PDA

View Full Version : Roll bar

MtnBiker
03-10-2014, 11:11 AM
This is my next mod, a Ross Murray roll bar. Has anyone done this?

Torquemonster06
03-10-2014, 11:15 AM
I haven't seen one of those before. I know Cobraken added one of John B's to a car he had awhile back. It even had the same stripes as his viper with removable door bars.

JonB ~ PartsRack
03-10-2014, 04:11 PM
PartsRack has done a couple of Ross' bars..

Ross makes a weld-in bar, and a bolt-in bar. The Bolt-in installs in about 5-6 hours

Dan Cragin has installed the most. Tomball has also installed them !

moparnav
03-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Jon, how would you rate the difficulty of the bolt-in bar?

MtnBiker
03-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Tomball will install mine.

Late Apex
03-10-2014, 06:06 PM

3704 Hey John, I would talk with Jon first at PartsRack as he has an awesome roll bar set up for the Gen 4 and Morgan at Tomball has installed several of these. I did my old one way back in the Bobby Archer days in Ft. Worth but what PartsRack has now is really nice.

JonB ~ PartsRack
03-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Jon, how would you rate the difficulty of the bolt-in bar?

Of course DanC, EddieM, JeffS, and Morgan at Tomball can do it with their eyes closed.

With both front seats and the plastic trim panel behind the seats removed, the bar can be maneuvered in. It fits under the stock headliner and forward of the factory rollbar/hatch support frame. It touches the headliner and the seat headrest but doesn't stop the seat going all the way back.

Manufacturer says its Simple and Easy.
I only have 1 working wrist, with a 25-lb limit, so I'm 'disabled' at this point!

We also offer the RPM Rollbar as CobraKen did, with cross-braces and door-bars to get you into the 10s....

Shooter
03-10-2014, 06:34 PM
I had one of those in my Gen 3. Great item. Installed by Dan Cragin.

AutoformSteve
03-10-2014, 09:13 PM
We at Autoform also offer a roll bar for the Gen IV coupes...ours is however, a bit more a of a project, but when installed looks like it is part of the car...it does come with a new headliner and rear bulkhead filler panel. Much of this bar is actually hidden above the headliner to give the most head/helmet room possible...I spent a bunch of time and energy in the design and engineering of this bar, not simple and easy...how's that for salesmanship.

MtnBiker
03-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Hey John, I would talk with Jon first at PartsRack as he has an awesome roll bar set up for the Gen 4 and Morgan at Tomball has installed several of these. I did my old one way back in the Bobby Archer days in Ft. Worth but what PartsRack has now is really nice.

I'll do that. Thanks Mark.

MtnBiker
03-10-2014, 10:17 PM
We at Autoform also offer a roll bar for the Gen IV coupes...ours is however, a bit more a of a project, but when installed looks like it is part of the car...it does come with a new headliner and rear bulkhead filler panel. Much of this bar is actually hidden above the headliner to give the most head/helmet room possible...I spent a bunch of time and energy in the design and engineering of this bar, not simple and easy...how's that for salesmanship.

That is sharp looking. Thanks for posting.

Dusty1
03-11-2014, 11:07 AM
John:

I have the Autoform bar and waterfall out of my car available for sale used, save you a few bucks I would think. Its currently painted Venom Red to match Dusty but you will probably want to paint to match regardless of what you get. PM me if your interested.

Richard

Revolution
03-11-2014, 01:34 PM

What sanctioning bodied does your cage meet with no rear bars?

Ripper
03-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Anyone have more pics of the "Ross" bar ?? Specifically one that shows the seats / headrests ? A pic looking into the cockpit

RedTanRT/10
03-11-2014, 02:20 PM

I had Ross do the install since Dan Cragin couldn't figure it out

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/thumbs/Dan_Cragin_Willow.jpg (http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php/photo/63862/title/dan-cragin40-willow/cat/500)

I know of about a half dozen installs out here, everyones happy and thankfully no one I know has tested it. Mike

MtnBiker
03-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Mike, as you can see I pinched that picture from your thread on another site. I like the look of the bar, and that it has the rear bars. Should increase rigidity of the frame too.

Slithr
03-11-2014, 03:54 PM
That'd be a tuff decision .... that Autoform bar sure does look stout!

MtnBiker
03-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Yes it is. I understand that to install the autoform the roof, hatch and seats have to come out. To install the Murray the seats come out and some of the car has to be cut out. I like them both...which is safer?

RedTanRT/10
03-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Mike, as you can see I pinched that picture from your thread on another site. I like the look of the bar, and that it has the rear bars. Should increase rigidity of the frame too.

No worries!! What you can't see is that the bar also goes down by the door side seat belt bolts, but covered by the bulkhead.

BTW for all the Dan Cragin fans, that picture is him replacing my crank sensor at the track.

AutoformSteve
03-11-2014, 05:08 PM
You don't need to take the roof off to install our bar nor do you need to take the hatch off. (you will need to take the seats out) You do need to remove the stock roll structure from the factory as our bar replaces that structure...we felt that getting the roll bar up as far as possible above and away from the drivers head was the ultimate way to go for safety. Our bar bolts on the top upper frame and also to the bottom lower frame area. The hoop design and two kickers triangulate for possible side roll.
The guys at Archer Racing are installing one today for use SL's One Lap Viper

Revolution
03-11-2014, 05:45 PM
What sanctioning bodied does your cage meet with no rear bars?

Could you clarify this please.

AutoformSteve
03-11-2014, 06:37 PM
This bar has always passed scca sanctioned track day type events...I have not been able to get it to be an official SCCA approved bolt in roll bar for door to door racing as they have specific guidelines that pertain to all make of cars . The way the Viper frame is designed has also made it tough to fit into their guidelines. This bar is fully mig and tig welded and made of 1 3/4 120 wall DOM mild steel tubing. I believe there are rules for how many points are bolted to the frame as well as how much the bar stiffens the frame.

MtnBiker
03-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Vprbite
07-11-2016, 05:06 AM
A little late here, sorry.

I know autoform makes only quality stuff and being a little further away from your head is a good idea for street situations. Ever been in one of those cars where the rollbar is abour 1/2 " away from your head? That's not a fun feeling. Nice they designed around that.

As far as Ross Murray roll bars go, Venom V installed one in his copper (Stryker orange, perhaps) ACR-E. He did a write up about it in the how to section. So you got a couple good options there.

Coupes and ACRs have one in the design but you can never have too much protection at the track.

Good luck!

Joel
07-11-2016, 05:54 PM
I can't say enough good things about Steve and Autoform. I put his bar and hardtop on my car and it really made a difference in how solid the car felt. At track days I felt safe and the car seemed to be better tied together. Steve was there when I had questions about the install and the product is great. It will be a bit harder in a coupe but not that hard if you take your time and have some mechanical ability. If someone else does it who has done it before it will be a piece of cake.

RT SERPENT
07-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Hate to hijack the thread a bit, but I'm looking for a roll bar option for a GEN2 RT/10 (That works with my factory hard top)