PDA

View Full Version : This is just sad and pathetic

catwood
12-11-2019, 08:09 PM
I was doing the annual check on miles driven last year with insurance.

I drove the ACR-E only 300 miles.......

I don't deserve one anymore. I think my ACR-X got more miles and I've only had it a short while.

:lol2:

99RT10
12-11-2019, 08:22 PM
You got me beat, more miles than me last year :( :( :(

Voice of Reason
12-11-2019, 08:32 PM
I think I did maybe 1,500 last year. With a total of 21k miles Ive done a lot of driving but 18k of that occurred in the first 3 years of ownership. The last two years have been too busy :(

RedTanRT/10
12-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Hey Carl, crazy!! "their too pretty to track." S&P is up over 20% YTD, you got frozen cash sitting in that garage.

5-6 years ago I smogged my G1, in 2 years I had driven it 14 miles and 4-6 miles were the round trips to the smog shop.

Take care, heading to a private event at Willow Friday

99RT10
12-11-2019, 08:42 PM
Hey Carl, crazy!! "their too pretty to track." S&P is up over 20% YTD, you got frozen cash sitting in that garage.

5-6 years ago I smogged my G1, in 2 years I had driven it 14 miles and 4-6 miles were the round trips to the smog shop.

What is ............. smogged?

:D

RedTanRT/10
12-11-2019, 08:46 PM
HaHa Mike, smog your car, highest priced gas in the nation, the list goes on!

catwood
12-11-2019, 10:12 PM

Ranchita is a smog free area!

zee
12-12-2019, 12:04 AM
Come on Carl!! I’ve done 600 miles since I bought mine less then a month ago!

ACRSNK
12-12-2019, 03:27 AM
I think I did about the same if not a little less last year

Bapple30
12-12-2019, 05:06 AM
I've had mine for about 6 weeks, already put around 800 miles on it, so much fun to drive!

capevettes
12-12-2019, 05:45 AM
4,100 miles of smiles and one set of Toyo R888r tires for me. These cars are just too much fun to drive to allow them to become garage ornaments.

swexlin
12-12-2019, 07:23 AM
Put about 900 miles on - between no time, winter, and bad weather. Currently hasn't been out of the garage in 2 months. While temps are supposed to be mild this weekend - forecast is for heavy rain - so it sits.

J TNT
12-12-2019, 07:49 AM
A Well distinguished Top level automotive Engineer once mentioned to me , “Sports cars are one of the most under utilized vehicles produced......”
That’s were Club events help mitigate the issue.......lol !
Enjoy your Rides !

catwood
12-12-2019, 09:08 AM
This is #7 of 8 Vipers I've owned. I would say I've typically been a 2500 mi/year kind of guy. This one is the most awesome of the ones I've owned and sold in terms of the sheer presence it commands. Not that the others went unnoticed. I hesitate to take it on long trips due to the stupid traffic on all roads leading north and the lack of road repairs. I cringe at some of the potholes I hit in my 2500 Ram. I bought it two years ago to have as a track car. A few months later bought the 18" Forgelines and pondered changing the brakes but did add some of the safety gear and belts. The Forgelines remain in the original shipping boxes stacked in the garage. Instead of tracking it, I bought a Panoz racecar. I've sold that and now am on #3 racecar trying to match the speed of set up Gen 5 which I think I'm in that arena. So I sit on the ACR-E, rims in hand and the chances of taking it to the track are even more diminished.

First world problems are a bitch aren't they? :lame:

My new years resolution is to get it out more. :drive:

flyboy1of1
12-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Drove my 2017 Viper 12 miles this year[ total miles 170 last three years]. Appx.$ 30.00 a mile for taxes& insurance, and does not include the loss of income the $ 120,000.00 purchase price could have produced ! Not too smart on my part !!!!!!

cobraman484
12-12-2019, 10:06 AM
I only did 577 this year, my age is starting to show.

ViperJon
12-12-2019, 10:09 AM
I enjoy owning it, just don't enjoy driving it that much...it's my 7th....:)
2017 GTS-R purchased 8/2017. 925 miles.

13COBRA
12-12-2019, 10:22 AM
You guys are killing me. I put almost 1800 track miles on mine this year.

daveg
12-12-2019, 12:20 PM

I don't deserve one anymore. I think my ACR-X got more miles and I've only had it a short while.

:lol2:Its quite possible I got you beat. No comment Paul..... I definitely deserve one.

Fatboy 18
12-12-2019, 01:45 PM
Oh dear.......Chop Chop

ViperNC
12-12-2019, 02:08 PM
I sold one of my other sports cars so I could drive the '16 Viper as much as I can. 3000+ miles since purchased in April and loving every moment. Now it is a balance between the Backdraft Cobra and the Viper. Both are great fun and should get roughly 8000 miles combined each year. Drove the wheels off my '98 GTS and sold that car for exactly what I paid for it. Don't let them sit fellas... :drive:

blingnoring
12-12-2019, 02:39 PM
I enjoy owning it, just don't enjoy driving it that much...it's my 7th....:)
2017 GTS-R purchased 8/2017. 925 miles.

man I love that color combo

ViperGeorge
12-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Heck, I put 1500 miles on my ACR-E in the first week. I needed to break it in so I could hit the track. I now have 20,000 miles on her.

Bruce H.
12-12-2019, 02:55 PM
How do you guys that only do a couple of hundred miles a year justify keeping them...and what fun vehicles are you preferring to drive instead?

ACR-ISH
12-12-2019, 03:12 PM
You guys are killing me. I put almost 1800 track miles on mine this year.

atta boy!

- - - Updated - - -

How do you guys that only do a couple of hundred miles a year justify keeping them...and what fun vehicles are you preferring to drive instead?

convertible Priuses? +1 why own it? If you're salvaging value I guess... but why buy it and drive it so little and choose to keep it? I guess at least we have low mileage cars to choose from down the road..

Simms
12-12-2019, 03:23 PM
I think my ACR-X got more miles and I've only had it a short while.

I'm with you. More time and miles in my Comp Coupe then my Voodoo.

socal
12-12-2019, 03:35 PM

Not pathetic if you drove it for less than 90 minutes.

Hamrhead
12-12-2019, 03:45 PM
I have a place in this thread...:(

Took mine out 4 times this year for a total of ~200 miles. I even put gas in it TWICE this year! (The second time just to make sure it was full for the winter) State Inspection expired back in June. I figure it's parked until Spring now as the weather sucks.

Last year I drove it ONCE, so definite improvement in 2019.

I've owned the car for a little over 3 years now and have put roughly 600 miles on it, but damn I love just looking at it and knowing it's out in the garage.:)

2 jobs/six days/65-75 hours a week for over 29 years now, so I have a limited window of opportunity to drive it.

Gen5snake
12-12-2019, 04:06 PM

Now if it was a 1/4 mile drag car, that would be good.

swexlin
12-12-2019, 04:17 PM
I have a place in this thread...:(

Took mine out 4 times this year for a total of ~200 miles. I even put gas in it TWICE this year! (The second time just to make sure it was full for the winter) State Inspection expired back in June. I figure it's parked until Spring now as the weather sucks.

Last year I drove it ONCE, so definite improvement in 2019.

I've owned the car for a little over 3 years now and have put roughly 600 miles on it, but damn I love just looking at it and knowing it's out in the garage.:)

2 jobs/six days/65-75 hours a week for over 29 years now, so I have a limited window of opportunity to drive it.

No issues with it sitting most of that time? That's what I hate - I always worry about my car sitting for weeks at a time, I know it's not as much of an issue with modern cars, but still I always wonder.

catwood
12-12-2019, 05:21 PM

I hop in the Ram Powerwagon which is actually a very nice driver until you get into one of those small ass parking lots full of small car parking. I've gotten pretty good at squeezing it in. The company I work with just bought a Rubicon which is actually fun in the local drive.

As far as "justify".....I can't. It is expensive eye candy.

swexlin
12-12-2019, 05:24 PM
I too really enjoy my Ram. It's like a Charger with a bed. Handles pretty well, and plenty powerful, and is an all weather driver.

serpent
12-12-2019, 05:43 PM

Could be worse, you could own an ACR and never take it to the track. :lol2:

quickster2
12-12-2019, 05:52 PM
The Viper has to share seat time with 3 motorcycles, hunting, fishing, camping, family, etc. Still average 1000 per year. Never have done the math on ownership. The thrill of hammering 600HP just wipes that thought away:)

BlknBlu
12-12-2019, 05:54 PM
I belong in this thread.

Bruce

Bill Pemberton
12-12-2019, 06:48 PM
I am ashamed that after years of calling Bruce ( BlknBlu ) the King of the Garage Queens I likely put less miles on my Viper this year than he did. Spent too much time dragging my race car around the Country that the Snake stayed coiled in the Pit. I may have dethroned you my friend as I barely put 100 miles on my Blue Gen V.

catwood
12-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Could be worse, you could own an ACR and never take it to the track. :lol2:

Thank God I have a 2nd one or else I'd be in that category also

serpent
12-12-2019, 07:44 PM
This is the saving it for the next guy thread. LOL

Catwood, is your ACR 18 speaker? If you ever sell, let me know, im in norcal.

catwood
12-12-2019, 07:49 PM
This is the saving it for the next guy thread. LOL

Catwood, is your ACR 18 speaker? If you ever sell, let me know, im in norcal.

No, 12 were added. It is a "real" ACR:devilish:

Actually it has lots of nice OEM additions to it. You'd have to catch me at a moment of weakness.

Old School
12-13-2019, 06:24 AM
I see I'm bucking the trend here. I've put 20k miles on my Gen3 this year.

Whiskey
12-13-2019, 08:59 AM
Don't feel bad, that's probably more typical type of mileage a exotic gets. My G5 before I got it avg only about 250mi/yr.

PS: I appreciate all the guys saving cars for me to drive the wheels off in the future. Thanks in advance. Keep the oil changed and lots of fresh waxed for me.

capevettes
12-13-2019, 09:13 AM
Its quite possible I got you beat. No comment Paul..... I definitely deserve one.

That's OK Dave. I'm doing enough driving for the both of us. I do have a little more time than you.

nitromilt
12-13-2019, 09:20 AM
I am ashamed that after years of calling Bruce ( BlknBlu ) the King of the Garage Queens I likely put less miles on my Viper this year than he did. Spent too much time dragging my race car around the Country that the Snake stayed coiled in the Pit. I may have dethroned you my friend as I barely put 100 miles on my Blue Gen V.

Damn, you two big hitters gotta slow down a bit... put 75 miles on my 2017 ACRE in 2019,100 in 2018, and 50 in 2017....

BlknBlu
12-13-2019, 09:33 AM
Damn, you two big hitters gotta slow down a bit... put 75 miles on my 2017 ACRE in 2019,100 in 2018, and 50 in 2017....

Bought my 09 ACR new and the car has 7500 completely enjoyed miles. Also sharing duties with 2 other fun cars too.

Bruce

ViperJon
12-13-2019, 10:14 AM
PS: I appreciate all the guys saving cars for me to drive the wheels off in the future. Thanks in advance. Keep the oil changed and lots of fresh waxed for me.

Start saving up now. They won't come cheap.

SRT_BluByU
12-13-2019, 11:00 AM
I would like to be the first to thank all of you kind fellas for preserving these fine machines for me to enjoy in the future! I love them and drive mine daily with no ill effects! These are amazingly reliable and durable cars!

TheWessss
12-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Over 60,000 on my G3 and just hit 25000 in my G5 ACR, as many track miles as possible is my New Years goal. Keep enjoying them guys!!!!!! But to those who don't, Cheers, for keeping values up and saving her for the next guy.

Policy Limits
12-13-2019, 02:01 PM
1,057 miles since new. Next week will make three years since it was delivered to my house. It's not a practical daily and no space for a child seat. It's cool to have for Sunday funday though.

Scott_in_fl
12-13-2019, 02:16 PM

Excellent questions. Although I do not fall into the "300 mile" category -- I may do 1,000mi/yr (I think 2,500 by now), for me it is a combination of being incredibly busy with work (12 hrs/day in the office), and then finding a way to split the precious remaining weekend hours among kiddos, wife, and other personal interests (cycling, fitness).

There is also some small part of me that likes to keep the miles low -- not for resale -- but because I like feeling every time I drive the car that it is a special occasion and the car always feels brand new. It has the new car smell, it feels and looks new, and it is always a treat. If I were driving it more regularly, I think some of that would go away.

As for what I drive to keep me satisfied at other times, it is a Grand Cherokee SRT. I love, love, love the truck. It is a blast, looks great, is the right size, is comfortable, beautiful inside with the Signature full leather, and drives/handles very well with the AWD. I can only imagine that the Trackhawk must be unbelievable.

I contemplated new X5M or some other similar Euro sporty SUV. But, in the end, I went for the option that saved a good bit of $$$ and I could not be happier. In retrospect, it was definitely 100% the right decision. Those other trucks have nothing on mine other than the badge.

All of that said, this thread needs some pics, so here is a recent cellphone shot from last weekend as the weather is finally getting nice enough to start getting out a bit more (summers for us are not enjoyable to be outdoors -- kinda like the reverse of winters for everyone else).

swexlin
12-13-2019, 03:49 PM
I'm gonna ask again, as I drive mine daily compared to some of you...and mine sits for weeks at a time. Anyone notice any adverse effects from sitting for literally months at a time?

Hamrhead
12-13-2019, 04:15 PM
No issues with it sitting most of that time? That's what I hate - I always worry about my car sitting for weeks at a time, I know it's not as much of an issue with modern cars, but still I always wonder.

Nope. Just stick it in Hibernation Mode every time I park it.

BlknBlu
12-13-2019, 04:38 PM
It is long term storage that will cause issues with gaskets, seals and fluids. I have yet to see a proper procedure for long term storage like 3 + years or more. Over the winter storage is no big deal.

Bruce

SRT_BluByU
12-13-2019, 04:52 PM
I like feeling every time I drive the car that it is a special occasion and the car always feels brand new. It has the new car smell, it feels and looks new, and it is always a treat. If I were driving it more regularly, I think some of that would go away.

Let me reassure you it doesnt!

swexlin
12-13-2019, 06:36 PM
Like Scott in FL, I'm also vert busy - work 50+ hours week, fitness, running, other interests. I don't drive the Viper to work during the week, as I travel on congested roads, with too much traffic. That leaves weekends, and as I said, often involved with other things, and/or the weather sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. Just stick it in Hibernation Mode every time I park it.

Me too, hibernation mode and Battery Tender.

Bruce H.
12-14-2019, 09:36 AM
To those of you that seldom find the time or opportunity to drive your Viper... if it was instead a C7 Corvette, AMG GTS or other more daily drivable sports car do you think you'd have driven it much more?

Those sports car lovers that own a Ferrari often have another sports car that they are comfortable using on a regular basis, with the Ferrari safely tucked away and reserved for very special occasions. I seem to have fallen into that pattern since buying another sports car....which is something I'm determined to change next year.

Hamrhead
12-14-2019, 09:50 AM
To those of you that seldom find the time or opportunity to drive your Viper... if it was instead a C7 Corvette, AMG GTS or other more daily drivable sports car do you think you'd have driven it much more?

Those sports car lovers that own a Ferrari often have another sports car that they are comfortable using on a regular basis, with the Ferrari safely tucked away and reserved for very special occasions. I seem to have fallen into that pattern since buying another sports car....which is something I'm determined to change next year.

I've considered picking up a C5/C6 ZO6, or even a C4 ZR1 to DD, but then I figure I'd drive the Viper even less. Even a C7 - Pretty good discounts on those right now!

My current ATS-V/6 speed M/T is a fun ride, but it ain't a Viper.

Now I'm thinking about trading the ATS for a Model 3 Performance. I think I'm ready to try electric. It'll be speedy as hell, but again, it won't feel like the Viper at all. The AWD Tesla will get me through the snow better than the ATS too.

catwood
12-14-2019, 10:02 AM

Simple answer is No for me. It's really not a matter of driving it, I like driving it. One thing that has reduced my driving is I work from home so the "Drive it to work on Friday" doesn't apply like it did a few years back. Now it's a planned deliberate drive not a spur in the moment. Pull the cover off and fold it up, pull the tender move what ever is behind it in the driveway vs jump in the truck and go. Most of the time I need to go somewhere I'm running late anyway so I just take the easiest one.

I need to do one of two things. Deliberately motivate myself and plan to drive it more often or sell it which I don't want to do.

nwa_viper
12-14-2019, 11:53 AM
I had the pleasure of putting 8K miles on mine this year! Couldn’t imagine saving it for the next owner’s fun.

Arizona Vipers
12-14-2019, 01:27 PM
Catwood hurry up and sell it so I can get your Forgeline's!!!!! :cool:
How are you liking your beast ACR-X???

Desert Venom Racer
12-14-2019, 01:57 PM
5,000 miles per year between my Viper and my GT350. Another 5,000 miles per year as a passenger in Lyft or Uber between my home and my club. Similar thread in another forum and someone had a great quote: "Not driving your sports car is like not having sex with your virgin girlfriend so that her future boyfriend will appreciate her more"

ViperJon
12-14-2019, 02:18 PM
5,000 miles per year between my Viper and my GT350. Another 5,000 miles per year as a passenger in Lyft or Uber between my home and my club. Similar thread in another forum and someone had a great quote: "Not driving your sports car is like not having sex with your virgin girlfriend so that her future boyfriend will appreciate her more"

If I only had a nickel for the amount of times I've heard a version of that quote going back..... oh I don't know....25 years?

catwood
12-14-2019, 02:26 PM
Catwood hurry up and sell it so I can get your Forgeline's!!!!! :cool:
How are you liking your beast ACR-X???

only out twice so far. Looking forward to more track events next year. With NASA I'll have to run restrictor plates. Waiting to get a dyno schedule to see how bad. TT1 is the plan but it's looking like I'll be in China for the race school in March. Plus I'm gone the first event at Chuckwalla for sure......

Forgelines will go with the car most likely. Or I can order new fronts that fit the X and sell my fronts.

ViperNC
12-15-2019, 07:39 AM

Heh, heh... I haven't heard that one in a while, but true analogy. When I picked up my Gen5 this year I still had my GT500 and Cobra with the intention of driving all three cars regularly. It soon became evident that was becoming undesirable as the first step was playing musical cars moving the Jeep or Expedition to get the one out I wanted to drive and then heading straight for a gas station. Seems like I was always on empty when I left the house. So I sold the GT500 3 months later. Its going to be a nice day today in the mid 50's here in NC and I'll be out there in the Viper soon. Encouragement to all who have the opportunity to do so as well.

catwood
12-18-2019, 12:27 PM
well....I picked up the wife in it last night from work and we went to a Christmas party at one of her coworkers houses. I've increased my miles this year by about 15% with that drive!

Arizona Vipers
12-18-2019, 01:57 PM
only out twice so far. Looking forward to more track events next year. With NASA I'll have to run restrictor plates. Waiting to get a dyno schedule to see how bad. TT1 is the plan but it's looking like I'll be in China for the race school in March. Plus I'm gone the first event at Chuckwalla for sure......

Forgelines will go with the car most likely. Or I can order new fronts that fit the X and sell my fronts.

Man that sucks you are going to miss Chuckwalla! It's going to be a huge event.

Policy Limits
12-18-2019, 02:18 PM
I might pick up a C8 in the spring and daily beat it.

catwood
12-18-2019, 03:04 PM
I might pick up a C8 in the spring and daily beat it.

Braggart. I'm getting to old to daily beat it.

Whiskey
12-18-2019, 03:23 PM
With a Gen5 (GTS) I don't see why you wouldn't daily it. I drive mine daily. It's by far the most comfy, awesome interior, sexy exterior, get ok mpg's and plenty of power for a daily but I'd still like to supercharge as I like my cars crazy. The clutch is pretty light (lighter than a mustang) so being stuck in stop/go isn't a big deal.

It never gets old as everyplace I go I'm a rockstar. Even the mundane gas stops end up being a blast 60% of the time.

Miles = Smiles GAWD

Policy Limits
12-18-2019, 04:46 PM
I agree. Definitely drove my GTS more. Those pirellis were conducive to daily driving. Considered picking up another for that reason but the C8 is stupid cheap, new, warranty, etc.

ACRSNK
12-18-2019, 08:49 PM
Also thinking about picking up a C8 for a daily

ACRSNK
12-18-2019, 08:51 PM

Buick GNX 00 Cobra R other Vipers various Mustangs and Camaros and potentially a C8

capevettes
12-19-2019, 05:18 AM
Buick GNX 00 Cobra R other Vipers various Mustangs and Camaros and potentially a C8

My order is in for the C8 and I will likely take delivery in early April.

Also, I signed up for a day on the track at the National Corvette Museum Motorsports Track on March 13 in Bowling Green, Ky. Should be a blast. My car may be going through the Assembly Plant that week. I will let you know how it goes.

Vegaskid
12-19-2019, 06:55 AM
With a Gen5 (GTS) I don't see why you wouldn't daily it.

Houston traffic sucks, heat is horrible if you're not moving and we have more shit lying in the roads than anybody in the country. If I had a dollar for every ladder I've gone around on 290...

commandomatt
12-19-2019, 07:19 AM

I guess I fit into the Ferrari analogy you describe.

Zero miles on my 06 this year. At Eddies right now and getting headers installed. Also new bearings in the Paxton that was getting a bit noisy. Once done, I suspect this will see some miles next driving season.

Zero miles on the 10 ACR this year. Tucked away in the garage. Love this car.

150 miles on the 17 ACRE this year. One trip to Telluride on some of the best mountain roads out there.

Now I am looking at adding a 1959/60 Cadillac. Get some bags on it so it will lay all the way down. Late model engine possibly. Miss having a vintage car

I get much enjoyment out of just being around these cars. Do not have to drive them for that.

For those that drive the wheels off of theirs....good for you ! Just do not tell me what I need to do with mine in order to make me happy. To each his own

Scott_in_fl
12-19-2019, 10:17 AM
^^^ Excellent point about not needing to drive the cars to enjoy them. Strange, but true. I still walk into the garage every evening, sometimes making up an excuse with the family, just to see and be around the car.

"I'm just going to look for something in the freezer... be right back", and then it turns into a 10 minute gawk session as I ponder what I might tweak next -- performance, aesthetics, etc. I then grab a small bag of frozen peas, turn off the lights and walk back into the house.

Then, the following day it's "I have to put something away in the freezer... be right back" :)

ACRSNK
12-19-2019, 10:48 AM
My order is in for the C8 and I will likely take delivery in early April.

Also, I signed up for a day on the track at the National Corvette Museum Motorsports Track on March 13 in Bowling Green, Ky. Should be a blast. My car may be going through the Assembly Plant that week. I will let you know how it goes.

Hey Paul

That

ACRSNK
12-19-2019, 10:49 AM
That will be amazing for sure

ky13
12-19-2019, 11:45 AM
Mild winters here in WV; I drive my G3 at least once a week throughout the year.

Old School
12-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Just do not tell me what I need to do with mine in order to make me happy. To each his own

This