PDA

View Full Version : Driving Withdrawal

swexlin
02-27-2021, 01:10 PM
I am really missing driving, it has been a long winter, here in West Chester PA. My car has not been started nor moved out of the garage since the last time she was driven, which was 13 weeks (3 months) ago on Thanksgiving weekend. It's the longest it's ever sat since I've owned it (Oct 2014). I usually am able to get it out a couple times over the winter, but this year, we had early snow in December, and the crappy roads, combined with the fact it got very cold, very fast (too cold for the Corsas) meant it sat...and sat. Come this month, we've had ALOT of snow (about 1-2 times per week, several inches at a time), and now rain, and the roads literally haven't been clear of salt, nor dry, all month. She she sits.

Hoping for a break in the next couple weeks. I don't like letting her sit, but no choice. I am champing at the bit to take it off the tender, and fire up that glorious V10, back out of the garage, and open it up.

Anyone else?

blingnoring
02-27-2021, 02:16 PM
i don't know how some of you guys do it. i would have moved south long time ago lol. it's been an unusual long 4 weeks for me here in VA and i'm dying. waiting for all this rain to get rid of ALL the salt on the roads from a couple snowfalls and hopefully by next monday i can get lucky. hang in there swexlin

StrokerAce
02-27-2021, 02:35 PM
I'm originally from upstate, PA. Just a bit over 7 years ago I said screw it and moved south. Motorcycles, Corvette, and dog were the most important things I took with me. lol

I flew back up for a long weekend to actually drive my Corvette down just after New Years. I left at 4:30 AM and by 6 am there was 3+ inches of snow and it didn't stop. By the time I got to DC it was flurrying. I was barely staying ahead of it. By lower Virginia it was dry. Thankfully.

Steve M
02-27-2021, 03:30 PM
First driving day of the season for me was today, which was very unexpected. I usually don't get it back out until sometime later in March, but it was sooooooo nice today here.

TA Two Oh
02-27-2021, 03:44 PM
It can snow here in any month, including July and August. We always seem to have a snowfall or two in September. And two days from now will be the start of our heaviest snowfall month. Our second highest snowfall month is April.

Do the rest of you feel better now? You're welcome.

Hamrhead
02-27-2021, 04:02 PM
I am really missing driving, it has been a long winter, here in West Chester PA. My car has not been started nor moved out of the garage since the last time she was driven, which was 13 weeks (3 months) ago on Thanksgiving weekend. It's the longest it's ever sat since I've owned it (Oct 2014). I usually am able to get it out a couple times over the winter, but this year, we had early snow in December, and the crappy roads, combined with the fact it got very cold, very fast (too cold for the Corsas) meant it sat...and sat. Come this month, we've had ALOT of snow (about 1-2 times per week, several inches at a time), and now rain, and the roads literally haven't been clear of salt, nor dry, all month. She she sits.

Hoping for a break in the next couple weeks. I don't like letting her sit, but no choice. I am champing at the bit to take it off the tender, and fire up that glorious V10, back out of the garage, and open it up.

Anyone else?

Yes. February has been tough here in eastern PA.

I would complain, but at least there is an end in sight. Couldn't imagine living in Canada - Does winter last like 5-6 months a year? No thanks.

As far as moving far south, again no thanks. Too damn hot in the summer. Virginia, maybe someday?

swexlin
02-27-2021, 04:18 PM
It can snow here in any month, including July and August. We always seem to have a snowfall or two in September. And two days from now will be the start of our heaviest snowfall month. Our second highest snowfall month is April.

I don't know how you do it! But feel a little better! Seriously, how long is your driving season - 3-4 months or so?

swexlin
02-27-2021, 04:21 PM
Yes. February has been tough here in eastern PA.

I would complain, but at least there is an end in sight. Couldn't imagine living in Canada - Does winter last like 5-6 months a year? No thanks.

As far as moving far south, again no thanks. Too damn hot in the summer. Virginia, maybe someday?

I love South Florida, I love hot weather. It's cliche' I know, but if and when I ever retire I'm outta here for there! As for VA - it snows plenty there, they have the toughest driving laws in the nation, AND you'd have to pay horrendous property tax on your Viper every year. Virginia is the last state I would want to live in. No offense to any Virginians here.

Policy Limits
02-27-2021, 04:40 PM
Been two months for me. Way overdue.

RT SERPENT
02-27-2021, 06:39 PM

It's so good to have someone to commiserate with.:furious::lol2:

TA Two Oh
02-27-2021, 08:00 PM
I don't know how you do it! But feel a little better! Seriously, how long is your driving season - 3-4 months or so?
Thankfully the early (Sept) and late (May) snowfalls tend to be short lived. So we can often get out before and after them. We end up with a 6 month season, except that there are periods in there when we have to put our cars away. We do have plenty of gorgeous scenery (next to the Rocky Mountains) and lots and lots of relatively empty driving roads. We console ourselves by thinking that sort of makes up for the time we spend parked.

Whitey
02-27-2021, 08:40 PM
Thankfully the early (Sept) and late (May) snowfalls tend to be short lived. So we can often get out before and after them. We end up with a 6 month season, except that there are periods in there when we have to put our cars away. We do have plenty of gorgeous scenery (next to the Rocky Mountains) and lots and lots of relatively empty driving roads. We console ourselves by thinking that sort of makes up for the time we spend parked.

All year driving in Southern California with a million cars at any given time or an Alberta 6 month driving season with empty roads?

I say Alberta! Your roads are spectacular.

Whiskey
02-27-2021, 09:54 PM
I will have a drink for you guys after a swim.

-signed...just drove 2.5hrs one way for dinner date.

chris_lee
02-27-2021, 10:07 PM
I feel ya... with all the Covid stuff on top there is just not much to do, nowhere to really go. I should have called my insurance and adjusted my mileage to like <500 lol. I’m ready for spring to hit. Going to have to do double time in the car this summer.

SilveRT8
02-28-2021, 01:48 AM
3 alternatives for winter driving fun !
OK, forget the last one !

HOLLYWOOD
02-28-2021, 03:04 AM
3 alternatives for winter driving fun !
OK, forget the last one !

This post is priceless, No problem in Calgary waiting for the spring driving season. There is nothing that compares to a 850 cc Polaris mountain sled with shoulder separating acceleration with the front skis 18" off the ground to 70 MPH!!! It is the only recreational off road sport where you can go as fast as you want within reason and there are no cops running those ridiculous multanova money grabbing BS cameras. :t15150:

ViperJon
02-28-2021, 06:31 AM
I don't mind the seasons. It makes spring all the more glorious when after a few months of isolation that one day comes when it hits 60 degrees and the roads are clean. What a fun ride that is. We've had a rough snowy February (38 inches) here on Long Island but looks like we are turning the corner now. For me it keeps the car very special. Don't know if I would feel that way if I could drive it every day.

viperBase1
02-28-2021, 07:10 AM
All year driving in Southern California with a million cars at any given time or an Alberta 6 month driving season with empty roads?
I say Alberta! Your roads are spectacular.
Isn't it a shame? Most of the roads in SoCal suck so bad yet we pay so much in taxes. :confused:

I will have a drink for you guys after a swim.
-signed...just drove 2.5hrs one way for dinner date.
That's livin' Whiskey!!

Hamrhead
02-28-2021, 07:19 AM
As for VA - it snows plenty there, they have the toughest driving laws in the nation, AND you'd have to pay horrendous property tax on your Viper every year. Virginia is the last state I would want to live in. No offense to any Virginians here.

Yeah, there will be plenty of research before a decision is made. For now I'm staying put.

commandomatt
02-28-2021, 08:05 AM
I don't mind the seasons. It makes spring all the more glorious when after a few months of isolation that one day comes when it hits 60 degrees and the roads are clean. What a fun ride that is. We've had a rough snowy February (38 inches) here on Long Island but looks like we are turning the corner now. For me it keeps the car very special. Don't know if I would feel that way if I could drive it every day.

I agree with this 100%. Looking forward to spring and everything that comes with it is really nice. You really appreciate it that much more. Our roads are spectacular right out of the back door. Some of the best two lane twisties with minimal traffic.

Only thing you have wait for are some good spring showers to wash all the gravel off the roads.

JD03Cobra
02-28-2021, 09:37 AM
I know the feeling...Usually don't drive my cars till mid March but had 50's and sunny over the past few days. Went out for a nice dinner in the Viper! That will hold me off for another month.

Policy Limits
02-28-2021, 11:45 AM
This thread inspired me...so thanks!

She's been úp on a lift for months. Battery charging was on point. Got PSI úp to spec and did a nice little run. Combo of highway and regular streets. 1,390 miles on the odometer afterwards. Looked, sounded & ran great. And of course turned every head out there.

swexlin
02-28-2021, 12:05 PM
Looking good, Policy. How long has she been sitting? I want to get out!

chris_lee
02-28-2021, 01:29 PM
This thread inspired me...so thanks!

She's been úp on a lift for months. Battery charging was on point. Got PSI úp to spec and did a nice little run. Combo of highway and regular streets. 1,390 miles on the odometer afterwards. Looked, sounded & ran great. And of course turned every head out there.

You are probably all over Instagram now. The amount of people that video me driving is funny. If I ever mess up, I’ll be famous lol. I can’t imagine in your car.

Policy Limits
02-28-2021, 02:21 PM
Been sitting since New Years dáy. So its been a couple of months. I dont mind the attention, comes with the territory. Can't wait for the spring.

TA Two Oh
02-28-2021, 02:55 PM
Policy... your car is just sick! (Assuming that's still a phrase these days) Glad that you got to take it out this weekend.

RT SERPENT
02-28-2021, 04:09 PM
Policy... your car is just sick! (Assuming that's still a phrase these days) Glad that you got to take it out this weekend.

Agreed!

Well since we can't get out for a drive yet ...this forum ....and being able to head into the man cave and hang with the Vipers is what keeps me going
through the long winter withdrawal season.

StrokerAce
02-28-2021, 04:18 PM
If I moved back to the snowy north my whiskey and scotch spending would go up. lol

I still love to go back up and hunt.:)

inquirer86
03-01-2021, 02:21 AM

You say "that's fire" nowadays lol

Policy Limits
03-01-2021, 07:32 AM
I thought ít was "Lit?" Hahaha. In all fairness we said "dope" in the 90's.....

Lawineer
03-01-2021, 08:00 AM
Went to undergrad in Michigan. I had enough of that. Not only could I not drive sports cars half the year, I had to have a daily driver that would rust out every few years. Grad school requirement was that it be located below Mason-Dixon line. For years my only vehicles were sports cars and/or motorcycles.

Eventually, I got older, got a dog, bought a house and finances improved so I bought an SUV for comfort, dog hauling, home depot runs and etc. I cant imagine living somewhere without easy access to 5 or 6 tracks (one of which is COTA) that I can make day trips out of (ECR, MSRC, MSRH, COTA, HH, and Hallet).

mikesax
03-01-2021, 09:21 AM
I HATE the EFFIN WINTER! Haven't had mine out since the end of January-going on 5 weeks-for me that's a lot! Where I live in Jersey we've had about 36" of snow since February 1ST-still no grass to be seen! Hopefully in a week or so I might be able to get them out for a bit! The older I get- the more I hate the winter! Spring cannot come soon enough! As long as they don't feel the NEED to put salt/brine on the roads- I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Nothing more frustrating than when the salt is gone- than all of a sudden there's a fresh coat of it out of nowhere !

pMak26
03-01-2021, 09:48 AM
^same. In North NJ we still have a lot of snow. I switch snakes for these months.

Lawineer
03-01-2021, 10:45 AM
NJ has to be the worst. Bad weather, no good mountains, traffic all the time, not many easily accessible race tracks :lol:

SilveRT8
03-01-2021, 10:46 AM
I thought ít was "Lit?" Hahaha. In all fairness we said "dope" in the 90's.....

We said ''Looks Sharp'' in the '70s....

mikesax
03-01-2021, 11:10 AM
NJ has to be the worst. Bad weather, no good mountains, traffic all the time, not many easily accessible race tracks :lol:

YUP- that's why when we actually get a really "nice day" we are just SO DAMN HAPPY!

swexlin
03-01-2021, 02:09 PM
I HATE the EFFIN WINTER! Haven't had mine out since the end of January-going on 5 weeks-for me that's a lot! Where I live in Jersey we've had about 36" of snow since February 1ST-still no grass to be seen! Hopefully in a week or so I might be able to get them out for a bit! The older I get- the more I hate the winter! Spring cannot come soon enough! As long as they don't feel the NEED to put salt/brine on the roads- I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Nothing more frustrating than when the salt is gone- than all of a sudden there's a fresh coat of it out of nowhere !

Couldn't have said it better myself. The forecast for this Saturday here is reasonable, and we've had some rain to clean the roads. But there's still melting snow...so we'll see.....

Fatboy 18
03-01-2021, 02:40 PM
Not driven my car since October last year :( Weather is slowly getting better here and some cars are going for the odd quick drive out, but we are still in National Lockdown so no official car and coffee meets yet.

Hamrhead
03-01-2021, 02:58 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. The forecast for this Saturday here is reasonable, and we've had some rain to clean the roads. But there's still melting snow...so we'll see.....

With all of the melting snow today and the temps dropping like a rock tonight, good 'ole PennDot will be salting the shit out of anything that freezes on the roads tonight!

RT SERPENT
03-01-2021, 04:53 PM
I suppose it's a little easier for us up North. When we set the cars up in hibernation we just resign ourselves to the fact that we won't be driving
them again for another 6 months :(

No false hopes. lol!

Policy Limits
03-01-2021, 06:33 PM
Do guys úp north utilize hibernation mode?

I never have used ít & just plug in a deltran instead.

pMak26
03-01-2021, 07:50 PM

I don't use hibernation mode. It's always pulled into the heated garage, parked on Flatstopper ramps and plugged into the tender.

Whiskey
03-01-2021, 09:38 PM
That's why I moved from Seattle to Florida. I couldn't stand not driving my Viper (and other sports cars). I was so Effing sick of the weather....I told my wife one day "Babe...I'm moving to Florida, you are welcome to come because I love you...The rest of the state can fall off the fucking map." I quit my job, sold the house and moved. No plan other than GTFO of Seattle.

...20 years and counting...She for some strange reason is married to me.

But it's not all perfect driving weather here year round. I get a solid 9mos. The other 3 months it dumps rain at random times and it's useless too even look at the weather report. So while you guys get to enjoy the summer driving, summer is my winter and it's miserable. But...going to the beach and seeing all the hot 20
Somethings makes it tolerable.

James
03-02-2021, 03:26 AM
Not driven my car since October last year :( Weather is slowly getting better here and some cars are going for the odd quick drive out, but we are still in National Lockdown so no official car and coffee meets yet.
Mine went into hibernation in early November, I can't wait for spring to come. We had lots of snow this year at the lake (way more than usually) and it's terribly cold. Also, I always wait for a few rainy days after winter, so that all the salt is gone from the streets. Few more weeks to wait, I guess. Other than that, no meets over here for the moment as well...

Fatboy 18
03-02-2021, 06:49 AM
Mine went into hibernation in early November, I can't wait for spring to come. We had lots of snow this year at the lake (way more than usually) and it's terribly cold. Also, I always wait for a few rainy days after winter, so that all the salt is gone from the streets. Few more weeks to wait, I guess. Other than that, no meets over here for the moment as well...

We need some more Euro trips once this Covid situation gets under control

GTS Dean
03-02-2021, 07:28 AM
Isn't it a shame? Most of the roads in SoCal suck so bad yet we pay so much in taxes. :confused:

It's simple. You let the state and local legislation pass for all-encompassing "transportation" projects instead of "ROADS."

On the federal side, Tom Carper - D, Del. (Senate chair) is all about environment and alternative modes.
Buttigeig is in lock-step as Transportation Secretary. The federal share of our gasoline taxes is STILL 18.4 cents per gallon - same since 1993.

This link shows a ranking of motor fuel tax collections by state. These listings DO NOT include the 18.4cent gasoline, or the 25cent diesel federal tax, which is in addition to state and local levies. California pays 63 cents/gallon PLUS 18.4 for a 81.4 cent total gasoline tax.

https://www.rockdalenewtoncitizen.com/multimedia/photos/states-with-the-highest-gas-tax/collection_6ce03cf3-f1e1-5542-b81f-2879f279e081.html#51

swexlin
03-02-2021, 07:33 AM

I use both, all the time, every time.

RT SERPENT
03-02-2021, 12:47 PM

I don't actually use the "hibernation mode" either. Just plug in the Deltran battery tenders and let them do the work.:D

Hamrhead
03-02-2021, 03:46 PM
I've used Hibernation Mode on all of my Vipers. It was usually good on the Gen III & IV's to get me through the winter, but my Gen V battery doesn't seem to hold on as long.

Last year it went dead enough to get me a CEL, and this year the same thing happened.

Might spring for a new battery this year.

swexlin
03-02-2021, 04:53 PM
Yeah, Hibernation mode bymy itself won't be enough if sitting for weeks through a cold winter. I replaced my battery last spring.

swexlin
03-13-2021, 10:37 AM
Update:
Just returned from a 43 mile drive to nowhere and back. Just local and highway roads, trying to dodge potholes. First time in 15 weeks! She fired right up, and purrrrrred like my cat Jack! Like it had just been driven yesterday. Couldn't really open it up, as temps are still only about 40 here this morning, so the Corsas were cold. I looked in my logbook: since 9/23, when I had it PA inspected and oil changed, counting, it has been out of the garage 4 times, for total of 150 miles. Ugh, that's bad, even for me. Combination of being very busy with work, and the horrible winter and road conditions.
But spring is here folks!

Hamrhead
03-13-2021, 04:58 PM
I was going to try to jump start mine today, because I know the battery is super low, but I just didn't feel like messing with it.

Like you mentioned, too damn many potholes right now, and it's still chilly enough that there's no traction to speak of either.

Murpowa
03-15-2021, 08:55 AM
Update:
Just returned from a 43 mile drive to nowhere and back. Just local and highway roads, trying to dodge potholes. First time in 15 weeks! She fired right up, and purrrrrred like my cat Jack! Like it had just been driven yesterday. Couldn't really open it up, as temps are still only about 40 here this morning, so the Corsas were cold. I looked in my logbook: since 9/23, when I had it PA inspected and oil changed, counting, it has been out of the garage 4 times, for total of 150 miles. Ugh, that's bad, even for me. Combination of being very busy with work, and the horrible winter and road conditions.
But spring is here folks!

Bravo! Lets get it out to some cars and coffee events

Whiskey
03-15-2021, 04:25 PM
Just visiting upstate NY on a business trip this week.... How the FORK does anyone live in this it's 19*F in the middle of the day! I was in nothing but shorts and running shoes and ran a 1/2 marathon Sunday and it was a perfect 77*F in FL.

I have a new level of pity for everyone north of the Bible Belt now.

ForTehNguyen
03-16-2021, 09:39 PM
busy month for me, car meet last sat, car meet this sat, then next sat a viper cruise

StrokerAce
03-17-2021, 07:19 AM
Just visiting upstate NY on a business trip this week.... How the FORK does anyone live in this it's 19*F in the middle of the day! I was in nothing but shorts and running shoes and ran a 1/2 marathon Sunday and it was a perfect 77*F in FL.

I have a new level of pity for everyone north of the Bible Belt now.

I lived on the PA/NY border and the weather was a huge contributing factor for why I moved.

GTS21
03-20-2021, 05:47 PM
Got my Viper out today, still a blast to drive!

Viperenvy
03-20-2021, 07:26 PM
324 miles around the DMV today

swexlin
03-21-2021, 10:01 AM
324 miles around the DMV today

In one day? Wow..

Hamrhead
04-10-2021, 06:39 PM
After about 5 months I managed to get the car out today. Was supposed to rain a little, but it turned out to be just about perfect weather. So after a quick battery charge, I put about 28 miles on it this afternoon. Pretty much just cruised around, but there's a chance I may have wound out 2nd gear. Twice.

Tomorrow (Sunday) there's a better chance of rain, so I figured seize the opportunity. Cleaned it up and put it away again.

As mentioned above, still a blast to drive!

StrokerAce
04-10-2021, 07:41 PM
I had mine out for the first time last night. Forgot to take a pic of it done in the sun but she looks pretty shiney. :) The old lady came home after I waxed it and it was drying she says "Is it supposed to look that way?" Haha

But I put about 35 miles on it and went to a small cruise in. Last night was a great night to drive. For some reason the 2nd pic keeps uploading upside down. Lol

swexlin
04-11-2021, 05:24 AM
After about 5 months I managed to get the car out today. Was supposed to rain a little, but it turned out to be just about perfect weather. So after a quick battery charge, I put about 28 miles on it this afternoon. Pretty much just cruised around, but there's a chance I may have wound out 2nd gear. Twice.

Tomorrow (Sunday) there's a better chance of rain, so I figured seize the opportunity. Cleaned it up and put it away again.

As mentioned above, still a blast to drive!

Mine hasnt been out since I made that last entry 4 weeks ago. Rain in the morning, and the I was bogged down in other things the rest of the day. Today is a washout.

Whiskey
04-11-2021, 07:57 PM
My turn for driving withdrawals. I've been working all week near Phoenix Az. It's depressing not driving the Viper everyday. My "daily" is a 2021 Mustang eco-toot.