PDA

View Full Version : AAA experiences getting a GTS towed

MrCreosote
02-04-2020, 06:31 PM
I got boned by AAA, since rollback guy didn't have ramps or planks.

dave6666
02-04-2020, 06:47 PM
I would have kept that a secret. About getting boned. By the...

Oh never mind.

jdeft1
02-06-2020, 05:17 PM
I don't use AAA. This a smartphone world. Don't get Boned again!

plumcrazy
02-06-2020, 07:28 PM
wtf were you thinking would happen lol

MrCreosote
02-07-2020, 10:44 AM
Smart phone? How does that help? (I have one.)

"..(was) I thinking?" Cheese, I know how to tow cars. Didn't think a famous, "beloved" outfit like AAA would high tow monkeys with hooks.

AviP
02-07-2020, 02:09 PM
AAA reminds me of a Dilbert strip from many years ago: "I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils". Sorry!
https://dilbert.com/strip/2008-02-03

Anyway, you have to ask the right question. Flat bed? Ramps? Damage? No payment till he shows up. And if you don't like what you see, you just call another guy. Unless you are in Smallsville and he is the only guy!

jdeft1
02-07-2020, 03:32 PM
Smart phone? How does that help? (I have one.)

"..(was) I thinking?" Cheese, I know how to tow cars. Didn't think a famous, "beloved" outfit like AAA would high tow monkeys with hooks.

I should have said "AAA is worthless these days. If you need a tow, use your phone to talk to the driver and be sure he has what it takes to load a viper".... Sorry

MrCreosote
02-07-2020, 03:42 PM
AAA always seem like staid old "AARP" class outfit - guess I'm not that off.

I'm trying to get this answer: Since AAA only agrees to supply what the tow truck guy shows up in, if a guy w/ramps shows AND they don't reimburse for ramps, THEN is that tow w/ramps free? AAA also said to"Ask for Dispatch" to see if they would find someone w/ramps.

Steve-Indy
02-07-2020, 04:01 PM
Sorry for your situation...and, sadly, we have all seen this type of thing...no ramps, nothing but a HUGE hook, no boards, no cable/chain pads, no rollback, fractured nose, broken strakes, no clue, etc.

While not all efforts to make this situation go well always work out favorably, I have found that establishing a relationship with a local, reputable towing company who recognizes the word "Viper" has helped our members avoid many of the mentioned pitfalls. In the Greater Indy area, we have a company that has been most responsive to our needs. They arrive very quickly, dispatching a rollback with the right stuff, and their drivers have been most patient with our particular needs. be it a short ride or a 300 mile run. ONE local dealer who is "Viper friendly" (for close to 20 years) also uses this same company. Finally...as a sign of both appreciation AND respect, a gratuity for the driver coupled with a sincere "thank you" handshake is most welcome by these folks...who just may share that they have never seen that type of gratitude from the Bentley, Ferrari, or Lambo groups. You may or may agree with this approach...but it has worked very well for our Viper posse in my opinion.

MrCreosote
02-07-2020, 04:43 PM
I have a good friend who tows stuff a lot worse than my Viper. Locally I'd probably save money considering the $80 AAA fee is probably about what he'd charge me for a local tow.

Hagerty sound like they have a quality service but that doesn't cover my daily driver 74 Datsun 620.

Tow friend suggested Cross Country which he encounters regularly. I read the small print and did not see glaring shortcomings like in the AAA verbiage.

jdeft1
02-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Over the last twenty years I've driven my viper(s) on many, many, many thousand mile plus road trips. I've never had a failure but I know the time may come..; That said, I've had some close calls. When/if it happens, I'll break out the phone and find a tow. It's life, shit happens. I don't need 'My car may break' insurance and neither do you because you have a phone and vipers are rock solid.

cashcorn
02-07-2020, 05:50 PM
I have AAA premium with 4 tows a year @125mi each. I tell them to send a flat bed with ramps, never had a problem. Great way to send your car in for fluid changes/maintenance, if you don't have the time..

MrCreosote
02-07-2020, 06:53 PM
I got the AAA because

a) I have 4 old cars: 96 GTS, 87 Turbo Sprint, 74 Datsun 620, and 63 R2 Super Lark
b) I was driving the GTS 2500 miles from CA to PA

jdeft1
02-07-2020, 08:19 PM
I'm just sayin' I don't think you need it but I'm a risk taker and think insurance is a ripoff.

MrCreosote
02-07-2020, 08:42 PM
I have minimum liability and no collision on any of my cars - well, Hagerty collector insurance requires collision.