PDA

View Full Version : Prep for First Time on the Track

FlashFyre
03-27-2021, 03:50 PM
Planning on doing a few track sessions. Never been on a track with any vehicle so I will driving rather conservatively. Gen II GTS

Plan so far:
- change all fluids
- tires will be less than 4 years old with good tread
- considering the IPSCO oil pan gate kit. Is it absolutely necessary ay my level or can I wait a bit?
- driver training

Any other suggestions?

catwood
03-27-2021, 04:15 PM
Tires are old in my opinion

What Gen Viper, any engine mods?

Check brake pad thickness.

If a gen 2 and you use a 3 point belt get a pad for your left knee (outside of knee) It will get sore from holding yourself up in right turns.

Be relaxed, get an instructor if you can. tell them to make you safer, speed can come later.

FlashFyre
03-27-2021, 04:21 PM
Tires are old in my opinion

What Gen Viper, any engine mods?

Check brake pad thickness.

If a gen 2 and you use a 3 point belt get a pad for your left knee (outside of knee) It will get sore from holding yourself up in right turns.

Be relaxed, get an instructor if you can. tell them to make you safer, speed can come later.

Gen 2 GTS. Fronts will be 4 years old. Rears will be fresh.

Thanks for the input.

sharmut
03-27-2021, 04:51 PM
- Torque your wheels before you go out each session.
- Check engine oil level after each session.
- Bleed your brakes.
- You probably want at least 50% brake pad thickness.
- An instructor for sure.
- In car video cam to study after each session or end of the day.
- I would get new front tires.

RT SERPENT
03-27-2021, 07:29 PM
Oil pan baffle mod is a good idea, but not a necessity for your first time out.
Tires on the other hand are. Running 4 year old (hard) tires on the front and fresh rubber on the rear won't be ideal.
Traction is even more important in a Gen2, considering you have no traction control nannies. I'd put fresh rubber all around.

catwood
03-27-2021, 07:40 PM
ditto on getting new fronts.

plan on the baffle kit if you keep going. It's an easy install if it's like BBDave's old kit. Parts rack I think bought all of Dave's designs when he passed.

Bleed and flush the brakes, that's easy also. My first time out in a gen two the peddle went to the floor at about 120 MPH into a left hander. No damage or off because I was slow but I got lucky.

J TNT
03-27-2021, 07:59 PM
You have a pm flashfyre..........

FrankBarba
03-28-2021, 05:28 AM
What year is your Gen II ? I'd purchase an extra set of wheels. Why take the chance of GEN II wheels coming off.
I've seen it. The are easily damaged, and will crack under stress.

FlashFyre
03-28-2021, 07:23 AM
What year is your Gen II ? I'd purchase an extra set of wheels. Why take the chance of GEN II wheels coming off.
I've seen it. The are easily damaged, and will crack under stress.

1999 with 13000 miles. Ive had my 97 GTS for 12 years so I'm not new to the Gen 2 vipers.

Im not looking to become a track super star. Just do a couple of track events a year and not destroy the car mechanically. Ive heard lots of stories about spun 2/3 bearings so that is the thing I am looking for advice to avoid.

LuvSpeed
03-28-2021, 08:13 AM
I would echo everybody else and get new front tires, flush your brakes, and check your oil. I imagine new rear tires and old front tires will introduce a lot of understeer in your car and make you track day less enjoyable. If you are going to spend a couple hundred dollars and a track day, might as well enjoy it a little more.

gpbtt
03-28-2021, 09:21 AM
Your first time.....listen to your instructor.....don't get caught up in all the Mod Hype.....enjoy yourself and the Moment!

GTS Dean
03-28-2021, 10:27 AM
I would not worry about the older fronts. It is always preferable to have the rears sticky and predictable. If you have a little time and inclination, you might have the front camber set to around -1.4 degrees. Don't worry too much about pressures the first session other than starting at 29 all around. Focus on getting comfortable with the course first. Later, check your hot tire pressures as soon after coming off track as practical. I like to see about 4psi more front than rear. Keep a note pad.

MO_Better
03-28-2021, 11:32 AM
I would not worry about the older fronts. It is always preferable to have the rears sticky and predictable. If you have a little time and inclination, you might have the front camber set to around -1.4 degrees. Don't worry too much about pressures the first session other than starting at 29 all around. Focus on getting comfortable with the course first. Later, check your hot tire pressures as soon after coming off track as practical. I like to see about 4psi more front than rear. Keep a note pad.

+1 to GTS Dean. I've been instructing and racing since the late nineties (yes, I'm old), and I can tell you the most important things you can bring to the track are this:

1) A safe car. As long as the brake fluid is fresh (that IS important), the rotors and pads sufficient, the tires aren't dry rotted, the lug nuts are tight, the suspension is tight (no play in ball joints, wheel bearings), then you should have that covered. Doesn't hurt to have another set of eyes / mechanic look over the car, especially for the first event. If you can be there while they look it over and watch what they look for, then next time maybe you can do it yourself.

2) A good attitude. Be there to learn, listen to your instructor and if possible ride along with as many different instructors as you can (depends on covid restrictions). You'd be amazed what you can learn as a passenger, but you do have to be careful to dial it back when you get back into your car as riding with others can sometimes raise expectations too much.

Please don't worry too much about how your suspension is setup, etc, on your first few events - it will make virtually no difference - the main difference is going to be your LEARNING ATTITUDE - BE A SPONGE.

Beyond that, at some point in order to get better, you have to be able to self analyze, and to that you really need to understand the physics of what you are doing.

So I recommend to my more serious students to at least read the first 3 or so chapters of the Skip Barber / Going faster book - best $40 bucks you'll spend to make yourself faster:

https://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-Mastering-Race-Driving/dp/0837602262/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=skip+barber+going+faster&qid=1617118820&sr=8-1

Mark

Arizona Vipers
03-28-2021, 12:01 PM
Just make sure your brake pads are good, and fresh brake fluid, preferably Castrol SRF or similar. Everything else will be ok. As you get faster the car is going to understeer with the older fronts and new rears, not that big of a deal.

13COBRA
03-29-2021, 07:28 AM
The right pedal is to go faster, the left is to slow down. Don't use your horn.

FlashFyre
03-29-2021, 10:44 AM
Thanks all

TheMadMachinist
03-29-2021, 07:12 PM
Up grade your brake fluid if that hasn't been mentioned.

Lawineer
03-30-2021, 11:36 AM
Just make sure your brake pads are good, and fresh brake fluid, preferably Castrol SRF or similar. Everything else will be ok. As you get faster the car is going to understeer with the older fronts and new rears, not that big of a deal.

This: To expand, propert track pads (not "aggressive street" or "hybrid" pads and fresh fluid RACE fluid- not crap from autozone.

Other than that, you've got way too much car for a first time track day, so take it easy.