PDA

View Full Version : How badly was I ripped off

webby
07-13-2020, 01:24 PM
Recently had 2 major issues with my Gen 4 ACR. Trans was grinding when going into reverse, and really horrible lifter tick. I had tried fresh oil and Seafoam which didn't help at all so I knew something was f**ked with the lifter.

Local shop charged me (hourly rate of $145 - I don't mind spending money on quality labor, but I'm concerned that the # of hours involved is way more than it should have been):

Transmission:
$650 - 4.5 hours - "remove trans to send out to be rebuilt"
I was told by several people that the transmission should only take ~2 hours to be removed.

Engine:
$750 - 5.2 hours - "complete tear down of customer's engine"
When I got there, the engine was not even removed from the car (it was in pieces though - but wouldn't a "tear down" be easier if the engine is removed first?). Also, with the extremely loud lifter tick, why was a tear down even necessary? They should've immediately seen that the one lifter had fallen apart (see attachments). Why did they need to spend 5 hours doing this? I asked if the engine needed to be replaced or could be rebuilt and he couldn't answer me. So apparently the full 5 hours was spent simply identifying a bad lifter

Engine quote:
$2800 - 19.3 hours - "Install customer's complete engine, replace all customer's components, replace engine oil and filter, coolant"
I didn't go through with this, because I ended up buying a new engine from an awesome member on here who towed my car free of charge and installed it for me for less than 1/2 the labor cost

When I had decided to replace the engine, he offered me $1,000 for the old one. Ok sure - that's just sales, I needed to do my due diligence and counter offer. But come on, $1,000??

I've emailed and called the guy a few times asking for a detailed breakdown of what was involved with the labor, and he keeps promising to send it but doesn't.

So... was I ripped off? Or is it possible that the amount of labor involved was valid.

From all of my conversations with this guy I get the impression that he a) doesn't respect me because I obviously don't have much mechanical knowledge and b) is all too happy to take advantage of me for that reason.

Loud
07-13-2020, 02:02 PM
D@mn, Andrew, sorry to hear man. Which shop is that? Did you go back to a stock engine?

I would never take it anyone but Bill Sampognaro [Flossmoor Auto], including when the car broke down in MI and I had it shipped to IL.

Good luck man.

A

bluesrt
07-13-2020, 02:11 PM
3.3 hrs to r/i transmission by book time, thats how shops charge evan if it takes 30 minutes
engine to r/i and transfer all components from old engine to new engine 22.0 hrs

Mbccenter
07-13-2020, 02:14 PM
Gridding going into reverse could also be a clutch.. Just FYI Don't see to many failed lifters.. Let me know what you want for the engine.

Snake3yez
07-16-2020, 01:01 PM
This has been the biggest problem I've had with owning my Viper. I absolutely love this car, love driving it (when it runs), but the lack of shops in my area, the lack of quality really makes it a very painful experience. I had an engine failure shortly after I got the car. I have the paxton kit just running stock boost and exhaust. I sent the car to a local shop here called ARD. It took me 4 months of back and forth, I just wanted a simple build of a stronger bottom end since we had to get a new block. It was excuse after excuse, they charged me to tear down two engines, but I finally got the car back. It ran for about 3,000 miles and now its ticking, seems like a lifter, so it may not have anything to do with what ARD did, or it may, not sure as we are waiting. However, just the process of constant texts, calls, just trying to get my car back. 4 freaking months! 20k later and the car is down again. I've called several shops, the few that exists, and nobody calls back. it has been extremely disappointing to say the least. I spoke to the guys at Allpar as they were recommended by a Viper owner. I'm hoping they are good legit people. I don't mind paying for quality service, but at this point I think I'm going to sell the car after I get it back. Sorry to hear about your experience, I feel the pain. I'd love to work on my own car, but I just don't know enough and would hate to do even more damage.

Fatboy 18
07-17-2020, 12:05 PM
Sounds to me like you got ripped off big time.

I find it sad that that you had to post this AFTER taking car to your chosen mechanic.

If you had posted up your problems Prior to taking to be worked on you may have saved yourself a fortune.

Reading your post it sounds like the guy still has your engine? Why? Have you given him the engine as some kind of payment to offset your costs?

Had you been a Club member and asked for help you may have got knowledgeable local members to point you in the right direction and perhaps they may have even offered to help you with the car.

That's what a few of us do in the UK. ;)

webby
07-17-2020, 12:25 PM
D@mn, Andrew, sorry to hear man. Which shop is that? Did you go back to a stock engine?

I would never take it anyone but Bill Sampognaro [Flossmoor Auto], including when the car broke down in MI and I had it shipped to IL.

Good luck man.

A

Thanks Anil... unfortunately that is who I took it to

Even if he was "going by the book" for the transmission & engine install quotes,
The fact that he offered $1k for my engine and thought I would just accept that like a chump...
The $750 in labor for a mysterious "tear down" to identify the source of lifter tick... shockingly, it was one of the lifters...

Those 2 rub me the wrong way. Never going back there again
Maybe your experience was different since you know more about mechanics and he knew he couldn't take advantage

The good news is the car is running thanks to member "Back in Black". I have all my old after market parts still except we put the factory clutch back in

webby
07-17-2020, 12:28 PM
3.3 hrs to r/i transmission by book time, thats how shops charge evan if it takes 30 minutes
engine to r/i and transfer all components from old engine to new engine 22.0 hrs

Useful info, thanks

Gridding going into reverse could also be a clutch.. Just FYI Don't see to many failed lifters.. Let me know what you want for the engine.

Yep I'm one of the lucky ones with that lifter. :(
I'm keeping both engines for now, might have the old one rebuilt some day so I can go back to matching numbers

Reading your post it sounds like the guy still has your engine? Why? Have you given him the engine as some kind of payment to offset your costs?

Had you been a Club member and asked for help you may have got knowledgeable local members to point you in the right direction and perhaps they may have even offered to help you with the car.

No definitely not. After the transmission & tear down costs I got my car and engine the hell out of there.
Yes I ended up being helped out by a member... meeting him was definitely the best thing to come out of all of this. Helped me with a lot of stuff besides just putting the new engine back in. I was a member a long time ago but lost interest in the meets but yeah.. probably would've helped and I should rejoin.

TP_ GTS
07-17-2020, 12:50 PM
Sorry to hear this.

Take a look at this thread if you have not done so already. May give you some ideas as to what to do next. More importantly the resources available for a rebuild. Not necessarily in the manner on the thread but you will see. Start at page 27 post#662.

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/17493-The-Chronicles-of-SneakySnake-Vol-III/page27

Good luck