07:11 PM
That thing will never pass smog out here in California.lol

Whiskey
03-29-2021, 10:16 PM
I just clicked on the link and watched the video....30 seconds in and the "street car" is engulfed in flames. The driver was lucky to get out of the cabin. If this happened while on a cruise without a fire suit, etc...holy hell.

That's with any car. All it takes is a failed o-ring on an injector. My Talon Tsi AWD burnt to the ground for that. It was just Bolton's making 397awhp back in the 90's.

Whiskey
03-29-2021, 10:22 PM
That thing will never pass smog out here in California.lol

Anything is legal in Kali as long as the right government official gets the right amount of cash.

Nth Moto
03-30-2021, 10:20 AM
We built Juggernaut to compete in these types of events, although at our weight/chassis config it'll never be able to go that quick of course. Tom's stuff is awesome, really nice dude too.

Mopar'er no car
03-30-2021, 01:20 PM
We built Juggernaut to compete in these types of events, although at our weight/chassis config it'll never be able to go that quick of course. Tom's stuff is awesome, really nice dude too.

What's the Juggernaut race weight with driver?

If ya don't mind me asking...

Lawineer
03-30-2021, 02:48 PM
Pretty impressive. What transmissions do they run?

Nth Moto
03-30-2021, 03:03 PM
What's the Juggernaut race weight with driver?

If ya don't mind me asking...

3980lbs with driver currently. 7.16 @ 209 best thus far with a pretty boring short track. We'll fix that next time out, though.

Lawineer
03-30-2021, 03:22 PM
3980lbs with driver currently. 7.16 @ 209 best thus far with a pretty boring short track. We'll fix that next time out, though.

I didn't realize you guys work on the S7. Years ago, in my former life, I was a "junior engineer" on the powertrain development team on the S7TT. I still dream of owning it once day. I have a model of it on my desk in my office.

Whiskey
03-31-2021, 12:18 AM

I'd love to see Juggernaut out tearing it up.

I think it would take a billet block/heads and fill tube frame chassis, SRA configuration. Major effort. Wish I had the money I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Nth Moto
03-31-2021, 08:05 AM
I didn't realize you guys work on the S7. Years ago, in my former life, I was a "junior engineer" on the powertrain development team on the S7TT. I still dream of owning it once day. I have a model of it on my desk in my office.

They are really neat cars, although being on the inside I'm sure you saw plenty of "interesting" decision making that made it into them somehow. Lots of potential, lots of great parts selection, fairly poor execution overall unfortunately though. I blame the last part of that on having to slip through legalities of a road car as cost effectively as possible more than likely.

I'd love to see Juggernaut out tearing it up.

I think it would take a billet block/heads and fill tube frame chassis, SRA configuration. Major effort. Wish I had the money I'd do it in a heartbeat.

If we had 1500 lbs less weight to pull around with a tube chassis car there would be absolutely zero reason for a different block or heads. Based on how amazingly good Juggernaut's engine looked internally after 52 2500-3100 HP hits tells us that we're certainly on the right path with keeping it together using a completely unfilled block, full water deck, stock castings... at least until we turn it up more.

Lawineer
03-31-2021, 12:43 PM
They are really neat cars, although being on the inside I'm sure you saw plenty of "interesting" decision making that made it into them somehow. Lots of potential, lots of great parts selection, fairly poor execution overall unfortunately though. I blame the last part of that on having to slip through legalities of a road car as cost effectively as possible more than likely.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts; shoot me a pm. I can probably explain a lot of it. But yes, Steve's decision to be a "true" OEM created a lot of additional impediments and requirements.

Whiskey
03-31-2021, 03:37 PM

If we had 1500 lbs less weight to pull around with a tube chassis car there would be absolutely zero reason for a different block or heads. Based on how amazingly good Juggernaut's engine looked internally after 52 2500-3100 HP hits tells us that we're certainly on the right path with keeping it together using a completely unfilled block, full water deck, stock castings... at least until we turn it up more.

Good to hear! I know I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys have planned. I'm really shocked to hear how much abuse these motors can take.

Viper_199
04-21-2021, 11:00 AM
LMAO Show up at the curbside for groceries in that......

I would pay to see that. I know of vipers and Vetts in that range that are full on streetcars. FST SNAKE on VCA takes his car on the street it make like 1400 HP
The fastest C7 Vette is a full on street car as well.

Jprince
04-21-2021, 07:46 PM
I would pay to see that. I know of vipers and Vetts in that range that are full on streetcars. FST SNAKE on VCA takes his car on the street it make like 1400 HP
The fastest C7 Vette is a full on street car as well.

My car is 1600 RWHP and I assure you that it will NOT run a 5 second 1/4 mile. My car could be driven anywhere anytime and take a road trip if desired, and would run some low 8 second 1/4 mile on 18" radials