PDA

View Full Version : Kn drop in air filter for gen 5 viper

Evil v10
09-26-2020, 08:48 AM
Has anyone installed kn drop in air filter in there gen 5 Viper ,any problems with check engine light

Vipes
09-26-2020, 02:00 PM
Has anyone installed kn drop in air filter in there gen 5 Viper ,any problems with check engine light

I installed the K&N drop in and ran it for about 2 years, no check engine light or issues.

01sapphirebob
09-26-2020, 02:05 PM
From what I understand the stock set up is about the best you’re gonna get for the GEN V’s. Dodge/SRT spent a lot of time on the air box for the GEN IV (same as GEN V air box) and I believe in some cases even could the K&N unit to be more restrictive.

Vipes
09-26-2020, 03:05 PM
From what I understand the stock set up is about the best you’re gonna get for the GEN V’s. Dodge/SRT spent a lot of time on the air box for the GEN IV (same as GEN V air box) and I believe in some cases even could the K&N unit to be more restrictive.

What I think you're talking about is changing out the factory air box (which has been tested to actually reduce torque), but we're just talking about a different filter that drops into the factory setup. Factory airbox with K&N drop in filter and a DSE heat shield wrapped in dynamat is the best setup IMO.

Evil v10
09-26-2020, 03:21 PM
Thanks for tips,trying to make filter not so visible

blknblubkrdude
09-27-2020, 09:41 AM
After extensive research it seems that there are actually gains to be had with a less restrictive drop-in filter. I opted to go with a Green Filter for its fitment, media design, and how the edges are much cleaner with less bonding material that "bleeds" into the media.
As long as these reusables aren't over oiled and get cleaned every couple oil changes you should never have a problem.

Evil v10
09-27-2020, 10:52 AM
The concern is will oiled filters affect sensors

Steve M
09-27-2020, 11:35 AM
The concern is will oiled filters affect sensors

If they are over oiled they will. I'm not sure if a properly oiled filter would eventually cause issues, but I'd likely make periodic cleaning of the MAF sensors a regular maintenance item just to be sure.

Evil v10
09-27-2020, 02:34 PM
I would like to hear from owners who are using kn drop in filters to hear their experience on gen 5 Viper

cashcorn
09-27-2020, 02:49 PM
I've had mine almost since day 1. Now, 6+ years later and I drive it hard through the canyons. No problems or codes. Can no longer see the oem filter from the front. The KN is shorter that is why. The KN filter is a superior product in my opinion. I'm probably due for a cleaning and a re-oiling but i'll probably just replacement it. no problems here..