View Full Version : Anybody try one of this yet

TheMadMachinist
01-27-2021, 05:42 PM
https://www.s1sequential.com/product/sequential-shifter-viper-t56-tr6060-copy/

What do you guys think?

TheMadMachinist
02-01-2021, 05:36 PM
Ok..... I guess not.

I have a buddy with an Gen 5 ACR that will be installing one of these in a week or two.

I will let you know what it's like, if there is any interest after I get out there and check it out.

13COBRA
02-01-2021, 05:36 PM
Interesting.

I've never seen one in a Viper. A buddy of mine has one similar in his C6 Z06 track car, he likes it.

Steve M
02-01-2021, 06:56 PM
I know of one in a Gen 5.

13COBRA
02-02-2021, 07:40 AM
I know of one in a Gen 5.

What do they think of it?

Mbccenter
02-02-2021, 08:09 AM
That is just a shifter so still need to use the clutch and everything. Don't really see the point of using it?

13COBRA
02-02-2021, 08:11 AM
That is just a shifter so still need to use the clutch and everything. Don't really see the point of using it?

Moving in a straight line forward/backward will always be faster than having to use an H pattern. Wouldn't save seconds or anything, but definitely tenths.

98intrigue
02-02-2021, 08:37 AM
There is a local owner on the FB Owners Group page that installed this on his Procharger/heads/cam car.

Steve M
02-02-2021, 09:34 AM
What do they think of it?

I'll have to ask - seems to be working for him, but not sure why he wanted it.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Should help prevent missed/money shifts though.

TheMadMachinist
02-03-2021, 11:00 PM
Well yes you would have to use the clutch. But why couldn't you install a ignition stutterer. I have one on two of my motorcycles both Harley's. On my 1984 softail it's a simple mechanical switch hooked to the shifter leakage that when activated it stutters the ignition for just a moment and allows me to shift the bike with no clutch at any RPM even full load.On my 2005 V rod it's a little more advanced and it has two buttons. One for up shifts and one for down shifts.That when push that would activate not only the ignition to be cut for a moment but it also has a solenoid that moves the shifter as well. Any RPM and any load.

I believe they have been running these on sport bikes and even dirt bikes for many years.

Years ago I even helped i guy set one of these up on a foot clutch "suicide shift" Harley and it worked flawlessly and it was really a lot of fun to drive.

This last point is the point of this shifter for those that can't get their head around it. Even with having to use the clutch when shifting, this deal even though on the pricey side, would be "fun" for some to drive and ever so slightly "faster" than a standard pattern shifter.

Now I do also understand that most people on here believe they are masters of shifting the standard pattern transmission "I am not saying you aren't" and missing a gear shift is something that only other guys do. But you would have to agree this shifter is faster than a standard pattern. Maybe not by much. But add that you just about can't miss a gear with it. Now do I believe its worth the money. Not so much but with an ignition cut out this mite be the edge over the guy in the next lane. Plus the fun factor.

Now back to the ignition deal. I total understand that a Viper transmission is not a motorcycle transmission. But is it not still just a transmission? Yes the loads would be greater and would a Viper transmission hold up to this kind of shifting? I am not the one that has that answer. Could it be integrated into the Viper electronics? This is another question that is was passed my paid grade.

TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM
02-04-2021, 10:52 AM
Well yes you would have to use the clutch. But why couldn't you install a ignition stutterer. I have one on two of my motorcycles both Harley's. On my 1984 softail it's a simple mechanical switch hooked to the shifter leakage that when activated it stutters the ignition for just a moment and allows me to shift the bike with no clutch at any RPM even full load.On my 2005 V rod it's a little more advanced and it has two buttons. One for up shifts and one for down shifts.That when push that would activate not only the ignition to be cut for a moment but it also has a solenoid that moves the shifter as well. Any RPM and any load.

I believe they have been running these on sport bikes and even dirt bikes for many years.

Years ago I even helped i guy set one of these up on a foot clutch "suicide shift" Harley and it worked flawlessly and it was really a lot of fun to drive.

This last point is the point of this shifter for those that can't get their head around it. Even with having to use the clutch when shifting, this deal even though on the pricey side, would be "fun" for some to drive and ever so slightly "faster" than a standard pattern shifter.

Now I do also understand that most people on here believe they are masters of shifting the standard pattern transmission "I am not saying you aren't" and missing a gear shift is something that only other guys do. But you would have to agree this shifter is faster than a standard pattern. Maybe not by much. But add that you just about can't miss a gear with it. Now do I believe its worth the money. Not so much but with an ignition cut out this mite be the edge over the guy in the next lane. Plus the fun factor.

Now back to the ignition deal. I total understand that a Viper transmission is not a motorcycle transmission. But is it not still just a transmission? Yes the loads would be greater and would a Viper transmission hold up to this kind of shifting? I am not the one that has that answer. Could it be integrated into the Viper electronics? This is another question that is was passed my paid grade.

Motorcycle trans are sequential dog ring( or should say most motorcycles) so technically you dont need to use a clutch. BUT you should use the clutch if your just cruising around town saves alot of wear and tear on trans and money. Same goes for sequential bump shift cars. In the pits or pit lane or cruising around town use the clutch. Racing you can no clutch and rev match bike or car.
There have been a few companies out there in the past 30 years that have made bump style shifters for H- pattern trans. In a racing environment they were never reliable enough and the complexity they added was always a problem. We use to call systems or products like this that non functioning engineers would come up with the "Alpha Romeo/ lancia problem"................... "SO TRICK IT DOESNT WORK".
All the Alpha Romeo and Lancia lovers Im there with you so dont get butt hurt. Alpha 155 ti DTM, GTV Lancia 037 and the Delta all meat eater legendary cars with ground breaking tech. BUT if you drive or race an Alpha or Lancia you know the pin is pulled every time you hit the ignition.

GTS Dean
02-04-2021, 06:01 PM
Motorcycle trans are sequential dog ring( or should say most motorcycles) so technically you dont need to use a clutch.

^^^This.^^^ Synchros really like being unloaded to operate smoothly.

RedTanRT/10
02-04-2021, 06:19 PM

Mad, yeah it's quicker going up, but I'll bet you can go quicker from 5th to 2nd with your H pattern then I can with an EMCO sequential!! You shift once, I have to row 3 times. Hoping to convert to paddles by this summer Mike

Mbccenter
02-05-2021, 07:31 AM
Mad I have a extra real sequential trans if you like.

Grcforce327
02-05-2021, 06:48 PM
Go sequential "trans", or sit your ass on the porch!

TheMadMachinist
02-08-2021, 02:45 AM
TKO

You mentioned how motorcycle transmissions are not the same as car transmission.

What about big trucks are their transmissions like motorcycles, as any driver worth his beans never uses a clutch for gear changes when driving one.

Or is this only possible because they rev match when doing so?

Steve M
02-08-2021, 09:21 AM
I don't think semis use synchronized transmissions.

TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM
02-08-2021, 11:05 AM
TKO

You mentioned how motorcycle transmissions are not the same as car transmission.

What about big trucks are their transmissions like motorcycles, as any driver worth his beans never uses a clutch for gear changes when driving one.

Or is this only possible because they rev match when doing so?

Im not even close to an expert on large trucks trans operations. I do know the older trucks trans where straight cut gears and no syncros so you would have to rev match/ double clutch. Old trucker saying " slam your hand in the door before you drive a twin stick 13 speed". The new manual truck trans are helical cut gears and i think some even have syncros now. Lot of trucks now are automatics trans since not alot of people can drive stick.

Grcforce327
02-08-2021, 04:12 PM
Lot of trucks now are automatics trans since not alot of people can drive stick.

Makes it easy for us to give an accurate rebuild quote by just a test drive and or scan, since we do so many automatics.