PDA

View Full Version : Booster Seat

Hootie
08-17-2020, 07:48 PM
I have three young kids (3, 5, 7) and Viper rides are always a good time. My problem is their existing booster seats (with and without backs) are too wide at the base and don't fit well in the viper seats. I only go out with the two older kids because they can do just a booster and not a full fledged car seat like the 3y/o. They end up sitting crooked and it's difficult to get the buckles secured. Can anyone recommend a booster seat that has a narrow base that fits in the viper seat? The wider booster seats also put a lot of pressure on the leather and would likely stretch or crease it on longer rides. Thanks!

Steve M
08-17-2020, 07:56 PM
Not a booster, but I've been able to use a Diono Radian RXT in my Gen 4. It's pretty narrow as car seats go, and built like a tank. Width-wise, it fit perfectly.

I'm sure there are other solutions out there.

zee
08-17-2020, 10:26 PM
Does the passenger air bag turn off automatically or can you do it manually? Would love to take my 3.5 year old around town but always 2nd guess it if it’s worth the risk...

Thawk97
08-18-2020, 12:00 AM
It's automatic - there is a weight sensor in the seat.

Redx
08-18-2020, 01:57 AM
Not a booster, but I've been able to use a Diono Radian RXT in my Gen 4. It's pretty narrow as car seats go, and built like a tank. Width-wise, it fit perfectly.

I'm sure there are other solutions out there.

Hows the rear upper tie off strap through the seat work? Im using a cosco one because its narrow and fits the gen 4 seat well, but its a absolute bastard get that rear tie off strap out after its tightened through the seat.

Steve M
08-18-2020, 06:37 AM
Hows the rear upper tie off strap through the seat work? Im using a cosco one because its narrow and fits the gen 4 seat well, but its a absolute bastard get that rear tie off strap out after its tightened through the seat.

I've only done it once, but I don't remember it being ideal. I know I wasn't able to get it nearly as tight as I do in our kid hauler. I also couldn't manually turn off the air bag (guess that option didn't show up until '09), so that was two strikes against it from the beginning.

So yes, while the seat itself fit well, I felt the rest of the install introduced enough risk that I've not done it again.

SRT_BluByU
08-18-2020, 07:16 AM
The maxi-cosi - rodifix i think is what youre looking for

Hootie
08-18-2020, 08:04 AM
Yes the maxi-cosi is three type I had in mind. Do you have one and can confirm it fits the gen v seat properly?

Hootie
08-18-2020, 05:08 PM
Well I went ahead and ordered the maxi-cosi rodifix. Some other website shows that as the narrowest booster with a back, and if that doesn't fit nothing will. Will post back with it's fit once I get it and let everyone know in case someone is looking in the future.

SRT_BluByU
08-18-2020, 07:51 PM
Hootie, i think youll like it. You be the judge on fitment..

TheMadMachinist
08-18-2020, 07:52 PM
What are you doing letting children of that age drive your Viper. Shame on you.lol

Hootie
08-21-2020, 07:33 AM
Got the maxi-cosi. Fits great! Definitely a nice seat as well, my kids want it in the van for their everyday use, but I'm keeping this seat gum/candy free for use just in the Viper. Appreciate the recommendation, it is perfect!

SRT_BluByU
08-21-2020, 08:30 AM
Great - Thought youd like it.. same thing happened with my kids.. we ended up getting a few more for the truck for them. Theyve held up well.

zee
08-21-2020, 11:11 AM
Got the maxi-cosi. Fits great! Definitely a nice seat as well, my kids want it in the van for their everyday use, but I'm keeping this seat gum/candy free for use just in the Viper. Appreciate the recommendation, it is perfect!

my son is only 30 pounds so dont think this will work for me since it says 40+ pounds.

can anyone recommend another that could work?

SRT_BluByU
08-21-2020, 08:45 PM
Under 40 lbs i think you need a true car seat not a full back booster. Not sure there is one that’d fit that i know of.

Steve M
08-22-2020, 07:36 AM
my son is only 30 pounds so dont think this will work for me since it says 40+ pounds.

can anyone recommend another that could work?

Diono Radian RXT.

Pdramarocks
11-02-2022, 06:56 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but the maxi-cosi rodifix has been discontinued. Does anyone have experience with the maxi-cosi rodisport to know if it fits a gen v seat?

Topplayer
11-03-2022, 07:50 AM
I went to buybuy baby and just bought the most narrow seat they had. I forget the name could check when I get home. my 3 and 5 year old girls LOVE being in the viper. Always a blast!

SRT_BluByU
11-03-2022, 10:41 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but the maxi-cosi rodifix has been discontinued. Does anyone have experience with the maxi-cosi rodisport to know if it fits a gen v seat?

maybe call them and ask them how the new base compares to the old?

GTS Dean
11-03-2022, 03:44 PM
Hootie, i think youll like it. You be the judge on fitment..

Good Lord - look at those wings! Put some Red Bull stickers on it!:dude3::drive:

Pdramarocks
11-03-2022, 03:50 PM
maybe call them and ask them how the new base compares to the old? I did call and the phone operator wasn’t much help. She gave overall dimensions but from the pictures it looks like the bottom is shaped differently, so it’s too hard to say whether it will fit the bolsters in the car. I’ve already bought one seat that doesn’t fit the viper so I’m trying to avoid ordering and returning a bunch of seats.