PDA

View Full Version : Front bumper is taking a beating

lane_viper
11-16-2020, 03:30 PM
So the front bumper of my 96 is taking a beating.

Rock chips galore and twice the paint has cracked due to minor scrapes to curbs.

My question is, what are you guys using to protect the front bumper. The paint seems super fragile.

I've looked into 3m clear bra's but the curves seem tough to match.

I wondered if clear bed liner would work as a clear protector.

Just really looking for ideas.

And please, more help than "don't drive it" or "don't hit stuff." I take curbs and driveways at angles and still get scrapes.

Fatboy 18
11-16-2020, 05:42 PM
Is your car on stock tire sizes and suspension or is it lowered?

dave6666
11-16-2020, 05:52 PM
Has it ever been resprayed before? If not, you are aware it's a 25 year old car that sits 4" off the ground and does 180mph? I think your solution then is to realize it will need refinishing periodically.

Robertk
11-16-2020, 07:28 PM
I second Dave's question about the repaint, if it's chipping that easy sounds like it may have been repainted as the factory paint is pretty tough with typical driving... also you said "paint is cracked" the factory paint doesn't "crack" unless the substrate (bumper) is cracked and you wouldn't be worried about the paint at that point.
If it's been repainted and the paint is chipping and cracking it will need to be stripped and painted and not just repainted or it will just do it again.

ICPREY
11-16-2020, 09:32 PM
They do make the leather bras if you can stand the look of them. I did purchase one, but could never bring myself to install it.

My98RT10
11-17-2020, 12:04 AM
They do make the leather bras if you can stand the look of them. I did purchase one, but could never bring myself to install it.

If you are referring to the Mopar bra I think it is vinyl, not genuine leather...

capevettes
11-17-2020, 05:44 AM
I have all of my cars wrapped with Expel Ultra on the nose. It provides excellent protection. I drive alot, so this gives you piece of mind. You will likely have to re-paint yours and then have the Expel applied after the paint cures. This new Expel is barely detectable visually.

lane_viper
11-17-2020, 08:27 AM
I second Dave's question about the repaint, if it's chipping that easy sounds like it may have been repainted as the factory paint is pretty tough with typical driving... also you said "paint is cracked" the factory paint doesn't "crack" unless the substrate (bumper) is cracked and you wouldn't be worried about the paint at that point.
If it's been repainted and the paint is chipping and cracking it will need to be stripped and painted and not just repainted or it will just do it again.

Sounds like this is the issue, although the first paint cracking happened before I had the bottom half repainted. Repaint is only about a year old. It seems the paint just isnt' sticking well to the bumper.

I was hoping there was some sort of Diamond coat or something that I can apply to strengthen the front bumper paint.

Car is stock height and stock tires.

99RT10
11-17-2020, 09:09 AM
I have a Mopar bra. $100 shipped and its yours. Just send me your address and I will get it out to you today

river rat
11-17-2020, 09:42 AM
Sounds like this is the issue, although the first paint cracking happened before I had the bottom half repainted. Repaint is only about a year old. It seems the paint just isnt' sticking well to the bumper.

I was hoping there was some sort of Diamond coat or something that I can apply to strengthen the front bumper paint.

Car is stock height and stock tires.

They probably didn't add any flex agent to the paint.

GTS Dean
11-17-2020, 02:23 PM
^This is most likely the answer!^