PDA

View Full Version : In search of a rear Moton shock for Comp Coupe

Exhlr8n
02-08-2021, 02:47 PM
Hi,

Looking for any leads on a rear Moton shock for Comp Coupe. They have a #166 stamped on them if that means anything. I have new fronts and 1 new rear. Looking to complete the set. What else am I missing, end caps?

Thanks,
Tom

TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM
02-08-2021, 03:09 PM
Hi,

Looking for any leads on a rear Moton shock for Comp Coupe. They have a #166 stamped on them if that means anything. I have new fronts and 1 new rear. Looking to complete the set. What else am I missing, end caps?

Thanks,
Tom

#166 is probably just a serial number used for build information; shock placement LF, RR, valving , shim , oil weight, customer, spring rates etc. Moton should have a data on each shock using this number

Exhlr8n
02-08-2021, 03:31 PM
Thanks TKO,

I had left a text regarding the other set of the SupaShocks. Thanks

Tom 559-840-7318

Arizona Vipers
02-08-2021, 04:08 PM
Could you replace with MCS?

TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM
02-08-2021, 04:18 PM
Other parts you need that i can see
Eyelets....thing that bolts on and threaded shock shaft and has spherical bearings in them. Moton should have them on the shelf or one of their dealers
Spring spacers some people call them cross over rings.....basically thin washer that centers up your helper or tender spring to your main spring. We have them on the shelf or you can get them from summit racing, jegs 12-20.00 ea
Bump stops. Moton runs oversized shock shafts so go to moton they should have half a dozen different bump stops and durometers to choose from.
of course springs im sure you knew that. Linear springs, not sure what your doing with car but good place to start for spring rates 600lb frt 1300 lb rear. Eibach or hyper coil is you best bet. Summit or jegs they will have to special order most likely the 1300 lb springs.

If you have any questions you can always email martin@tkomotorsports.com

steve911
02-08-2021, 07:50 PM
I would send the rear one off to Moton to rebuilt. Reason being that the missing rod end that has the adjuster wheel is missing and the small diameter rod that the wheel attaches to can be very finicky. Also the seals on the hose swivels are due in my opinion to to be replaced in order to keep fluid from leaking.

There are also alum spacers that fit into the monoballs at each of the shock that are missing along the the upper spring retainer. The Comp Coupe Motons used a shorter shock than the 2 way street version due to the reduced ride height.

Give Tom Francis a call at DMS South and he may be able to fix you up with the spacers for the shocks. OE Spring rates for the World Challenge Comp Coupe unless specified otherwise was 1000 lb front and 1000 lb Rear, provided you had the "kickout style" rear lower shock mounts. If not, the rear Spring rate was the same as the VRL Comp Coupe at 1500lb.

Exhlr8n
02-09-2021, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the info Steve.

These have never been ran or mounted. Currently has 1050 1b front and rear springs. Still need to find another rear shock somewhere, as I only have.

Rich Wesorick
02-09-2021, 06:54 AM
I would try Jeff Stout at Complete Motorsports in Sebring OH.

Mbccenter
02-09-2021, 08:01 AM
I posted on your Facebook but i do have a bunch of Moton parts in my trailer of parts. Problem is it is below zero here now. Should be warmer in a week or so.

mjorgensen
02-09-2021, 10:58 AM
Are you installing these on a Comp Coupe or trying to retrofit to another car because there are some dimensional differences you will need to look at. I believe they used smaller mounting bolts than non CC cars so you would need proper spacers and they are a very short travel shock that won't work on a street car at all. If none of this applies to your situation then I apologize for the response.

13COBRA
02-09-2021, 11:11 AM
^^^ It's going on his CC.

Exhlr8n
02-09-2021, 12:40 PM
Cable: Don't know if MCS has a VCC specific shock or not. Not really looking for a 3rd set of shocks. Just want to complete the Moton set for now (if possible), so If I decide to switch them out I'll be good to go.

Thanks Mark, yes it is for the VCC. I want to complete the set. Do you have anything available?

Thanks MBC! Please let me know when you can.

Appreciate the help gentlemen!

mjorgensen
02-12-2021, 12:10 PM
Cable: Don't know if MCS has a VCC specific shock or not. Not really looking for a 3rd set of shocks. Just want to complete the Moton set for now (if possible), so If I decide to switch them out I'll be good to go.

Thanks Mark, yes it is for the VCC. I want to complete the set. Do you have anything available?

Thanks MBC! Please let me know when you can.

Appreciate the help gentlemen!

I agree you should try this place "I would try Jeff Stout at Complete Motorsports in Sebring OH."