PDA

View Full Version : Water leak - AC drain line

PatrickB
03-13-2014, 01:26 PM
I have 2000 RT/10. Last summer, I was occasionally getting water into both my driver and & passenger side floorboards. The Viper was out alot in the July, Aug., and Sep. months with the AC blowing in very hot weather. The Viper was also caught in a few rainstorms during that time period. I haven't had an opportunity to dive in to determine the cause of the water, but from reading online I know that RTs aren't the best at keeping water out but it could also be a clogged AC drain line.

I drove alot and ran my AC often in those months last year - the Viper has been garaged but driven on occasion this winter. Further, I've washed it a number of times through the winter. I haven't had water on the floorboard since the summer, which is causing me to suspect the AC drain line as the culprit, so...

Does anyone have some advice on finding/cleaning out the drain line? I figured I'd start there since it seemed like it would be the easiest to check.

C.J
03-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Patrick, have you removed the air box on the passenger side (the black box with the round hole surrounded by the rubber gasket) and checked that drain to see if its open?

I'll get to my service manual shortly and see where the evap drain line is located.

PatrickB
03-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Patrick, have you removed the air box on the passenger side (the black box with the round hole surrounded by the rubber gasket) and checked that drain to see if its open?

I'll get to my service manual shortly and see where the evap drain line is located.

I haven't - I wanted to ask here first before I touched anything.

Those service manuals I was telling you about the other day are on the way so I can grab the info from there as well. I had seen the drain line referenced elsewhere as a possible culprit; figured it couldn't be that hard to get to it for an inspection.

C.J
03-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Patrick, in the 2001 Service Manual, page 24-19, refers to the HVAC Housing. There are two relevant sections for you:

REMOVAL - CONDENSATION DRAIN TUBE
(1) Locate rubber drain tube on right side of vehicle, near the evaporator connections.
(2) Squeeze clamp and remove drain tube.

And now, the installation! Page 24-22:

INSTALLATION - CONDENSATION DRAIN TUBE
(1) Install the drain tube on the HVAC housing using a spring type clamp to secure.
(2) Position the drain tube at a 40 degree toward the outboard side of the vehicle.

The HVAC housing is under the dash on the passenger side. From the sound of it, you should be able to see it if you contort yourself to look under the dash.

Hopefully someone has been there an done that and can add more. See you soon!

PatrickB
03-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Patrick, in the 2001 Service Manual, page 24-19, refers to the HVAC Housing. There are two relevant sections for you:

REMOVAL - CONDENSATION DRAIN TUBE
(1) Locate rubber drain tube on right side of vehicle, near the evaporator connections.
(2) Squeeze clamp and remove drain tube.

And now, the installation! Page 24-22:

INSTALLATION - CONDENSATION DRAIN TUBE
(1) Install the drain tube on the HVAC housing using a spring type clamp to secure.
(2) Position the drain tube at a 40 degree toward the outboard side of the vehicle.

The HVAC housing is under the dash on the passenger side. From the sound of it, you should be able to see it if you contort yourself to look under the dash.

Hopefully someone has been there an done that and can add more. See you soon!

Awesome Craig - when I get the '00 I'll take a look, but there's no reason to think your 01 and my 00 would be any different in regards to that. Sounds easy enough if I can squeeze myself in there.. :)

Thanks!

C.J
03-13-2014, 09:47 PM
No problem. :) I should probably check mine too just to make sure it's okay.

tagoo
03-14-2014, 09:51 AM
IIRC, that drain hose lays on the top of the silver metal heat shield that you can see from beneath the car. I'm talking about the shield that slopes downward at an angle and is about 1' x 1' in size (I hope that makes sense). If that shield is removed (e.g. to install headers), it is easy to forget to lay the drain hose back in the proper position. In my case, i had pushed the hose to one side when re-installing the heat shield and it created a kink in the hose that kept the condensation from draining. I was shocked at how much water came into the interior with the hose kinked - but it was summer in Oklahoma.

PatrickB
03-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Tagoo, did you have water on both driver and passenger sides?

I haven't been under the car yet, but your statement about the amount of water coming in rings very similar to my thoughts on my situation. Summer (with AC on) is when I saw the problem, haven't seen it since (in winter, multiple wash jobs throughout).

tagoo
03-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Actually, I only noticed water on the passenger side, but I set about fixing it as soon as I noticed the water pouring into the passenger foot well when I accelerated. Perhaps i would have noticed water on the driver side if I had driven it more before I fixed the problem.

01sapphirebob
08-18-2016, 09:46 AM
Patrick...any news on this issue? My RT started taking on water this past weekend in a down pour on the way home and subsiquently when I washed it yesterday. First time ive noticed it.

LightningKray
08-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Patrick...any news on this issue? My RT started taking on water this past weekend in a down pour on the way home and subsiquently when I washed it yesterday. First time ive noticed it.

LOL, hope it's nothing serious Bob. I waited out the rain under a gas station overhead just South of Canton...

I've also had water in my AC-less 93 Gen 1 but attribute it to the drive home from Dublin in the pouring rain when I first took delivery... I believe it either comes in from the hood vent or between the top and windows draining down to the foot-well.