PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure Monitor System Warning

mah48092
08-18-2020, 11:45 AM
According to the tire pressure placard, my 2016 ACR rear tires are supposed to be set to 29 PSI and the front tires are supposed to be set to 35 PSI. I have had the car for almost 2 years and tires have always been set to 29 / 35 with no problems. Drove the car yesterday and the TPMS light came on and message said to inflate left REAR to 35 PSI (which is used for the front tires). I checked the left rear and it was at 29 which is what it should be at cold. I inflated it to 37 PSI and light went out. Lowered the pressure to 29 and the light is back on. Seems like the threshold in the module has somehow been changed. Anyone experience this? Is it an easy fix? And no, putting tape over the light is not a fix.

RT SERPENT
08-18-2020, 12:27 PM
According to the tire pressure placard, my 2016 ACR rear tires are supposed to be set to 29 PSI and the front tires are supposed to be set to 35 PSI. I have had the car for almost 2 years and tires have always been set to 29 / 35 with no problems. Drove the car yesterday and the TPMS light came on and message said to inflate left REAR to 35 PSI (which is used for the front tires). I checked the left rear and it was at 29 which is what it should be at cold. I inflated it to 37 PSI and light went out. Lowered the pressure to 29 and the light is back on. Seems like the threshold in the module has somehow been changed. Anyone experience this? Is it an easy fix? And no, putting tape over the light is not a fix.

Same issue. Anytime I lower the tire pressure below 35 PSI on any tire, the warning light comes on (With the please "inflate to 35PSI" warning.)
As I almost never run 35PSI in the rear, it's pretty much always on. Annoying :(
I've just ignored it.

ViperGeorge
08-18-2020, 02:39 PM
Strange. Never had that problem on my 17 ACR.

Bryan Savage
08-18-2020, 03:21 PM
I've had all mine down as low as 25psig, I'm pretty sure, and never had a light. I only get the light when running tires that don't have sensors in them, or I have just one tire that's significantly lower than the other three.

mah48092
08-18-2020, 03:40 PM
It is strange that this just happened. I'm wondering if the module needs to be reflashed.

Gen5snake
08-18-2020, 04:06 PM
my module will throw a fit every once in a while...it resolves itself though. Now that I spoke about it, it will go nuts again.

ViperGeorge
08-19-2020, 08:03 AM
I've had all mine down as low as 25psig, I'm pretty sure, and never had a light. I only get the light when running tires that don't have sensors in them, or I have just one tire that's significantly lower than the other three.

The tire pressures on a non-ACR are the same front and rear though. On an ACR the fronts are supposed to be set to 35psi. That's a big difference to the rears. If my fronts are set to the same pressure as the rears in my ACR the light is always on.

Loud
08-19-2020, 08:12 AM
Mine just started doing this too. First it was a sensor that died and I replaced it. Now, the light won't go off even at 33 psi. Haven't tried 35, I may do that to test it, but won't be driving at that high psi, so it will be annoying if the system doesn't relearn. There has to be a fix.

BTW, my error code doesn't state what psi to fill it to. Just says 'check tire monitoring system', but gives me pressure reading on all tires.

Steve M
08-19-2020, 09:09 AM
One of two things could be going on here:

1. The system pressure threshold settings are too high
2. The TPMS sensor(s) calibration is a little off

For the latter, I've personally seen where there is a 3-5 psi difference between what a sensor reads on a scan tool and my pressure gauge (some high, some low). I trust my pressure gauge more than the sensor, but the system only knows what the sensor tells it. This is something that you can't control unfortunately, outside of trying another sensor that is hopefully calibrated better.

For #1, this is the question that needs answered: who has the correct tool to change the pressure thresholds within the system? Can a dealer do this, or is this a factory-only type of deal? I can't imagine that it would be, but who the hell knows with FCA.

The systems I've dealt with will generally only turn on once they get about 20% lower than the factory recommended pressure setting. Any more than that, and it becomes a nuisance, which is unfortunate because that's when people start ignoring what could be very valuable information.

Pappy
08-19-2020, 03:53 PM
My 2016 ACR worked normally for 3.5 years. Then, a couple of months ago it started highlighting the rear tire pressures (set at 29 psi) and giving a tire pressure warning light and a "inflate to 35 psi" prompt. I pumped them up to 35 psi just to check, and the light went out. When I lowered the pressures back to 29 psi, the warning came back.

Pappy

mah48092
08-19-2020, 05:33 PM
That is exactly what mine is now doing.

texasram
08-19-2020, 11:44 PM
my module will throw a fit every once in a while...it resolves itself though. Now that I spoke about it, it will go nuts again.
Same here mine comes on and and off as a malfunction like it's a kid begging for attention

uvbnbit
08-20-2020, 05:59 AM
could it be related to Uconnect updates? something glitchy in that?

Loud
08-26-2020, 01:14 PM
FYI, after about 50 miles of driving, the light went away. Didn’t think it would take that long to relearn.

Hootie
08-26-2020, 01:25 PM
It's this an ACR only problem? My tires are all at 29psi per the door placard. I did get a light when one fell to 22psi or so (slow leak, JonB to the rescue with new shoes), but went away within a quarter mile of driving after I inflated it up. I don't recall exactly, but I think the message said to inflate to 29psi, not 35psi. Maybe your TPMS is confusing the front and rear wheels? Sounds like the ACR uses higher pressure up front.

Steve-Indy
08-26-2020, 02:18 PM
Yes...the non-ACR cars are 29 psi at all four corners...and, the Gen V sensor are self programming to the TPS module.