PDA

View Full Version : Rad has a slight leak. Any recommendations?

slitherv10
03-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Noticed a slight leak before I put her away for hibernation. Going to get it out and see where the leak is. If I need to get a new rad, anyone know of a good alternative other than an 800 dollar stealership one?

Bugman Jeff
03-22-2014, 12:50 AM
IMO, OEM is the way to go if you need to replace it. In looking for a replacement for mine, all the aftermarket rads for our cars I've read about are very hit or miss. Some guys love'em and have had great experiences, some have nothing but trouble ranging from fit issues to multiple/recurring leaks.

MADMAX
03-22-2014, 02:44 AM
There are numerous good aftermarket options available for around $600 - take a look through the club sponsors page.
I fitted a triple pass rad from Sean Roe to my 96GTS a few years ago with excellent cooling improvement.

plumcrazy
03-22-2014, 05:16 AM
stick with oem or have yours re done

Rand1993
03-22-2014, 07:06 AM
A good radiator shop can rebuild your OEM for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Some tell me rebuilt is better than new because of the lower quality construction of new radiators.

I had mine rebuilt two years ago. No problems to date.

slitherv10
03-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Hmm..seems like I will go with the best option first and have it inspected by a rad shop to see if it can be fixed. If not, maybe OEM is the safest option. Maybe not the best, but safest.

Sybil TF
03-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Hmm..seems like I will go with the best option first and have it inspected by a rad shop to see if it can be fixed. If not, maybe OEM is the safest option. Maybe not the best, but safest.
Sure is hard to find a radiator shop these days. Almost all around here are gone.

Ron
03-23-2014, 10:38 PM
When I last checked OEM was NLA. Local rad shop repaired mine and still going strong. Bought an X2 OEM copy as backup but had some fitment issues, which rad shop fixed.

C.J
03-24-2014, 07:01 AM
gutterworks129 had his OEM repaired by a local shop and they did a fantastic job. Works great, and he's had zero problems with it.

slitherv10
03-24-2014, 07:25 AM
How about those triple pass ones everyone is saying. Is it that much better than OEM or is it just a marketing thing?

Indy
03-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Ask yourself: What would McGyver do? :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkPqgWRCMHE

slitherv10
03-26-2014, 10:43 PM
Well the latest news is that rad shops cannot fix aluminum rads or plastic rads. That would mean I would have to get a new one no? What sort of rad does a 1996 GTS have? Is it rebuildable?

Rand1993
03-26-2014, 11:04 PM
I don't know what metal was used for 1996 gets, but a radiator shop in Portland, OR rebuilt the radiator in my 1993 RT/10 and it works great.

slitherv10
03-26-2014, 11:25 PM
I don't know what metal was used for 1996 gets, but a radiator shop in Portland, OR rebuilt the radiator in my 1993 RT/10 and it works great.

Got to find out what the 96 is made of as I would hate to have to fork out 800 for a new rad for just a small leak which has not been giving me any problems or noticed any drops under the car(that is how small the leak is) but I would hate if it got bigger and left me on the side of the road on a long cruise. Plus I am removing the front fascia to have it touched up and 3m clear rapped. So this would be the time to do it.

AZTVR
03-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Got to find out what the 96 is made of

Its just a standard, traditional American car radiator. My radiator shop had no problem fixing a leak in mine.

slitherv10
03-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Its just a standard, traditional American car radiator. My radiator shop had no problem fixing a leak in mine.

Well I hope that is the case as I would hate to replace it for such a small leak that could be fixed. I will find out as soon as I take her out and hand it over to the radiator shop.

Bugman Jeff
03-27-2014, 10:38 AM
IIRC, it's a standard brass radiator, so any rad shop should be able to re-core it. If it's just a small leak, put some Alumaseal in it. The powdered kind works better than the liquid. I've plugged many a dripping radiator with it over the years, with zero failures down the road, and no plugged heater cores.

slitherv10
03-27-2014, 11:55 AM
IIRC, it's a standard brass radiator, so any rad shop should be able to re-core it. If it's just a small leak, put some Alumaseal in it. The powdered kind works better than the liquid. I've plugged many a dripping radiator with it over the years, with zero failures down the road, and no plugged heater cores.

Never used that Alumaseal stuff or any leak stops for rads. How do you apply them ?

Bugman Jeff
03-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Never used that Alumaseal stuff or any leak stops for rads. How do you apply them ?

Take the radiator cap off when it's cold(DON'T take it off hot), pour the stuff in, go for a drive. On the Viper, you'll have to put it in the coolant expansion tank since the radiator it's self doesn't have a cap. Alumaseal is basically powdered aluminum with some binders in it. The coolant eventually carries it to the leak where the particles build up and plug the hole. Alumaseal is the fastest brand I've used.

I've not said anything for fear of being labeled a two bit hack, but the rad on my '97 was cracked with a slow drip when I got it. I put the Alumaseal in when I got the car in April, it quit dripping within 50 miles, and has was drip free for the 5000 miles I put on it until it went into storage for the winter. I've also used it in many cars with NLA radiators. It's cheap, and it works.

slitherv10
03-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the information Jeff.

The expansion tank is the one on the passenger side not the one inside the bumper correct?

Martyb
03-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Have the oem one rebuilt. Should be about $400, just had mine redone last year.,

Garron
03-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Well I hope that is the case as I would hate to replace it for such a small leak that could be fixed. I will find out as soon as I take her out and hand it over to the radiator shop.

Hey Tom

Your radiator needs the brass tank on the drivers side. If you find a good radiator shop they can repair it. They are very hard to find now. Cheap radiators for China have put all the little radiator shops in our area out of business.

slitherv10
03-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Hey Tom

Your radiator needs the brass tank on the drivers side. If you find a good radiator shop they can repair it. They are very hard to find now. Cheap radiators for China have put all the little radiator shops in our area out of business.

Hey Garrett,

I have found quite a few actually that will repair it. They needed to know if it was plastic or aluminum and I had no idea at that point.

When I bring it in to the shop and remove the bumper I will take it out and send it out to one of them to repair it I guess instead of using the seal. Peace of mind and the bumper is already out so might as well do it right the first time.

I got the Moog ball joints as well and will bring the car to you hopefully Monday if that's ok and or Sunday if you can go in then, Its going to be nice out both those days.

Garron
03-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Hey Garrett,

I have found quite a few actually that will repair it. They needed to know if it was plastic or aluminum and I had no idea at that point.

When I bring it in to the shop and remove the bumper I will take it out and send it out to one of them to repair it I guess instead of using the seal. Peace of mind and the bumper is already out so might as well do it right the first time.

I got the Moog ball joints as well and will bring the car to you hopefully Monday if that's ok and or Sunday if you can go in then, Its going to be nice out both those days.

Sounds like a good idea for the radiator.

I promised to take Christine out Sunday.

slitherv10
03-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Sounds like a good idea for the radiator.

I promised to take Christine out Sunday.

Oh really...shoot sorry to hear that, I hope she doesn't get upset for cancelling.