PDA

View Full Version : New owner in MN

ANALOG
01-24-2021, 01:10 PM
I just recently purchased a 1996 B/W GTS. It has some issues here and there and I have already started to buy and source some parts. I am mainly looking for interior panels, a windshield, valve covers and headlights. I cant tell if the tail lights are tinted or smoked. The car was painted with an ACR style theme. I wasn't a fan at first, but the more I look at it the more I start to like it. Here are a few of my issues, questions, and concerns:

1. I noticed oil on the ground where I park it. When I was inspecting it on the lift I noticed some oil buildup around what appeared to be an oil cooler line. I hope this is it, but it might be an oil pan gasket.

2. The vehicle appears to be stock, other than maybe a hi-flow cat or gutted cat. Would this require a tune if it was modified? There are currently and have never been any check engine lights.

3. After I bought the car and went on a shakedown run I drove about 35 miles to my friends house. While idling in his driveway for about 5-7 minutes it started leaking coolant pretty rapidly. It was coming from the passenger side front bumper over area near the fog light housing. I immediately shut the car off and turned on the aux fan switch. The car was at 190-195 when I shut it off. As soon as I killed it the leaking stopped. When we opened the hood I didn't see any cracked hoses or any signs of a leak source up top. After talking with Brian, he thinks it may be the coolant reservoir in the bumper cover... so Ill need to figure out how to remove the bumper without damaging it.

4. I read that there are a few Vipers floating around called GTS 2s that have a blue-ish style interior with stripes on the seats. My car has this... and I wonder if mine is a GTS 2? I tried to locate the article and have been unable to find it.

5. A/C doesn't work. When I was driving it was around 20 degrees outside. As soon as I turned on the heat and defrost a bunch of steam came into the cab and fogged up the windows. When I turned it off it stopped and when we manually wiped the windows down it was fine afterwards.

6. Does anybody know of any good and trusted Viper shops around the Twin Cities, MN area? I'm a bit skeptical of the local dealer as they have already quoted me insane prices for stuff; key/keyfob/programming was $480.

7. Both of my door stanchions are damaged or missing. I was able to find a driver side one and am still on the hunt for a passenger side.

8. The interior is missing some fasteners here and there. Does anyone have a link explaining where things belong and the associated part numbers?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

John

AZTVR
01-24-2021, 01:30 PM
You might get more response to your questions if you post in the Gen 2 forum.

Remove the 4 inch rubber plug in the fender liner in front of the right front wheel and put your hand in with a flashlight (or whatever) and shine a light toward the overflow bottle. Look though the vertical slot in approx same area at the level of coolant in the bottle. If none seen, then you might have a common issue where one of the screws along the underside of the front lip pokes a hole in the bottom of the bottle. Mine: 46694

Viperenvy
01-24-2021, 01:30 PM
Good to see you here!

ANALOG
01-24-2021, 10:26 PM
Good to see you here!

Thanks for all the info!

- - - Updated - - -

I’ll take a peak down there and see what I can find!

Mbccenter
01-25-2021, 07:48 AM
Mitch will be the guy to see here local plus I have a few semi trailer full of parts... Mitch will be down and out for a few weeks now but back soon. You can PM me your number.

RT SERPENT
01-25-2021, 11:19 AM
:t1236: What he said.

ANALOG
01-28-2021, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!

TheMadMachinist
01-28-2021, 05:41 PM
Well you came to the right place for Viper info. You mite consider joining the club and supporting this forum.

There is a wealth of information to be had from this forum not to mention all the priceless knowledge that so many members posses.

Now lets see some pictures of that bad boy.