PDA

View Full Version : Losing to a Corvette

GTSJoe
03-25-2014, 07:46 PM
What’s it going to take to not get smoked by a C6/C7 Z06 in my 97 GTS? My plan is to add 3.55’s in the future as a stopgap. Never in a million years was I considering adding a S/C, Turbo, doing any top end modifications to the heads or adding nitrous. When I was a teenager in the nineties Vette’s got thrashed by Vipers. However, things have changed and the C6/C7 Z06 Vette is a damn fast amazing car. I have no problems cruising, talking shop or grabbing a beer with any car enthusiast. Nevertheless, I cannot stomach losing to them especially in my B/W brute with my little cutie next to me LOL!

What about nitrous? I know the Gen 2 bottom end has forged internals and can handle some extra combustion. My biggest fear is missing a shift, hitting the rev limiter and running lean leading to detonation/rebuild. Does anyone have experience running nitrous on Gen 2’s. All opinions are appreciated.

Next Phase
03-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Supercharger....Roe (if you can find one) or Paxton.

RAY W
03-25-2014, 08:18 PM
250hp shot of nos will give you about 7-10 more car lengths in the 1/4 mile.

No hemi
03-25-2014, 08:19 PM
What marko ( next phase) said!!!

GTSJoe
03-25-2014, 08:28 PM
7-10 car lengths…..now that is what I am talking about. What about the long-term durability?

slitherv10
03-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Look up this thread I opened a while back and read all the posts, you will find exactly what your looking for here, especially your Nitrous dilemma. ,,,,,,

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/1092-Built-Motor-VS-Supercharged-VS-Twin-Turbos

RAY W
03-25-2014, 08:54 PM
7-10 car lengths…..now that is what I am talking about. What about the long-term durability?

Ran it on my 98 GTS for about 9,000 miles over 10 years. A few hundred bottles. Car is in Sweden now still running last I heard.Keep the jetting rich. Properly jetted there is no danger. You can also destroy a motor in seconds if there is not enough extra fuel. You can start with the base 150hp set-up first.

Sybil TF
03-25-2014, 09:21 PM
What’s it going to take to not get smoked by a C6/C7 Z06 in my 97 GTS?

Learn to drive or 3:73's:smilielol: My husband beat his friends 2007 Zo6 in mine but mine has a few mods. No offense. But, his friend is a worse driver than me:lol2: I think...

GTSJoe
03-25-2014, 09:26 PM
Almost everyone says 3.73's are too much gearing. My driving skills are defiantly not up to par with the GTS. I am planning on taking some DE courses to become better acclimated with its potential. What mods do you have Sybil?

GTSJoe
03-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions Ray! Most say the car can handle the N2O with no problems. If nitrous is my choice (2015) I will have it professional installed and dialed in to run rich.

Sybil TF
03-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Almost everyone says 3.73's are too much gearing. My driving skills are defiantly not up to par with the GTS. I am planning on taking some DE courses to become better acclimated with its potential. What mods do you have Sybil?
M&M headers, hi-flow cats, 3inch Borla catback, T&D RR's, Fluidyne radiator, stage 2 Wilwood 6 & 4 piston brakes, JRZ adjustable shocks and 3:73 gears.

I finally got see what a Viper 3:07 geared car felt like and it felt really slow off the line. Other than maybe fuel mileage or the so called TT or SC'd cars I don't get the fuss over 3:73's. It cruises nicely in 6th gear and rocks when I mash the gas.

May be even better when I get a professional tune.

C.J
03-26-2014, 06:50 AM
You're starting on an endless quest. There is a guy locally here that has a stock looking C5 that cranks out about 800 hp at the rear wheel. If you pulled up to him at a stoplight and had your windows up and stereo on, you'd not hear that tell-tale whine coming out from under his hood, and he'd beat you like a rented mule when the light changes.

Have you taken a high-performance driving school?

Sybil TF
03-26-2014, 07:59 AM
You're starting on an endless quest. There is a guy locally here that has a stock looking C5 that cranks out about 800 hp at the rear wheel. If you pulled up to him at a stoplight and had your windows up and stereo on, you'd not hear that tell-tale whine coming out from under his hood, and he'd beat you like a rented mule when the light changes.

Have you taken a high-performance driving school? LOL No. A c5 vette? Only thing uglier is a c-4. I can make a Pinto fast too but hell it has got to look good first:lol2:

That's why I had this shirt done....

GTSJoe
03-26-2014, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the fantastic link. Did you end up adding nitrous to any of the cars in your fleet?

GTSPOWERED
03-26-2014, 06:51 PM
I am running a Roe 8 pounds,water meth,1.7 RR,headers and custom exhaust 665 HP & 665 TQ on my 1997BW GTS and its a hand full off the line. It has 500 TQ at 1000 rpm. I am a having fun.

Patrick.

JerseyGTS
03-26-2014, 07:48 PM
I am running a Roe 8 pounds,water meth,1.7 RR,headers and custom exhaust 665 HP & 665 TQ on my 1997BW GTS and its a hand full off the line. It has 500 TQ at 1000 rpm. I am a having fun.

Patrick.

Patrick, have you ever run the 10 lb pulley? If so what did the car put down? I 'm trying to decide between the 8 and 10....leaning towards 10. Similar mods as yours except I have stock headers.

slitherv10
03-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the fantastic link. Did you end up adding nitrous to any of the cars in your fleet?

If your asking me, no I decided that when I do decide...hmm..did that sound right?...anyway...that I would go NA and build the motor with heads cam etc. The SC and TT stuff is too tinker and fidgety. The Nitrous stuff, unless you get it perfect, your screwed, glued and Tattooed.
If any nitrous leaks in the intake, Kaboom, if you punch it too early or too late, Yikes, when you use it once on a full bottle, youget lots of HP, when you use it again on the same bottle, you get less Hp and when you use it a third time on the same bottle, you get even less Hp...etc youget the point. Then your filling bottles constantly and always purge the system clean after you put her away in the garage. Too much this and that for me. Always watching the pressure and the climate and the AF...etc etc....Its an excellent bang for the buck, but, it may have to spend a buck when it bangs.
Stay NA and build the motor. It sounds meaner then hell and gives you just the right amount of HP you need on the street without waisting the rest and keeps you reliable and starts every morning.
Just my opinion when I was shopping around for almost a year now on what to do.

Luisv
03-26-2014, 10:30 PM
C6 and C7 Vette Z06's are very different animals. Also depends on what you mean by getting smoked.... if you are talking about a drag race... OK. 3.73's are the easiest swap. They are not too much gear. They seem to be great... let's face it, 5th is barely usable at anything less that 60 MPH and 6th is at 1800 RPM or less at 80!... 3.73 is fine.

As for mountain roads... sorry, but I'll take the Viper.

I'd second what Sybil said... exhaust work and rollers... you'll feel a difference. Remember.... you have more torque already than the C6 Z06... The problem is the gearing.... they start with a 3.42...

Sybil TF
03-27-2014, 07:54 AM
C6 and C7 Vette Z06's are very different animals. Also depends on what you mean by getting smoked.... if you are talking about a drag race... OK. 3.73's are the easiest swap. They are not too much gear. They seem to be great... let's face it, 5th is barely usable at anything less that 60 MPH and 6th is at 1800 RPM or less at 80!... 3.73 is fine.

As for mountain roads... sorry, but I'll take the Viper.

I'd second what Sybil said... exhaust work and rollers... you'll feel a difference. Remember.... you have more torque already than the C6 Z06... The problem is the gearing.... they start with a 3.42...

I have seen plenty of C7 guys go with 4:11 gears. Give you whiplash but I just can't stand the car:rolleyes:

plumcrazy
03-27-2014, 01:03 PM
i ran over 100 bottles of nitrous (200 shot) thru my 98 GTS, that stuff is pure fun and can be safe if setup properly.

GTSPOWERED
03-27-2014, 06:32 PM
I have only ran the #8 pulley but my friend has an 98 GTS and he has a #10 pound pulley and he thinks he is running low on fuel on the top end.

slitherv10
03-27-2014, 09:31 PM
i ran over 100 bottles of nitrous (200 shot) thru my 98 GTS, that stuff is pure fun and can be safe if setup properly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Key point right there^