PDA

View Full Version : Early RT 10 headliner repair

DRM1125R
04-04-2020, 12:04 PM
Has anyone fixed their sagging headliner on the early factory hardtops? I've seen write ups on how to do the later ones that use the push pins to hold the headliner in place but can't find how to take apart the earlier hardtops. As you can see in my picture these don't use the push pins and I'm not sure how hard it is to take apart these hardtops to drop the headliner and repair it. It looks like the headliner is held in place by the sides of the hardtop so the whole thing has to come apart to remove the headliner.
Any help would be great, thanks.42571

DRM1125R
05-02-2020, 10:17 AM
A little update/information for others that have an early RT/10 hardtop.
The headliner on these cars is held on with an epoxy that is all around the edge and in the center section.
What I did to remove the headliner was use an exacto knife to carefully cut the fabric and headliner from the hardtop and the center section pulled right up once the edges were cut loose.
Once they were separated the cloth came right off with no issues since the glue is very dried up after 20+ years, I then took a vacuum to the headliner to remove all the dried up glue.

At this point I am deciding what material I want to replace the factory fabric with but have to say I am enjoying the extra room without the headliner, there is an easy one to two extra inches without it.43132

Jamos
05-02-2020, 04:04 PM
Mine was very different than yours in how it was held on! No epoxy on the edges, it was all very clean, but there were squiggles of glue left over - I got it without the material, just bare plastic after it had fallen off.