PDA

View Full Version : Any 997 GT3 owners

Rxmfn7
03-10-2020, 08:09 PM
So as we sometimes do I am considering switching up cars. A 997 GT3 ( RS if funds allow ) has always been a bucket list car, and Im believe I am in a position to where I could make it happen. I like to ask about vehicles on forums that differ from that cars specific venue, as I find you get more honest opinions. Anyone on here currently, or previously own a 997 GT3? Opinions? "worth" the current price for fun factor?

Old Surfer
03-10-2020, 11:14 PM
Not a 997, but I owned a 996 Gt3 and Gt2. Loved them both. Fit and finish was second to none. Scalpels with wheels. Should have never sold them. You won't regret it.

stradman
03-11-2020, 06:03 PM
I currently own a 997.2 GT3 and a 996.2 GT3. Ask me which do I prefer? Oh well I'll say it anyway! I find the 996 more pure/analogue than the 997. As a track car,I far prefer the 996. As a road car though the 997 is probably better because of the PASM which tries to be all things to all men-which ultimately can't I guess.
7 GT3 has a touch more grip (wider tyres) and is a bit more accelerative in gear. However I find the gear change itself a bit clunky and hence it probably retards the acceleration a little across the box.
However it doesn't feel as natural to drive it hard, like the scruff of the neck type like the 996 does.. But if you don’t then you do not get a faster lap time.
So unless you are willing to drive it by the total scruff of the neck it is not much quicker.The 996 just seems more feelsome and adjustable. The car feels more raked in that you are managing the front end more (more weight under braking and cornering) etc.
Whereas the 997 has more rearward brake bias and PASM and hence you can’t quite load up the front in the same way.
I just love my 996 even though it has always been the unloved 911. However take some time to learn it, gel with it and get the geo right(may take a few goes to do this) but once you've done that I tell you the car gets under your skin like no other car. When I first got it I kinda hated it, but I persevered and got it right and now its one of my prefered weapon of choice on track-equalling my ACR easily.