PDA

View Full Version : Gen 5 Buyer Questions

Shalviin
07-19-2020, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone. I used to have a gen 4 SRT-10 which I sold in January, 2020. I am now ready to buy a Gen 5, but I have a few questions about the different trims.
First, the biggest factor is that my budget is under 85k. I figure with tax, etc, I will be getting close to 95k, which is on the extreme end of ‘comfortable’ for my budget.
Second, is the GTS that much better than the SRT? I have seen some forums mention the SRT as if it is equivalent to a Neon in the Gen 5 world (I like neons too, btw). I have a buddy selling his 2013 SRT for 78k. It has 19k miles. Coilovers. And Belanger high flow cats and mufflers. Also has the TA spoiler and front splitter. Comes with warranty until 2023. Also has factory red seats and some other options. Factory sidewinder 2s.
Then I have a 2013 GTS with 5k miles being sold 7 hours away for 88k. Not sure of warranty. Did not ask yet. It is black on black.

This car will not be tracked. It will mostly be a ‘cruiser’ car going to Napa Valley, etc with my wife over the weekends.

Is there anything else I should look out for? My buddy’s car has been tracked a few times but he keeps it in very good shape and I have never seen it leave him stranded. Not sure about the GTS that is being sold by a dealer.

If the difference is not much (and the coilovers make up for the GTS adjustable suspension, somewhat), I would rather save the 10 grand and use it for other mods over time.
Appreciate any help you can provide. Stay safe out there!

SRT_BluByU
07-20-2020, 06:13 AM
sounds like your buddies car fits the bill.. and as a bonus you know the history of the car. no such thing as a low brow Gen V viper.. all of 'em are great. main difference between SRT and GTS is interior trim finishes and suspension (GTS has softer springs but the 5 mode adj suspension). You wont be disappointed with either.. I daily drove a SRT for two years without issue. Great cars!

Leanmass
07-20-2020, 08:19 AM
If your buying cash get the base model. If your financing buy the gts. The gts will be a better cruiser car, more speakers , quieter and smoother and back up camera. You’ll be missing out the more desirable 6 vent hood.

BSLSK
07-20-2020, 08:29 AM
If a cruiser, long-distance car is what you want then I'd get the GTS if I were you. As mentioned above GTS is going to be more luxurious and comfortable. It also has more sound deadening, but even with the more sound deadening high flow cats are a must to cut drone. I was in the similar boat as you last year and ended up with a GTS. I now wish I had gotten the ACR-E or the GTC ACR-E, but obviously the budget would have been much bigger.

Bill Pemberton
07-20-2020, 08:48 AM
Not sure where you buddy is but the one word of caution is whether it will pass emissions with a cat change , especially if anything else was done. Having sold plenty of Vipers in California over the years I know it can be very problematic getting through Emissions Testing and once things are done ( often after a test ), it is a surprise the next time around when things don't pass. Some counties are much stricter than others , so just check with him when it passed last time. If in Nevada or somewhere else keep in mind Cali can be different.

Shalviin
07-20-2020, 10:12 AM
sounds like your buddies car fits the bill.. and as a bonus you know the history of the car. no such thing as a low brow Gen V viper.. all of 'em are great. main difference between SRT and GTS is interior trim finishes and suspension (GTS has softer springs but the 5 mode adj suspension). You wont be disappointed with either.. I daily drove a SRT for two years without issue. Great cars!

Thanks. I also saw one of the members here selling his GTS. But it’s red, and I am not a big fan of that color. Of course, I can always get it wrapped. :)

Shalviin
07-20-2020, 10:14 AM
If your buying cash get the base model. If your financing buy the gts. The gts will be a better cruiser car, more speakers , quieter and smoother and back up camera. You’ll be missing out the more desirable 6 vent hood.

So my buddy’s car has the Harman Kardon option and the backup camera option. So the only difference is probably the ride comfort. I wonder if the adjustable coilovers can make up for some of that. Although it requires taking wheels off instead of just pushing a button. :)

- - - Updated - - -

If a cruiser, long-distance car is what you want then I'd get the GTS if I were you. As mentioned above GTS is going to be more luxurious and comfortable. It also has more sound deadening, but even with the more sound deadening high flow cats are a must to cut drone. I was in the similar boat as you last year and ended up with a GTS. I now wish I had gotten the ACR-E or the GTC ACR-E, but obviously the budget would have been much bigger.

Oh I would love to get a ACR-E. But ramen noodles for dinner every day would get old quick! Lol.

Shalviin
07-20-2020, 10:16 AM
Not sure where you buddy is but the one word of caution is whether it will pass emissions with a cat change , especially if anything else was done. Having sold plenty of Vipers in California over the years I know it can be very problematic getting through Emissions Testing and once things are done ( often after a test ), it is a surprise the next time around when things don't pass. Some counties are much stricter than others , so just check with him when it passed last time. If in Nevada or somewhere else keep in mind Cali can be different.

I am in California, yes. And so is he. He lives less than a mile from me. I will definitely ask about the hi flows. Doesnt it require sill removal to inspect the cats on these cars? The headers are stock.

Bill Pemberton
07-20-2020, 10:25 AM
The issue is how long ago the Emissions Testing was? They just do a plug and play , but agree they would not see the cats, but what else was done and could it cause a code? I am not saying this will be a problem, I am just saying it is something one should do their due diligence on. Over the years we got a lot of phone calls from California asking if folks could do certain things and stay legal there. We didn't have all the answers but we got calls from folks who bought a car that did not pass and wanted to know what to do. You best bet for questions is Dan Cragin at Specialty Performance Team down in the LA area. Believe his number is 626-588-2882.

Shalviin
07-20-2020, 10:27 AM
The issue is how long ago the Emissions Testing was? They just do a plug and play , but agree they would not see the cars, but what else was done and could it cause a code? I am not saying this will be a problem, I am just saying it is something one should do their due diligence on. Over the years we got a lot of phone calls from California asking if folks could do certain things and stay legal there. We didn't have all the answers but we got calls from folks who bought a car that did not pass and wanted to know what to do. You best bet for questions is Dan Cragin at Specialty Performance Team down in the LA area. Believe his number is 626-588-2882.

Appreciate the heads up. I will be sure to ask him, or whomever else I buy from, these very questions.

USAFPILOT
07-23-2020, 01:02 PM
Running around in my GT, I usually prefer the street setting vs Race. Race is really firm and on the Houston highways is just way too rough. I'm not sure how an SRT would ride, since I've never been in one. I didn't know they had firmer springs. I have the TA aero on my GT as well, and on some decent bumps at speed I will hear the front splitter touch the road, but not if in race mode. So its a good compromise I guess to have the dual mode suspension. Personally, I've been dreaming of adding the tractive setup from Viper Exchange. Its pricey, but adding that to a SRT would be the way to go. They can even get you the dash buttons for it if you want.

ACR-ISH
07-23-2020, 04:18 PM
Appreciate the heads up. I will be sure to ask him, or whomever else I buy from, these very questions.

If it's not throwing codes emissions shouldn't be an issue, they don't look because the cat is under the car between the sill and frame. It IS visible if you look REALLY hard... but I've smogged my Gen5 twice now and they plug in, pass, and send me on my way. If it has hi flow cats just have him install or provide the OEMs, they are an easy half day swap, if that, should you be concerned.

The GTS has better ride quality, marginally. If his suspension is adjustable (probably has BCs) then you can lower the dampening and it will ride fine. My wife is 7 months pregnant and rides in my Viper on almost full hard at least once a week... only complaints are being helped in and out.

I agree, I would save the 10gs and the hood on the GTS is much less exciting than the 6 vent! Let us know what you decide and ... welcome back to the family! Be sure to join this region, we are in the process of finalizing several CA Compliant Drive and Dines for the rest of this year!

I have REALLY ENJOYED customizing my Base Model Neon-ish SRT. :) Some before n after for ya!

Shalviin
07-23-2020, 10:21 PM
Running around in my GT, I usually prefer the street setting vs Race. Race is really firm and on the Houston highways is just way too rough. I'm not sure how an SRT would ride, since I've never been in one. I didn't know they had firmer springs. I have the TA aero on my GT as well, and on some decent bumps at speed I will hear the front splitter touch the road, but not if in race mode. So its a good compromise I guess to have the dual mode suspension. Personally, I've been dreaming of adding the tractive setup from Viper Exchange. Its pricey, but adding that to a SRT would be the way to go. They can even get you the dash buttons for it if you want.

Thank you. I bet regardless of what I choose, the ride will definitely be better than my gen 4 (sold) with stock springs, etc. So a gen 5 will definitely be an upgrade.

Shalviin
07-23-2020, 10:23 PM
If it's not throwing codes emissions shouldn't be an issue, they don't look because the cat is under the car between the sill and frame. It IS visible if you look REALLY hard... but I've smogged my Gen5 twice now and they plug in, pass, and send me on my way. If it has hi flow cats just have him install or provide the OEMs, they are an easy half day swap, if that, should you be concerned.

The GTS has better ride quality, marginally. If his suspension is adjustable (probably has BCs) then you can lower the dampening and it will ride fine. My wife is 7 months pregnant and rides in my Viper on almost full hard at least once a week... only complaints are being helped in and out.

I agree, I would save the 10gs and the hood on the GTS is much less exciting than the 6 vent! Let us know what you decide and ... welcome back to the family! Be sure to join this region, we are in the process of finalizing several CA Compliant Drive and Dines for the rest of this year!

I have REALLY ENJOYED customizing my Base Model Neon-ish SRT. :) Some before n after for ya!

Lol @ “neon’ish”. I seen your car on my IG pages man. Looks very nice! I am hoping I get to join your club soon. :)

Gen5snake
07-24-2020, 01:24 PM
My base SRT is pretty damn comfortable. The suspension is perfect...not annoying at all. You can always add speakers to the existing system for only a couple hundred bucks. I like the 6th gear better in the SRT than the GTS...it's more usable...less of an overdrive...my opinion a better hood and the SRT is the lightest version.

Matt Dillon
07-24-2020, 09:06 PM

I Agree 100% percent, though I could be Biased! :) I HAD to have the 6 vent hood & also the carbon fiber TA spoiler & front splitter, it's All about personal preference! GL

bullitt2735
07-24-2020, 09:18 PM
Just take your time searching and wait for the right car. I picked up a loaded 13 gts with 7k miles for under 80 last july

Matt Dillon
07-24-2020, 09:20 PM

Not only this Bill but wouldn't those Mods possibly cancel the warranty, I've been told I couldn't even get a tune without it voiding the warranty, A TUNE! SMH

StrokerAce
07-25-2020, 10:05 AM
A bad tune can destroy an engine relatively quickly. You can't just close the laptop, yell "shut up" to it and all will be well. :drive:

Caldermw
07-27-2020, 08:49 AM
My 2013 SRT has served me very well over the years and my advice is buy whichever car has a look at that appeals to your eye most. If you are searching for a car with a cushy ride and quiet interior, with all due respect, I do not think a Viper is right for you whether it says "GTS" on the side or not.