PDA

View Full Version : Quick question overheated jammed engine

Sledgehammer
02-14-2020, 01:47 AM
Hi Guys,

Hope you can help me out. I'm not a viper owner (yet) but i really hope to be soon.
Unfortunately they're usually out of reach but now I might have a chance at one in bad shape to fix up.

I have to decide quite quick but I'm having doubts.

It's a '94 RT10 with a severely overheated and as a result jammed engine.

Since I can't see inside the block what exactly happened I'm hoping you guys have a 'probably...'

I do know early Vipers have overheating problems but i'm not sure what happens when they really jam because of it. Is it all over for the block (would it rip or have a crack?)?

Hope you guys can help me make a quick decission! If it goes through then i'll be sure to properly introduce myself, the car and all the work ahead.

Thanks in advance!!
Tom

dave6666
02-14-2020, 04:35 AM
1) Since you claim to be new to Vipers, Gen 1 Vipers have overheating issues due to lack of correct maintenance not due to faulty design. So blame the owners of the cars, not the engineers that designed them.

2) The locked engine could be one or both of several things. Bearings, pistons, etc. Pull the heads and the pan and start investigating?

What is your budget? There are plenty of Vipers for sale in the 20s. Many more in the 30s. All running of course.

Sledgehammer
02-14-2020, 05:49 AM
Thanks Dave,
I wasn't blaming anyone ;)

In this case it's more of an opportunity to start a project. I'll probably be able to get it for 10k, but it also needs exterior and interior work besides the engine, which i'd do myself. It would be a multi-year hobby project.

dave6666
02-14-2020, 07:28 AM
I would contact Ryan Scharf at Scharf Recycling for a price on a used engine. Which you will probably need. You may find that with the roller price of $10k plus a used engine you are creeping up on running car money. Albeit that takes the project aspect out of it. At least the part where you need a new engine.

AZTVR
02-14-2020, 07:56 AM
I would contact Ryan Scharf at Scharf Recycling
I think that Ryan Hagen is who you might be referring to who works at Don Scharf Automotive.

dave6666
02-14-2020, 08:56 AM
I think that Ryan Hagen is who you might be referring to who works at Don Scharf Automotive.

Yup. My bad. More drunk posting.

jdeft1
02-15-2020, 04:01 PM
I would steer away (or drive that price down). There are some PERFECT cars out there in the twenties..

Sledgehammer
02-17-2020, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys.

Unforftunately there are definately no good ones in the twenties here in Europe. I've found one in questionable state for 32k Euros but that's as cheap as i found them. They're very rare here so that's why prices are a bit different I guess.
I'm in the states a couple times a year so maybe better to save up some more and export it.

Dan Cragin
02-17-2020, 06:31 PM
Engine could be hydrolocked from a blown head gasket. Used Gen 1 motors can be had from $4500 to $8500 depending on condition.

Sledgehammer
02-18-2020, 06:21 AM
Would the block itself still be usable? (thinking of the 'matching numbers')

Haven't worked on a ST10 but my guess would be that the block isn't very fragile ;)