PDA

View Full Version : Autoblog 2014 Viper GTS review

SWEEN
03-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Nice read, and these photos really show how good the Gen V looks.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/17/2014-srt-viper-gts-review/

Space Truckin
03-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Love these lines
"It's A Viper. It Should Scare Some People."
"Brutal" is the best way to describe the V10's demeanor"

Do we expect anything different? :drive:

KRATEDISEASE
03-17-2014, 09:15 PM
States that the new stingray and Z06 "have it beat "

VENOM V
03-17-2014, 09:36 PM
States that the new stingray and Z06 "have it beat "

Seriously Krate, you believe everything that you read with scrutinizing it? By what criteria is it beat? "Sports car dynamics" is pretty vague. The GT-R has everything "beat" if the measure is easy to drive, which he implies. It's also boring as hell, I know a number of people who have sold theirs for that very reason.

My measure is track records. The Viper, either Gen IV or Gen V, owns the track record at EVERY track I've driven. That's my measure of sports car dynamics.

Additionally, there's no way a standard Stingray has the Viper "beat." And the author hasn't driven a Z06, has he? I expect the Z06 to be a formiddable competitor, but let's not jump to conclusions here.

It was written and published on the internet, it must be fact, LOL

KRATEDISEASE
03-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Just wanted to see how long before I got a rise out of someone. Took 21 mins. Thank you. That's all, nothing more.

Happy St Patricks Day. OMG you should see all the drunks out partying on a Monday here in NYCity .

You own a great car. No need to defend it ( or attack me )

I love you guys !!!!

VENOM V
03-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Just wanted to see how long before I got a rise out of someone. Took 21 mins. Thank you. That's all, nothing more.

Happy St Patricks Day. OMG you should see all the drunks out partying on a Monday here in NYCity .

I love you guys !!!!

LOL, I enjoy a little friendly banter myself. Krate, how can I attack you when you always make me laugh?

The car I will always defend because it is a remarkable car.

KRATEDISEASE
03-18-2014, 05:52 AM
The reviews are becoming more civil and objective. The autoblog review is actually good.

Same car, yet a totally different perspective as opposed to the initial reviews. Amazing.

Like the girl that you meet for the first time, look at and say "fugly" then one year later you are dating her.

ACRucrazy
03-18-2014, 10:27 AM
There SRT goes again... Giving out $140k examples to magazines.
They keep shooting themselves in the foot. Read the comments. Everyone thinks a new Viper costs $140k or has a base price of $124k.
Really sick of this crap. The SRT is the bargain. They should be putting those in the magazines. Seriously.

ViperSmith
03-18-2014, 10:30 AM

I love you guys !!!!

Stop trolling.

- - - Updated - - -

There SRT goes again... Giving out $140k examples to magazines.
They keep shooting themselves in the foot. Read the comments. Everyone thinks a new Viper costs $140k or has a base price of $124k.
Really sick of this crap. The SRT is the bargain. They should be putting those in the magazines. Seriously.

Agree. Throw a base car with just aero out there and let people see how great it is for not "much" money.

ACRucrazy
03-18-2014, 10:37 AM
It all comes down to the different "models" crap. If there was a "GTS option" then this wouldnt be a problem. Every article would state the base price is $99k or $101k etc. Perception is reality. And the perception right now is the Viper is twice the price of the Corvette.
So many things about the Gen V piss me off. Here I go getting worked up again. LOL

ViperSmith
03-18-2014, 10:47 AM
It all comes down to the different "models" crap. If there was a "GTS option" then this wouldnt be a problem. Every article would state the base price is $99k or $101k etc. Perception is reality. And the perception right now is the Viper is twice the price of the Corvette.
So many things about the Gen V piss me off. Here I go getting worked up again. LOL

I do really wonder if the GT package will replace the GTS. Is basically gives you most of the goodies the GTS has, you can add on everything else.

I'd be curious to see if the SRT or GTS branding disappears for 2015 and we are left with one model, and just packages.

Because I do agree with you.

KRATEDISEASE
03-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Stop trolling.

Develop a sense of humor.

Ignore my posts

Leave me alone

If you want to start a debate with me , meet you over at the VCA. This forum is too good a place the place for any negativity.

Policy Limits
03-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Agree base SRT and build from there as others have mentioned. That way you can spend 95k or 140k based on options sorta like a Porsche.

Also agree that the reviews are more civil. Last year at this time some of the posts on the web were so critical that they bordered on vicious and malicious; and lots were from Viper guys! I like the current mood & atmosphere much better.

GT car sounds like a promising response to the 15 Z06. Save the ACR for the C7 ZR1 perhaps

ACRucrazy
03-18-2014, 10:13 PM
The Gen V is such a great car. We the fans get the pricing structure. We get the car. It's the non-owners that these magazine reviews need to appeal to however if SRT wants to move car. Sure you can't please everyone, I get that. Some get that. But if all of these reviews came out showing a car with a sticker of $110k or less I believe that could change some of the tone of the feedback in the comments section and maybe create some more positive press.

I mean, a $110k Viper is going to perform almost identical to a cozy plush $140k+ Viper. The article was great. The feedback is the same as usual. (The Viper is 2x the price of the Corvette etc etc) It's slippery slope. The articles have improved greatly from last year. That is obvious to us who have been following along. Yet a lot of the comments around pricing still stand. And that can suck us into also (guilty as charged)

I just can't wait for the ACR to come out damn it LOL

Michael Harley
03-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Seriously Krate, you believe everything that you read with scrutinizing it? By what criteria is it beat? "Sports car dynamics" is pretty vague. The GT-R has everything "beat" if the measure is easy to drive, which he implies. It's also boring as hell, I know a number of people who have sold theirs for that very reason.

My measure is track records. The Viper, either Gen IV or Gen V, owns the track record at EVERY track I've driven. That's my measure of sports car dynamics.

Additionally, there's no way a standard Stingray has the Viper "beat." And the author hasn't driven a Z06, has he? I expect the Z06 to be a formiddable competitor, but let's not jump to conclusions here.

It was written and published on the internet, it must be fact, LOL

Nobody outside GM has driven a C7 Z06 (expect that to happen in later summer). But, I have spent plenty of time in all versions of the C6 (including the ZR1) and all versions of the new C7.

The Corvette is a better sports car for the masses (aka public consumption), as it is much easier for the inexperienced to drive fast. Your 16-year-old daughter could turn hot laps in a C7 6AT, and your pulse wouldn't rise a beat. Put her in a Viper 6MT, and she'd need more than a bit of coaching. I'm a car guy, so I lean towards the Viper (but that isn't what is in my garage). Of course, this is my subjective opinion — of which I am entitled as I penned the story.

Keep in mind my next paragraph, which is also my opinion:

"Yet that shouldn't ruffle the feathers of SRT loyalists, as the Viper delivers much more than the Corvette in terms of driving captivation and emotional gratification – the two most tangible reasons why owners enjoy their sports cars. This V10-powered coupe is more refined than its predecessor, but its engineers have left its challenging nature and rawness mercifully intact. It rewards talent, and it rightfully scares the hell out of novices. Uncommon on the road compared to the Chevy, this strident SRT also enjoys a curious stage presence and rolls with double the cachet."

Not everything you read on the Internet is hogwash.

- Mike

Michael Harley
03-18-2014, 11:27 PM
The reviews are becoming more civil and objective. The autoblog review is actually good.

Same car, yet a totally different perspective as opposed to the initial reviews. Amazing.

Like the girl that you meet for the first time, look at and say "fugly" then one year later you are dating her.

Thanks.

Ralph actually invited me to the Proving Grounds to drive a mule of the Gen V almost two years ago, then I drove the production model at its launch at Sonoma Raceway in November of 2012. This time, SRT gave me the GTS model for a full week at home.

Each time I have grown more fond of the Viper — it was hard to hand back the key most recently.

- Mike

ViperSmith
03-18-2014, 11:30 PM
Mike, good write up.

V1PERMAN
03-18-2014, 11:50 PM
Nobody outside GM has driven a C7 Z06 (expect that to happen in later summer). But, I have spent plenty of time in all versions of the C6 (including the ZR1) and all versions of the new C7.

The Corvette is a better sports car for the masses (aka public consumption), as it is much easier for the inexperienced to drive fast. Your 16-year-old daughter could turn hot laps in a C7 6AT, and your pulse wouldn't rise a beat. Put her in a Viper 6MT, and she'd need more than a bit of coaching. I'm a car guy, so I lean towards the Viper (but that isn't what is in my garage). Of course, this is my subjective opinion — of which I am entitled as I penned the story.

"Yet that shouldn't ruffle the feathers of SRT loyalists, as the Viper delivers much more than the Corvette in terms of driving captivation and emotional gratification – the two most tangible reasons why owners enjoy their sports cars. This V10-powered coupe is more refined than its predecessor, but its engineers have left its challenging nature and rawness mercifully intact. It rewards talent, and it rightfully scares the hell out of novices. Uncommon on the road compared to the Chevy, this strident SRT also enjoys a curious stage presence and rolls with double the cachet."

- Mike

Excellent post Mike, As the owner of both a 2014 Viper TA and a 2014 Z51 Vette I couldn't agree more. The Vette just works while the Viper takes work. Being able to master the Viper is very rewarding as well as the exclusivity of owning one. The Gen V is definitely the best Viper built to date.
Both great cars in their own special way.

Dave

VENOM V
03-19-2014, 12:59 AM

- Mike

Mike,

I should clarify that I took issue with the statement that Krate took out of context, to get a rise out of his fellow forum members. Something he tries to do often and clearly succeeds, LOL. I thought your article was well written and fair.

I agree with your assessment that the Corvette is a better sports car for the masses. I too have spent much track time in all of the C6s and had a brief drive of a C7 Z51 around the track, and would describe them the way you have above. However I do not agree that the C7 has the Viper beat in terms of objective sports car dynamics. Yes, the C7 is the easier car to approach limits in, I would say that it is more stable at the limits than the Viper. Does that make it superior? Not in my book. That makes it easier for novice drivers to drive hard. I'd say an objective measure is lap times. At Laguna Seca, Viper TA 1:33.62. C7 Z51 1:38.28. Pretty big gap. Both driven by Randy Pobst. I fully expect the C7 Z06 to give the Viper a run for it's money, and be easier to drive at it's limits than the Viper. The Corvette is better for the masses, the Viper is better for a select few hardcore enthusiasts that prefer a more engaging experience.

And although I may not have agreed with the way you worded that portion of your article, I agree in spirit with your review as a whole. Hats off to you for writing a quality, entertaining review of the Viper.

Michael Harley
03-19-2014, 10:02 AM
Mike,

I should clarify that I took issue with the statement that Krate took out of context, to get a rise out of his fellow forum members. Something he tries to do often and clearly succeeds, LOL. I thought your article was well written and fair.

I agree with your assessment that the Corvette is a better sports car for the masses. I too have spent much track time in all of the C6s and had a brief drive of a C7 Z51 around the track, and would describe them the way you have above. However I do not agree that the C7 has the Viper beat in terms of objective sports car dynamics. Yes, the C7 is the easier car to approach limits in, I would say that it is more stable at the limits than the Viper. Does that make it superior? Not in my book. That makes it easier for novice drivers to drive hard. I'd say an objective measure is lap times. At Laguna Seca, Viper TA 1:33.62. C7 Z51 1:38.28. Pretty big gap. Both driven by Randy Pobst. I fully expect the C7 Z06 to give the Viper a run for it's money, and be easier to drive at it's limits than the Viper. The Corvette is better for the masses, the Viper is better for a select few hardcore enthusiasts that prefer a more engaging experience.

And although I may not have agreed with the way you worded that portion of your article, I agree in spirit with your review as a whole. Hats off to you for writing a quality, entertaining review of the Viper.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Another thing that I failed to mention in my story (space limited) was the interior quality of the SRT, which has jumped ahead significantly. I still notice a lot of cost-cutting in the C7, just so Chevy can sell the $50,000 version. I've driven just about every car on the market, regardless of price, and the Viper is on my short list.

I noticed that you have a 2013 Camaro SS 1LE in your signature. I just returned from a full day of lapping the new 2014 Camaro Z/28 at Barber Motorsports Park. An embargo prevents me from talking subjectively about it until Monday (my story, and a long track video, will be published at noon that day), but that's a car that will raise a few eyebrows when enthusiasts get it on the track.

Cheers!

- Mike

ACRucrazy
03-19-2014, 10:11 AM
I just returned from a full day of lapping the new 2014 Camaro Z/28 at Barber Motorsports Park. An embargo prevents me from talking subjectively about it until Monday (my story, and a long track video, will be published at noon that day), but that's a car that will raise a few eyebrows when enthusiasts get it on the track.

Cheers!

- Mike

I can't wait to hear about it, love that car!

Chorps
03-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the write up on AB and welcome to the VOA, Michael.

I thought your assessment was pretty spot on.

VENOM V
03-19-2014, 12:42 PM

Another thing that I failed to mention in my story (space limited) was the interior quality of the SRT, which has jumped ahead significantly. I still notice a lot of cost-cutting in the C7, just so Chevy can sell the $50,000 version. I've driven just about every car on the market, regardless of price, and the Viper is on my short list.

I noticed that you have a 2013 Camaro SS 1LE in your signature. I just returned from a full day of lapping the new 2014 Camaro Z/28 at Barber Motorsports Park. An embargo prevents me from talking subjectively about it until Monday (my story, and a long track video, will be published at noon that day), but that's a car that will raise a few eyebrows when enthusiasts get it on the track.

Cheers!

- Mike

Really looking forward to your Z28 write up, that's quite a machine. I'm most curious about how fast around a road course it is in comparison to a C7 Z51. If it can't beat a Z51, then it's priced too high. That's my only gripe with the Z, that and it's limited production will make it more of a collector car than an all-business track car for track rats like me.

I'm impressed that you took the time to respond, that shows passion in your work. I will be following your reviews.

Michael Harley
03-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Really looking forward to your Z28 write up, that's quite a machine. I'm most curious about how fast around a road course it is in comparison to a C7 Z51. If it can't beat a Z51, then it's priced too high. That's my only gripe with the Z, that and it's limited production will make it more of a collector car than an all-business track car for track rats like me.

I'm impressed that you took the time to respond, that shows passion in your work. I will be following your reviews.

It is well worth looking forward to. :cool:

I am very passionate about my work, and I strive to be accurate in my stories with regards to the vehicle's history, technology, powerplant and equipment (it is incredibly difficult to become an "expert" on a new vehicle when I drive nearly a hundred different cars every year). The details are a killer (I just published a story this morning about the 2014 Kia Cadenza sedan, and I am taking hell from readers because I didn't know that Kia added ventilated passenger seats in later production — yes, really). The best way to double-check my facts is to visit the forums, where the "true owner/experts" hang out, and follow the comments. Believe it or not, I learn a ton about the cars from the owners even after the stories are written.

Cheers!

- Mike

sailquik
03-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Mike-

Huge respect for coming out from behind your "typewriter" and contributing in a forum such as this. The feedback from someone who has driven so many cars is very valuable.

If you don't mind, I have two questions:

First: You say "I lean towards the Viper (but that isn't what is in my garage)"; What IS in your garage?

Second: Money no object, what would be in your garage?

Thanks!

JonB ~ PartsRack
03-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Interesting to note that a thread here about a POSITIVE blog has had 500+ views here in 3+ days.

While the 'sales crater' NEGATIVE blog has had 5000+ views here in a bit less time.

We are proving here what SRT has to overcome in the marketing arena.

Confirming what Psychology Today revealed waaaay back in the 70s: People are 9.5 times more likely to be drawn to the negative story, as well as 9x more likely to complain vs. compliment.

Michael Harley
03-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Mike-

Huge respect for coming out from behind your "typewriter" and contributing in a forum such as this. The feedback from someone who has driven so many cars is very valuable.

If you don't mind, I have two questions:

First: You say "I lean towards the Viper (but that isn't what is in my garage)"; What IS in your garage?

Second: Money no object, what would be in your garage?

Thanks!

My pleasure!

First: I get press cars on a weekly basis, so I don't have a daily driver (today, I have two cars in my driveway: "Prototype Dinan S3-R BMW 1M" and a "2014 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T"). My personal weekend toy in my own garage is a near-mint '86 Porsche 930 (aka "911 Turbo") with a 4-speed manual gearbox that I have owned for 12 years. I have taken it on the track a handful of times, and I do all of my own wrenching. I don't think I will ever sell it.

Second: That's a tough question, as I like a lot of cars. If asked to choose just one, I really like the out-of-production '12 Aston Martin V12 Vantage 6MT. It is far from perfect, but it is sexy to look at, well-mannered in the canyons and it has a 6-speed manual gearbox mated to a smooth-running 6.0-liter V12. People of all walks of life seem to respect the Aston Martin vehicles (unlike driving a Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Bugatti, etc... where you mostly get nasty glares).

One of these days I will put together my own "Top 10" list. Maybe the next time I am sitting on a plane.

- Mike

ACRucrazy
03-21-2014, 03:52 PM
I just scrolled through all 206 comments on the article. These are the ones that stuck out to me. I did not share any that had a bunch of negative ratings as a few chevy trolls were there just to bash the car for all reasons. Almost every comment I have shared here has a positive rating. From these comments, to me, many love the Viper, love the specs, love the improvements. However many still believe the pricing is too high. Many believe the pricing starts at $125k. Several think $5k for stripes is silly (I agree, even though I am sure they look gorgeous)

SRT has moved on from the poor reviews and articles of last years growing pains to some positive press lately. Now what they really need to be doing is hammering home this bargain of a sports car can be had for $100,000. Because at $100k, it IS a bargain!!

And I am in no position to understand (would love to be however) what it takes to build these cars and the pricing structure of it, but I would love to see SRT get down to a base car of $99k or less without all the extras that can kick ass at the track and take no prisoners. Sure.. leave the options there for a fancy Viper with all the leather trimmings. But if SRT can drive home the bargain take no prisoners bad ass that is the VIPER for under 6 figures I have no doubt these would not be sitting on the lots.

The confusion remains. Pricing is too high @ $140k and The Vette is faster.

The only number you need to look at are - SALES. Dealer lots of filled with 2013 Vipers and now 2014 Vipers will sit, why? Because SRT just announced that the 2015 model will be getting a face lift.

The problem with this Viper is simple: it's an evolution, not a revolution. They basically tweaked the old car, gave it new skin, some nicer leather & stereo and tried to steal 911 buyers. Do I love this car? Yes. Is it worth 140k? The market seems to think no.

This thing is Mike Tyson wearing a suit. I don't want it in a suit. I want it with a ripped towel over it's head. SRT should have made it more raw, more wild AND give the owners the chance to modify it...the car is basically dead to the mod community. A shelby GT500 with a tune will pull away from one.

Again, great car. Just not worth 140K for what it is...a brute force machine.

The new Corvette next to this beast looks like a base Yaris.

This is ultimate American Icon. Brilliant.

Once the Z06 arrives Vipers will all but stop selling with their +$40,000 higher price. When the Z06 Vette and Viper were priced close, it was a fun comparison. With the Viper's 'refresh' and price jump there is no rational comparison for the sports car shopper.

Sorry - Not worth $140k I drive exotics everyday - and I love American Muscle cars - deprecation will give you an idea what category it fits in..

The car is drop dead gorgeous, much better looking than the C7 Corvette. It's also mich faster than the C7, FWIW. There's no denying it has more presence as well, and even older Vipers attact more attention than new Corvettes.

It has always been a challenging car to drive, that is part of the appeal. It's like taming a wild stallion as opposed to riding a bicycle.

That said, SRT went wrong by not going all in for their new direction. They softened the car to appeal to more people, but neglected to offer a transmission where you don't have to be able to crush boulders with your left leg to use it. They really needed a great automatic or a DSG as an option. I expect that to be a big part of the refresh.

Until then, I will lust after this car, but would not buy one.

As if I didn't already love this thing enough... Man, the numbers guys truly hate this thing. Perfect. There really aren't too many cars I'd actually sell a testicle for. While the TA is the trim of choice, any would do, really. Simply head-over-heels in love and I'm as giddy as a school girl in anticipation of the inevitable Z06/TA head to head.

The supercar of America.

The ultimate American celebration of machismo. I may come to own one someday, after some other bucket list cars that I aim to get. Late 90s Vipers are already becoming attainable for an enthusiast with a good job to support the surely significant maintenance costs.

May the Viper name never be associated with any form of automated gearbox, ever.

I couldn't care less how much faster the new Stingray is, this Viper is simply everything I want as an enthusiast.

What a magnificent machine!

This has always been my favorite car since I was 8 years old and remember reading about it in car magazines back in 1992. I've made it a goal to get this car before I'm 45.

It's a great car and looks better than the Vette. It's when you have to pay $125,000 (or $140,000 for this one) that is loses out in the real world.

As always, monstrous.

I just drove a 2014 Viper. I was surprised at how easy it was to drive. Not the brute I had been conditioned to expect.

.$5k for stripes? I would get some vinyl stripes professionally installed for less than a grand and save $4k+

These are probably masked and painted on along with the rest of the paint job. Still a hefty markup somewhere in there, but it had better be good.

I saw a 1st-gen GTS with original-looking vinyl stripes. They were beginning to peel, plus they looked horribly faded without the luster of factory paint.

I think the unrefind nature and raw attitue of this car makes me want it over so many other cars in its price range.

$124k? STARTING PRICE!?!?!? I feel like that asking a lot, Chrysler.

Don't get me wrong, this car lives up to the Viper name and everything. It's 100% muscle car and just pure badass..

But $124k?

I'm definitely a fan. The Viper is what it should be, and what's important in this class is differentiation. For $140,000 there are so many ways to go with a vehicle. If you're all about 0-60, you get a GTR. Track models, maybe the Z06 is the best. If you need a daily driver, is it a 911 or an RS7? If you want an engaging drive, with looks and sound to spare, the Viper is your car.

I am proud of Chrysler for letting the SRT team build this car. It is a true exotic, of the old school: a temperamental beast of a car that draws eyes and hearts.

They don't have the development money or the volume for the sophistication of a Porsche or a Corvette. But when you go to a classic car event in 50 years, the Viper will be the one that draws the crowd. It's a shame that is not translating to profits now.

$125K base = Whoa

...... Yeah.

Doesn't the Z51-equipped C7 start at around 60k or so? That's less than half the price....but with better performance. I prefer the C7's look myself (especially in Night Race Blue) but the Viper is a very close second.

Looks aside, I'm glad that SRT was able to build this car in the first place, despite the rather overwhelming price advantage of the C7....

Now THAT is a "proper" American sports car!! It may not be able to beat the new Corvette on some tracks but it looks ten times better.

SWEEN
03-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Many believe the pricing starts at $125k.

But for the GTS model it DOES start at 125K. SRT needs to eliminate the SRT and GTS model (just make it one), then it can say it starts at 100K. I see your frustration, but it technically does start at 125K.

sailquik
03-23-2014, 07:02 AM
My pleasure!
One of these days I will put together my own "Top 10" list. Maybe the next time I am sitting on a plane.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

That 930 turbo is an awesome beast, enjoy in good health!

Policy Limits
03-23-2014, 07:13 AM
MSRP on a TA is 120k and you can find one for less than that; the base SRT has an invoice in the five figures; weird how the perception is this car is so expensive. Lotus Evora and GT-R are some of the only cars with real performance to match the snake at the same price of an SRT base model and they seem to lack a pair in comparison.

There's a local 930 slant nose in my car club & it really stands out in person. The Aston was an interesting choice in answering that second question. I'd probably go with Aventador Roadster.

Policy Limits
03-23-2014, 07:37 AM
In any event I give Michael lots of credit. Willing to bet most other review guys drive a Prius, alternatively.

Nine Ball
03-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Very well-written and interesting article, Michael. Good to see a journalist that "gets it", when it comes to performance cars. There are too many automotive journalists out there that focus on silly metrics like 0-60, which were good for the 1950's when cars were much slower. 0-100 would be a better metric for today's vehicles, IMHO. I used to write for a few GM based performance/hotrod magazines, which are typically staffed by more "car guys" and racers. I can spot those who are just journalists that got a car based job, vs actual car guys that love what they are doing.

Tony

gutterworks129
03-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Gen 5 TA = The Best...

Michael Harley
03-24-2014, 01:15 AM
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

That 930 turbo is an awesome beast, enjoy in good health!

Thanks!

MSRP on a TA is 120k and you can find one for less than that; the base SRT has an invoice in the five figures; weird how the perception is this car is so expensive. Lotus Evora and GT-R are some of the only cars with real performance to match the snake at the same price of an SRT base model and they seem to lack a pair in comparison.

There's a local 930 slant nose in my car club & it really stands out in person. The Aston was an interesting choice in answering that second question. I'd probably go with Aventador Roadster.

Ah, the Lambo... I drove the '13 Aventador Roadster all around public roads in Miami, and then on Homestead-Miami Speedway. Crazy beast of a car, a real thrill, but actually not too difficult to drive fast once you get used to its size (the Viper is more of a challenge). Personally, I found the cabin uncomfortable after a hour or so, and it was a lot of stress to drive in traffic (lousy visibility, low nose and harsh gearbox). But, if you want attention... it is a MAGNET. :-)

In any event I give Michael lots of credit. Willing to bet most other review guys drive a Prius, alternatively.

Most of my peers don't have cars. But, there are a surprising few who have some kick-ass wheels...

Very well-written and interesting article, Michael. Good to see a journalist that "gets it", when it comes to performance cars. There are too many automotive journalists out there that focus on silly metrics like 0-60, which were good for the 1950's when cars were much slower. 0-100 would be a better metric for today's vehicles, IMHO. I used to write for a few GM based performance/hotrod magazines, which are typically staffed by more "car guys" and racers. I can spot those who are just journalists that got a car based job, vs actual car guys that love what they are doing.

Tony

Thanks, Tony.

I'd agree that the numbers are much more irrelevant these days. And, if you need to run numbers, the 0-100 mph acceleration and braking from 80 mph should be the new benchmarks (especially now that dual-clutch gearboxes make simple work of the 0-60 sprint).

Cheers!

- Mike

VENOM V
03-24-2014, 02:16 PM

Cheers!

- Mike

Mike,

I just read your Z/28 review and watch the vid. What a car! I honestly feel that way when I track my Camaro, and almost everyone is shocked that a heavy Camaro can tool around the track with such a blistering pace.

Could you please contrast it to the C7 Z51, which is also track capable and for less money?

That review was refreshing, no BS just an honest passionate evaluation.

Here's my Camaro, nearly as fast as the Viper on the track with all my mods. Love 'em both for different reasons. I can beat on the Camaro stress free, knowing that replacement parts are less. But the Viper is pure Nirvana on the track and has amazingly high limits. God forbid a wrinkle a fender in the Viper, but it's quite the rush.

Michael Harley
03-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Mike,

I just read your Z/28 review and watch the vid. What a car! I honestly feel that way when I track my Camaro, and almost everyone is shocked that a heavy Camaro can tool around the track with such a blistering pace.

Could you please contrast it to the C7 Z51, which is also track capable and for less money?

That review was refreshing, no BS just an honest passionate evaluation.

Here's my Camaro, nearly as fast as the Viper on the track with all my mods. Love 'em both for different reasons. I can beat on the Camaro stress free, knowing that replacement parts are less. But the Viper is pure Nirvana on the track and has amazingly high limits. God forbid a wrinkle a fender in the Viper, but it's quite the rush.

Ha! It appears as if you beat Chevy to the punch — you've built your own Z/28!

Thanks for the kind words re my Z/28 review. The video was a blast to make.

I would argue that the C7 Z51 is less track capable, despite what those who drink gallons of the Corvette Kool-Aid believe. In stock form, even with the optional Z51 package, it is a street car that is capable of being tracked... but those who do want to run a circuit at 10/10ths will need to upgrade its brakes, suspension, tires and cooling. The Z/28 is ready to rock a circuit right off the showroom floor, without any mods whatsoever.

The Z/28 equivalent is the upcoming Z06. It is going to be a monster.

- Mike

ACRucrazy
03-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Trofeo R? 305s?
What a badass car!
Man... I want one..