PDA

View Full Version : Cracked a rim on Tucson's amazing roads.

stryfe
03-22-2014, 06:13 PM
I am not sure when I actually did the cracking, but as I was detailing the car today I was unhappily surprised to find one of the spokes on the front wheel had been cracked clean through. There are some serious potholes in my area and I have hit one or two on accident before. The rims themselves aren't in the greatest shape and I had been planning to get some newer ones and retire these to race duty. Oh, well! I may try and snatch up some cheap wheels in the meantime as I am having difficulty even verifying who makes the ones I have now. They look a lot like old HRE 545Rs but with more of a lip. If anyone has some 18" OEMs in decent shape laying around I might be interested in taking them off your hands.

BlknBlu
03-22-2014, 06:20 PM
wow, never seen that before. you would have had to hit something pretty hard.

Bruce

Torquemonster06
03-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Ouch, that sucks.

LeadfootRT10
03-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Hey, the original Vipers only had 3 spoke wheels, you're still up by one!

stryfe
03-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Hey, the original Vipers only had 3 spoke wheels, you're still up by one!

haha, yeah. i was probably driving around on it like that for at least a couple of weeks!

XSnake
03-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Those look like my old wheels. Who did you get them from? I believe those are HRE's that are re branded as Hennessey's. You can have just the center replaced.

uvbnbit
03-23-2014, 01:13 PM
yes, if it is a 2 or 3 pc wheel, center could be replaced. I would bet the back side of the inner barrel would be bent too. That may be able to be fixed, if not, replace it too. OR find replacement. Do NOT try and have the crack fixed and do NOT use on the track (you probably already know that though)

stryfe
03-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Those look like my old wheels. Who did you get them from? I believe those are HRE's that are re branded as Hennessey's. You can have just the center replaced.

That is what I am hoping to do. I contacted HRE to see if they had any info/parts for them. I got them from jrod a couple of years ago in OKC.

XSnake
03-23-2014, 02:22 PM
I'm 95% sure those are my old ones. The centers do come out. Let all the air out of the tire first and then undo all the bolts. You should be able to send them just the center piece.

I replaced a center in one of my Forgelines last year from a similar crack.

stryfe
03-24-2014, 12:46 AM
I'm 95% sure those are my old ones. The centers do come out. Let all the air out of the tire first and then undo all the bolts. You should be able to send them just the center piece.

I replaced a center in one of my Forgelines last year from a similar crack.

sweet, i will try that. any chance you remember the model?

XSnake
03-24-2014, 07:48 AM
sweet, i will try that. any chance you remember the model?

No, look for some markings on the barrel or the back of the center section. I think I remember seeing something on one of them. It wasn't very obvious either. I'm pretty sure these were sold as Hennessy wheels but made by HRE. Maybe Hennessy knows more

Loud
03-24-2014, 01:07 PM
I have a set of graphite SSR's for sale if you are looking to buy a cheap set. Ping me if interested.

345s-bspinnin
03-24-2014, 01:44 PM
My 545Rs have the valve stem protruding through one of the fasteners to appear hidden. In the OPs post, the first pictures shows the valve stem just sticking out of the outer lip unlike my HREs. Food for thought.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/345s-bspinnin/HREWheel_zpsd2225f0d.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/345s-bspinnin/media/HREWheel_zpsd2225f0d.jpg.html)

XSnake
03-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Those are a newer design

Vprbite
03-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Dude I feel ya. There are certain roads I simply avoid for that reason. Also, if I ever come up on a section I didn't know was under construction or whatever, I just crawl through it, knowing I am pissing off those behind me, and hope I do enough good things the rest of the time to even out my karma for slowing everyone down. I have the 10 spoke stockers which are stupid heavy but pretty damn strong as I understand it. Our roads make me scared to change em.

Also, you said you drove around like that for weeks. Isn't it possible that it was a micro fracture that was fatiguing and then fully cracked when you pulled into your driveway the last time? I.E. there was nothing to notice until just recently? Looks like you are on your way to getting them fixed. Let me know what you end up doing. If you decide to replace all 4, my recommendation Would be to get take-offs from an ACR. Light, strong, and about the best deal on wheels for our cars are take off stockers as aftermarket can get pricey, fast. Plus I think all Viper wheels look good on all vipers.

Good luck!

stryfe
03-25-2014, 02:22 PM
I try to be careful but one of the roads I have to drive on has been really bad with new dangers lately. It looks like they have finally patched the existing ones, though. A local member has some wheels I am looking to pick up in the next couple of days so I think I will be good for now. I am still going to see if I can get a center for my broken wheel as I would like to have a track set again.

Dude I feel ya. There are certain roads I simply avoid for that reason. Also, if I ever come up on a section I didn't know was under construction or whatever, I just crawl through it, knowing I am pissing off those behind me, and hope I do enough good things the rest of the time to even out my karma for slowing everyone down. I have the 10 spoke stockers which are stupid heavy but pretty damn strong as I understand it. Our roads make me scared to change em.

Also, you said you drove around like that for weeks. Isn't it possible that it was a micro fracture that was fatiguing and then fully cracked when you pulled into your driveway the last time? I.E. there was nothing to notice until just recently? Looks like you are on your way to getting them fixed. Let me know what you end up doing. If you decide to replace all 4, my recommendation Would be to get take-offs from an ACR. Light, strong, and about the best deal on wheels for our cars are take off stockers as aftermarket can get pricey, fast. Plus I think all Viper wheels look good on all vipers.

Good luck!

stryfe
03-31-2014, 10:33 AM

Thanks to Jim for helping me out with these!

stryfe
04-03-2014, 10:31 AM
All better!

Scott Mannny
04-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Looks good!!! Now be careful!!!

LeadfootRT10
04-03-2014, 07:18 PM
All better!

OOOOO very nice. Hope you put new tires on though, the old ones look pretty.....sticky!

stryfe
04-03-2014, 10:54 PM
haha, yeah. those were old tires on to keep the rims safe.

OOOOO very nice. Hope you put new tires on though, the old ones look pretty.....sticky!

Vprbite
04-04-2014, 03:21 AM
Very nice stryfe. I think I like em more than the previous ones. I think they really look great on the ACR. Now just gotta watch out for whichever of our roads becomes an obstacle course next.