PDA

View Full Version : Trackday seats

eckeph
01-05-2020, 06:19 PM
Trying out my 2016 ACR, I realize that the seats will need to be replaced. Not only because the height, which can be fixed with a lowering kit, but mainly because of the lower part of the 6-point harness being routed the way it is. To be frank, my balls hurts! Something I never experienced in my GT3. I need a seat that is lower and has a hole in the bottom for the lower part of the harness. It would be ideal if the seats had halo but that is not the mandatory. I know that the RaceTech seats that they used in the ACR's at the Nurbugring is out of production so that is not an option. Tillet seems to be the only ones that make seats that fits. So the question is, is there anyone that have found any suitable seats, with the exception of Tillet (which I heard from a Time Attack champ are not comfortable), that will fit in the ACR without the need of modifying the interior?

Alternatively, is there anyone that knows where to buy extra door panels to modify to make real racing seats fit?

str5010
01-05-2020, 08:39 PM
Complete Performance Motorsports in Ohio has installed the new variant of the RaceTech in Gen V ACRs. Give them a call.

Pappy
01-05-2020, 09:32 PM
Arizona Vipers is running an OPG HTRE-carbon. a full containment seat in his 9 liter. He has the door panels removed, so I'm not sure if there would be a clearance issue there. Maybe he will chime in.

Pappy

Ronin47
01-06-2020, 12:32 AM
I think TKO motorsport makes a seat for the gen v. Give them a call.

stradman
01-06-2020, 02:16 AM
I don't know why anyone would say that Tillett seats are uncomfortable. Most people I know say quite the opposite. Certainly from my point of view they are perfect!

FrankBarba
01-06-2020, 07:22 AM
I'm planning on installing a Nascar Seat like the Butler Race Seat.

13COBRA
01-06-2020, 07:47 AM
I love my Tilletts. SUPER comfortable.

DEMO MAN
01-06-2020, 01:22 PM
I've been in multiple different race seats and bar none the Tillett seat is the most comfortable one I've ever sat in. I don't see me going back to anything I've used in the past

Steve Tillett
01-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Please note; Anyone who says Tillett seats are not comfortable is completely mad or did not fit the seat.
We spend thousands of hours making sure they are more comfortable than the bullshit boxes of foam.
But then I am bias.

13COBRA
01-14-2020, 02:59 PM
Please note; Anyone who says Tillett seats are not comfortable is completely mad or did not fit the seat.
We spend thousands of hours making sure they are more comfortable than the bullshit boxes of foam.
But then I am bias.

Haha I love mine!

Arizona Vipers
01-14-2020, 03:09 PM
Arizona Vipers is running an OPG HTRE-carbon. a full containment seat in his 9 liter. He has the door panels removed, so I'm not sure if there would be a clearance issue there. Maybe he will chime in.

Pappy

Pretty sure it would have fit with the door panel in. I think the problem is higher up, where the roof starts to curve in. But I have that panel removed. I think worst case with most seats you would have to notch the door panel or side pillar panel. Just buy a second one to store if you had to notch the original part.

eckeph
01-14-2020, 03:23 PM
But then I am bias.

The guy in question raced 24h in Dubai last weekend so he's not a rookie. I guess people come in different forms and shapes.

Anyway, I love the looks of your seats but I want a seat with halo so your sets is not on the top of my list I'm afraid!

eckeph
01-14-2020, 03:44 PM
So, I found a seat that I think will fit without having to modify the door panel. According to my measurements The seat has to be mounted slightly off center to the right (about 20mm), towards the transmission tunnel to clear the door panel. I will have to make a custom seat under carriage but that's needed anyway since the stock rear mounting points for the seat needs to be strengthened.

The seat in question is OMP Prototipo-R. I will order one and see if it fits. I will keep you posted!

https://www.ompracing.com/en_gb/prototipo-44812.html

eckeph
01-14-2020, 04:10 PM
If your anything over 34 waist its going to be very tight. Just a heads up

Thanks! However, I tried out the RaceTech RT4119HRW which is 1 cm more narrow and that seat was just a smudge too small. So I think this seat might fit me well. Besides you can remove the padding in various parts of the seat so I think I'm safe (y)

Tamvette
01-14-2020, 09:05 PM
Tillet seats are great for cruising around town getting ice cream on sunday afternoon . Tillet go kart seats best made hands down. Tillet seats for racecar or serious track car............. definitely not.

I don't represent Tillet but they are FIA approved, I am hoping they should be ok for track days.

As far as comfort, I guess everyone has their taste. (Although never met anyone that didn't like these, very popular in Lotus scene)

I have B6 Screamer in my Viper and OMP HTE-R in my race car. Both very comfortable when driving however halo could be too much for a car that does street duty as well.

Mr. Acoustics
01-15-2020, 10:09 AM
I think your referring to "FIA approved" kart seats. Tillet kart seats are the best and most comfortable.

Their car seats are also FIA Approved if they are side mount style. The bottom mount seats are not (aka the ones that directly bolt onto sliders without extra brackets). I bought the side configuration I have specifically because it was FIA approved.

Mr. Acoustics
01-15-2020, 11:33 AM
Yes it is FIA 8855-1999, the spec that 95+% the seats from major players (Recaro, Sparco, Cobra, OMP, Racetech, Sabelt) certify to. Out of the big brands Recaro and Sparco have 1 seat model and OMP have 2 seats that are on the 8862-2009 FIA spec, the other brands have none, and based on their size charts, they stand little to no chance of fitting in a viper. I wanted an FIA seat that fits in my viper and due to sizing sadly all my choices were and are going to be 8855-1999 seats, I rather have some certification and testing than none.

ACR Steve
01-16-2020, 04:27 PM
Its a really nice seat but not really a true race seat . There is very little containment and no halo

Steve Tillett
01-17-2020, 03:48 PM
I am hurt by the Ice cream reference, but at least our seat is easier to wipe out if it drops in your lap under braking.

The 8855-1999 FIA homologation is a serious race car seat specification Which both the B6 Screamer and B7 have passed numerous times. They are raced all over the world including the US.
The Tillett B7 seat is the most compact seat and at 3.7 kg the lightest homologated seat you can get in the world. It lowers the driver more than everything else on the market, keeping the head away from roll bars, it allows escape out of tight cockpits, does not flex or wobble, gives total feel from the track because it does need padding and does not blinker drivers from seeing another car coming up the inside in the peripheral view. Not that anyone would because if you used our seat you would be way ahead anyway.
If you want to contain the head use a net, it's just as effective at decelerating the brain and you can take it off. If you do use the car on a road a halo is downright dangerous.

eckeph
03-27-2020, 12:39 PM
So, I finally got the seat! It fits with no issues. Now I have to manufacture seat base and new mounting point for the shoulder harness :)

sharmut
03-27-2020, 01:23 PM
So, I finally got the seat! It fits with no issues. Now I have to manufacture seat base and new mounting point for the shoulder harness :)

Reach out to Doug at DSE, to see if his seat base will fit the OMP bracket.

sharmut
03-28-2020, 05:22 PM
The OMP PROTOTIPO-R seat is about the max shoulder width you can fit without modifying the door panel.
The carbon version is reasonably priced.

Arizona Vipers
03-28-2020, 11:06 PM

Well now everyone knows for sure! Great post!

Viperawi
03-29-2020, 03:34 AM
I am hurt by the Ice cream reference, but at least our seat is easier to wipe out if it drops in your lap under braking.

The 8855-1999 FIA homologation is a serious race car seat specification Which both the B6 Screamer and B7 have passed numerous times. They are raced all over the world including the US.
The Tillett B7 seat is the most compact seat and at 3.7 kg the lightest homologated seat you can get in the world. It lowers the driver more than everything else on the market, keeping the head away from roll bars, it allows escape out of tight cockpits, does not flex or wobble, gives total feel from the track because it does need padding and does not blinker drivers from seeing another car coming up the inside in the peripheral view. Not that anyone would because if you used our seat you would be way ahead anyway.
If you want to contain the head use a net, it's just as effective at decelerating the brain and you can take it off. If you do use the car on a road a halo is downright dangerous.

I second that, and will go this route once ready. Thanks to Tillett for being in the viper community with great products.
But I guess to each his own.

Arizona Vipers
03-29-2020, 10:26 AM

Your seats are works of art! Great to have you as part of the Viper community now. Doug Shelby has made it easy for everyone to get your seats installed!

Steakfeast
04-22-2020, 03:19 PM
The OMP PROTOTIPO-R seat is about the max shoulder width you can fit without modifying the door panel.
The carbon version is reasonably priced.

How much were the seats shipped to you?

sharmut
04-22-2020, 07:06 PM
How much were the seats shipped to you?

I didn't purchase the OMP PROTOTIPO-R, the additional shoulder support is appealing. May order the OMP, but want more seat time with Tillett B6 Screamers before deciding.