PDA

View Full Version : TPMS Trick To keep light off with custom wheels

PaulP
03-12-2014, 02:18 PM
If your like me and hate any lights on dash like the tire pressure sensors, Im running 19 and 20's on car, not much room for sensors or way for sensor to mount on inside tire and wheels or stems that are not designed for it, made this out of abs threw in four sensors pressurise to 30psi done.

Ripper
03-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Where do you put it??

JonB ~ PartsRack
03-12-2014, 02:33 PM
You could put it in the GLOVE BOX !!! Its just a pressurized canister that holds your 4 OE sensors within range of the BCM-PCM.

[ If the cops look in there you could cause a city-block evacuation......looks like a pipe bomb! ]

PaulP
03-12-2014, 02:50 PM
I marked on it what's inside, and just put in trunk but I could see how they could think that might strap under hood or rear bumper so its out of sight

Getnlwr
03-12-2014, 03:16 PM
This is where CLEAR PVC pipe is a good thing. JB has a good point.

PaulP
03-12-2014, 07:12 PM
I zap strapped it to battery box out of site

IndyRon
03-12-2014, 08:08 PM
That's an awesome idea! I don't have TPMS installed on my current wheels/tires. Anyone know what's the cheapest I can come across TPMS x 4?

Timnineside
03-12-2014, 08:30 PM
I zap strapped it to battery box out of site

Dang this is genius!

ACRucrazy
03-12-2014, 08:49 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoD3i_nVPANJpWHxNm6nNRGj4HWzXgj dvFfA5NzRbKCaAzvxpI

St.Char
03-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Ron- Give Luke a call at TireRack. Great customer service and prices:dude3:

IndyRon
03-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Ron- Give Luke a call at TireRack. Great customer service and prices:dude3:

Thanks, I may do that...although I'm guessing it'll probably be a couple hundred dollars. I'm not so sure the light on the dash bothers me that much. :o

ACRucrazy, sell yours?

PaulP
03-12-2014, 11:37 PM
433mhz, sensors around 30 each 120 for four, ebay should have some but your local tire shops should, you can get used dodge sensors as many of here vehicles use the same 433mhz sensors

Ripper
03-13-2014, 10:07 AM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoD3i_nVPANJpWHxNm6nNRGj4HWzXgj dvFfA5NzRbKCaAzvxpI

haha ! Nice !

Good job guys

FrgMstr
03-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Is this what we are looking for here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-OEM-CHRYSLER-DODGE-JEEP-TPMS-56029398AB-433MHZ-TIRE-PRESSURE-SENSORS-/271424069826

So you take four of these, put these in the enclosure, mount one with the stem out the end so we can pressurize the canister, and we are done basically? No big job to marry these to the car? Sorry for the questions, but I assumed this would be more of a PITA than this simple solution.

I hate that damn light when it is flashing. Always pulls my eyes from the road where they should be....

PaulP
03-13-2014, 11:24 AM
yup very easy solution, I own a tire shop so I hate tpms lights lol, pvc or abs put four of your sensors in I put in a cloth too so they don't rattle seal it pressurise it, strap to car somewhere and drive 4-5km car will see them and light will go out

FrgMstr
03-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the clarification PaulP.

JonB ~ PartsRack
03-13-2014, 12:49 PM
You have to use your OE sensors, already 'married' to the car.

Or get 4 new ones, and have any tire-store / dealer 'marry' those to the car with a magnet tool device that all tire stores have these days.

Due to snow tires, many cars hold 2 TPMS sets in memory.... Vipers wont. 1 set only.

Be very careful when you pressurize it, as 32 PSI comes up REAL FAST! You could put an eye out if you make it a compressed-air pipe bomb!

PartsRack has -FRESH- TPMS sensors in stock $129 / 4 + $10 ship. JonB@PartsRack.com

Thanks.......

[or buy from flea-bay and hope you don't get old or dead battery TPMS or counterfeits]

viper04
03-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Nice..!! Thanks for posting..

Walter
03-15-2014, 05:19 PM
OE Wheels has set of 4 OEM Mopar sensors for $120.00

Walter
03-15-2014, 05:22 PM
I would buy them from Parts rack.com.

chicagopd50
02-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Awsome idea you guys saved me a big head ache about tpms. Gonna go to home depot and buy me some pvc. Lol

Viper Specialty
02-02-2016, 12:17 AM
All I will say is that I have sensors in my 21x14, 20x11 setup... Easy to get sensors into just about any wheel.

chicagopd50
02-02-2016, 07:00 PM
When u go to the track alot this isthe best solution, dont have time to mess with tpms sensors changing them from one wheel to another...

Nine Ball
02-02-2016, 07:14 PM
I haven't run TPMS sensors in my Gen 3 since 2007. All they tell you is LO TIRE and one ding on start up. Not a big deal. It isn't even advanced enough of a system to tell us individual tire pressures, so basically useless.

Vprbite
02-02-2016, 10:00 PM
You could put it in the GLOVE BOX !!! Its just a pressurized canister that holds your 4 OE sensors within range of the BCM-PCM.

[ If the cops look in there you could cause a city-block evacuation......looks like a pipe bomb! ]

Exactly. At least it's plastic though. Do you have a coupe? If so, you could put it in the indent area in the side of the hatchback. I keep a first aid kit and tire repair spray there on drives but it looks like your little pressure canister would fit there well.

ACRUCRAZY's though looks much less menacing with the label and the filler nozzle. Make it all black or out of metal and some itchy cop could go bonkers and call homeland security or NSA. I would say maybe even put a label on it that says "fill to 32 PSI" or "tire pressure simulator" or something like that.

On my coupe, the receiving unit behind the dash took a dive. The sensors work, but the unit thinks they are sending a low pressure signal. I considered it not worth repairing since it's just one ding(in a perfect world the light will burn out and then I don't even have to look at it, haha ) plus I have a really cool high tech option for checking tire pressure. It's a device that kinda looks like a pen and every once in a while I put it on the valves and it tells me the pressure. Much cheaper to maintain and replace. I tend to find those TPMS sensors more trouble than they are worth. Call me an old coot if you must. Being that most new drivers don't know what tire pressure is though, I suppose for the general public they are a good idea.

Viper Specialty
02-03-2016, 10:59 AM
When u go to the track alot this isthe best solution, dont have time to mess with tpms sensors changing them from one wheel to another...

That would be why we offer Mimic Sensors, so all of your wheels and tires will work with the car... Without extra programming.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't run TPMS sensors in my Gen 3 since 2007. All they tell you is LO TIRE and one ding on start up. Not a big deal. It isn't even advanced enough of a system to tell us individual tire pressures, so basically useless.

To each their own. I would rather be told something, than nothing.

FrgMstr
02-03-2016, 01:43 PM

Bingo! TPMS is PITA and POS. Keep a tire gauge in your console and check the tires when you get gas and before you pull it out of the garage.

PaulP
02-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Bingo! TPMS is PITA and POS. Keep a tire gauge in your console and check the tires when you get gas and before you pull it out of the garage.

Been two years since ive done this attached it under the rear bumper cant see it from any angle and no lights on dash for two years, I have two sets of wheels drag setup and street and am always rotating between the sets , air gauge in console no light on dash. For a ten dollar fix and ten min job to not hear a ding or light on dash why not imo. I run my drag setup on the street too, it is never at the needed 29psi for the light to go off, so for me this way works perfect never see it don't need to rely on it. TPMS = pain in the ass your right frgmstr well use to be a pain in the ass lol

billseast
02-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know how to do a hard reset on the tpms system?

viper04blk
02-05-2016, 09:40 AM
I plan to do this setup as well... its absolutely brilliant. It will end ALOT of annoyances.