PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Rear Applique

dsp300c
11-25-2019, 08:18 AM
Does anyone have one for sale? I highly doubt it but thought I'd ask anyways. Or does anyone have a hookup on them? I see them for $2,000 shipped from online dealers.

ViperGeorge
11-25-2019, 08:23 AM
Does anyone have one for sale? I highly doubt it but thought I'd ask anyways. Or does anyone have a hookup on them? I see them for $2,000 shipped from online dealers.

That actually sounds cheap to me at least for an OEM one. Dodge usually wants your first and second born children in addition to a trunk full of money for their carbon stuff. Of course I've never actually priced one so don't listen to me.

dsp300c
11-25-2019, 08:30 AM
That actually sounds cheap to me at least for an OEM one. Dodge usually wants your first and second born children in addition to a trunk full of money for their carbon stuff. Of course I've never actually priced one so don't listen to me.

This is from MoparPartsGiant...I've bought all sorts of stuff from them with no issues.

SRT_BluByU
11-25-2019, 08:42 AM
if the carbon one is the $1925 part.. whats the difference between the $344 and $732 parts? thought it was either urethane or carbon? didnt know there was a third option? maybe one painted black and the other in primer?

dsp300c
11-25-2019, 08:50 AM
if the carbon one is the $1925 part.. whats the difference between the $344 and $732 parts? thought it was either urethane or carbon? didnt know there was a third option? maybe one painted black and the other in primer?

I think the $344 would be a primered part and the $732 would be a body color painted.

ViperGeorge
11-25-2019, 10:39 AM
I think the $344 would be a primered part and the $732 would be a body color painted.

I believe there were three options, carbon fiber, gloss black, and body color. I would imagine the $732 part would be the one finished in gloss black and the $344 part is in primer and probably needs paint to match the body.

Special Ed
11-25-2019, 03:13 PM

If you haven't installed one you are in for a treat or nightmare. There has been more than a few damaged during garage installs. Xtremesupercars prefers to sell this part to a dealer or body shop as many have ruined them on self install and then tried to claim a faulty part. I understand that you have to disassemble most of the back of the car to install them.

dsp300c
11-25-2019, 03:19 PM
If you haven't installed one you are in for a treat or nightmare. There has been more than a few damaged during garage installs. Xtremesupercars prefers to sell this part to a dealer or body shop as many have ruined them on self install and then tried to claim a faulty part. I understand that you have to disassemble most of the back of the car to install them.

never done it before but i have the instructions from dodge. not sure how much that will help. i do see you have to take alot apart.

ViperNC
11-25-2019, 04:23 PM
never done it before but i have the instructions from dodge. not sure how much that will help. i do see you have to take alot apart.

Maybe you could attach the instructions so we can all see it?

gpbtt
11-25-2019, 05:21 PM
I installed mine.....it takes 2 people and gentle hands!

ACR-ISH
11-25-2019, 06:14 PM
The install is complicated by how sturdy the carbon is, not so much the install itself. I took mine out (came white) to paint it black. It was easy-ish, if not time consuming. I'm sure the OEM carbon piece is much easier to install and it gets harder depending on how far off the A/M part is. Definitely don't do it yourself if you don't wanna scratch something. Let a shop do it. Doing it black was the best bang for the buck, ever. But it was free... so it's hard to complain!

dsp300c
11-25-2019, 10:49 PM
Maybe you could attach the instructions so we can all see it?

Found this online

https://www.imagesmartdealer.com/mopar_accessories_isheet/K6862068.PDF

Cpl
11-26-2019, 06:09 AM
I installed an Agency Power piece by myself and it is not something I'd like to go through again unless absolutely necessary let alone by the same part from that manufacturer.

Special Ed
11-26-2019, 06:39 AM
Found this online

Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes, give or take 6 to 8 hours and a couple of people.

ViperNC
11-26-2019, 07:48 AM
Found this online

Thanks for the intel. Looks a bit more involved than I originally thought, but not too difficult. Still.... I might pay someone to do it.

I installed an Agency Power piece by myself and it is not something I'd like to go through again unless absolutely necessary let alone by the same part from that manufacturer.

Feel free to expand on your thoughts about your experience with their product. I'd be interested in your opinion.

ACR-ISH
11-26-2019, 10:23 AM
So worth it!!!!

Cpl
11-26-2019, 11:12 PM
Feel free to expand on your thoughts about your experience with their product. I'd be interested in your opinion.

The carbon looks nice , I'll give them that. However, fitment was not perfect. I had to enlarge the holes on top where the plastic push pins go because they didn't totally line up. My car didnt have a backup camera so I installed one but the hole for the camera was too small so I had to enlarge th as t as well. Now believe it or not, those are actually minor issues to me. No biggie.
What upset me is the OEM piece has screw holes to bolt the taillights and the backup camera to the OEM applique, but the carbon piece did not. It was just globs of extra material. This made it difficult as I had to figure out how to attach the taillights and camera. I had to source bolts&screws from my miscellaneous bag that would fit and drill holes into the carbon piece trying to make sure it's not misaligned and crack it.
So that was the most disappointing part. I would have paid extra for a more quality part. Even one of their carbon side brake ducts I had an issue with where their bolt didnt line up with the factory hole.

ViperGeorge
11-27-2019, 07:05 AM
So worth it!!!!

Funny thing. To me the car looks great either way. With the white taillight panel the car looks "clean" and it shows the lines of the car off well. The black panel adds contrast and ties in well with other black treatments on the car such as the wing and diffuser. I would be happy either way. I have a white GTS with Graphite stripes. Because it is a striped car it came with the black panel. Your car may be the first white car I recall seeing with a body colored panel and I do like it. I am pretty sure the body colored panel was installed on non-striped cars while the black was installed on cars with stripes. The carbon fiber panel came on TAs and was an option on other models.

In any case, a great looking ride.

q8blueviper
11-27-2019, 03:14 PM
Use your own

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/23131-Applying-carbon-fiber-on-tail-light-surround-pics-pics

AZTVR
11-27-2019, 04:42 PM
Use your own

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/23131-Applying-carbon-fiber-on-tail-light-surround-pics-pics
Interesting ! A fake carbon fiber part, made using real carbon fiber!

Luisv
11-28-2019, 08:03 AM
I went with the Xtreme piece. Fit was spot on and looks amazing on the car. I did the install myself. An extra set of hands would be required but I had the help of a lift. You'll see what I mean when you see the write up.

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/21939-Carbon-Fiber-Rear-Applique-Install

ViperNC
11-28-2019, 09:15 AM
I went with the Xtreme piece. Fit was spot on and looks amazing on the car. I did the install myself. An extra set of hands would be required but I had the help of a lift. You'll see what I mean when you see the write up.

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/21939-Carbon-Fiber-Rear-Applique-Install

That is an awesome and detailed step by step tutorial! Now the hard decision: DIY or pay for installation? I'm thinking pay somebody to ensure it is done properly rather than rely on my "bull in a china shop wrench skills".

Lost me beer
11-28-2019, 11:06 AM
I did mine myself and it wasn

Lost me beer
11-28-2019, 11:09 AM
I hate computers...
Troy

Luisv
11-29-2019, 08:09 AM
The main reason I decided to remove the back bumper was precisely because I did not know where the clips sat and I was afraid of damaging the receiving ends of each if I pulled the "wrong way". By taking the rear bumper off, it's all right in front of you.

As for a second set of hands... definitely. The only reason I tried it alone was because I had the lift and literally positioned the bumper on boxes from underneath and simply brought the car to it. I only ended up lifting the thing about an inch as I put it back into place.

dsp300c
12-02-2019, 09:50 AM
My rear OEM carbon applique hasn't arrived yet but I'm looking over the instructions online that I found and it says there are 6 applique clips that come with the bumper. Can anyone confirm that their oem carbon one came with these clips? If not then I need to see if I can find them online even though I don't see a part number for them.

Lost me beer
12-02-2019, 06:29 PM
Just reuse what came off yours.
Troy

Fulltilt
12-03-2019, 06:51 PM
A little off topic, has anyone painted the rear applique with the stripes going through the plate area like the 96 GTS? If so, any pictures? I don't think I have seen anyone paint the front grill the same color as the car either. Not sure either would look right on the newer body style but I like how it looks on the 96 GTS.